Ema - Educational Maintenence Allowence

Mr Motivator

i think it's a stupid idea. it basically just bribes people to go to college. A lot of the people i know say they wouldn't bother going to college every day if they didn't get EMA :D it just defeats the object of learning, and parents like mine who are in a higher income group have to pay more tax to fund crap schemes like this. No one actually spends their EMA money on travel expenses or books etc, usually on food/booze/fags etc instead. The £100 bonus is the most stupid part though. £100 3 times a year just for turning up to college? wtf? and what do people spend that on i wonder? one of my mates put it towards a Mutiny Sinister BMX frame, and someone else bought a new phone. yeh great idea mr Blair :D and people like me cant sponge off the state, and have to pay for their own phones, bikes, petrol or woteva because our PARENTS earn more money :turned:

So, are you trying to say, because you parents earn more money than mine they're better? I hope you're having a f**king laugh, my parents are divorced, and my mum works in a school, it isn't her fault the government pays her shit wages for what she does. She isn't a cleaner or something like that, she's the only person in the school who will deal with the "special needs" kids who are basically the naughty kids.

It didn't bribe me to go to 6th form when I was there, I went in everyday until I finished my AS level courses, then I stopped as I knew I was leaving. The only days I didn't go in were when I was ill. Argh I hate people who talk shit. I could go into this more but I'm bored.

So, are you trying to say, because you parents earn more money than mine they're better? I hope you're having a f**king laugh, my parents are divorced, and my mum works in a school, it isn't her fault the government pays her shit wages for what she does. She isn't a cleaner or something like that, she's the only person in the school who will deal with the "special needs" kids who are basically the naughty kids.

It didn't bribe me to go to 6th form when I was there, I went in everyday until I finished my AS level courses, then I stopped as I knew I was leaving. The only days I didn't go in were when I was ill. Argh I hate people who talk shit. I could go into this more but I'm bored.

She knows how to handle you then!!

of course im not trying to say my parents are better :turned: and im not talking shit, im merely stating my opinion. just because my parents earn more money, it doesn't mean they spend it on me. in fact, a lot of my friends whose parents earn less than mine actually live more comfortably than me (in that they have more free money to spend) i work f*cking hard for my money, and some of my friends get away with working at bloody waitrose for 2 hours a week, because they get so much money from the government. im not saying they should abolish EMA, but i think this "£100 bonus" is a piss take to the taxpayer, and i think there should be tighter regulations on how the money can be spent.

Edit: imagine how many £££££million is given away each time the £100 bonus is due? and meanwhile perfectly healthy people are dying in hospitals simply because we have such a s*it under funded NHS. i just think vast amounts of money like this needs to be spent in much better ways

Edited by Wayne-king

of course im not trying to say my parents are better :turned: and im not talking shit, im merely stating my opinion. just because my parents earn more money, it doesn't mean they spend it on me. in fact, a lot of my friends whose parents earn less than mine actually live more comfortably than me (in that they have more free money to spend) i work f*cking hard for my money, and some of my friends get away with working at bloody waitrose for 2 hours a week, because they get so much money from the government. im not saying they should abolish EMA, but i think this "£100 bonus" is a piss take to the taxpayer, and i think there should be tighter regulations on how the money can be spent.

Basically, your parents earn more than mine, I'm guessing. Therefore if you ever got into money trouble they could help you out. Mine can't, also I'm sure they take you, or did take you on holidays etc. Once again we barely ever go on holiday. Also, usually, if you have an incentive to work you will. Like I did, they give you £30 a week and you work harder, or work all the time etc. Then you go onto Uni etc, then you get a better job and end up paying more taxes so you pay back that £3k the government gave you in a year.

Well I'll be using it for traveling as I'll be getting the train to college. So say £30 a week (max, cause I might not even get that much) and lets say with a travel card the train is £2 a day and I'll be at college 4 days a week, so thats £8 a week gone on trains and lets say for arguments sake I only get a £10 a week that leaves me with £2 to buy sweeets :turned:

Sam

Yeah I thought the whole point was to 'bribe' people to stay at school? Surely that's a good thing? More people stay in school, many of which then go to uni/get better jobs than they would have = more tax in long run, 'better' workforce, better economy? Plus loadsa other benefits from having a generally more clever population?

I know in many cases (e.g. with me), people would have stayed at school anyway so the EMA is wasted. But I'm pretty sure that in other areas, e.g. less well off where kids might be under pressure/just want cash, it gets kids to stay at schoolo rather than end up working in the same dead end job all their life?

But yeah I can see how it seems crazy, I mean #30 a week is quite a bit, and the bonuses do seem stupid. But I'm sure the government will know a hell of a lot more than us lot about whether it will benefit people or not.

atleast its not being used to fund something as pathetic as the nhs  :turned:"

You wont be saying that if you fall off your bike and brake your leg. (Touch wood).

Ok well i dont really need the money seeing as im in full time work and do get a lovely wage (which i just got my pay slip today for :D ) but i seriously do think its a stupid idea reason:

It basically says less wealthy people are not wanting to go to school, but we can encourage them by giving them rewards ie: money! ok great idea it seems to be working in some aspect.

But what about the people who are better off than the others, yeah i agree maybe they dont need the money as much because their parents can provide more for them but its kind of being judgemental "if you child is wealthy they will want to go to school anyway, if they are less wealthy they wont want to go to school" now how much of a screwed up idea is that.

My parents income wouldnt get me a single penny of that EMA and thats not the reason i dropped outta school straight after year 11 but i did anyway because i had a job lined up, so my parents being wealthier didnt keep me in school.

How are we meant to encourage the more wealthy kids to go to school, they dont see any rewards in the future for them by being at school other than people who are intelligent enough to work out that good grades CAN mean something, not always because its more of a who you know not what you know basis these days.

We need something that helps to encourage the wealthier peoples kids to stay in school at the moment it just seems to be support from the parents and a self deciscion but thats not gonna cut it forever.

stu :turned:

I got £30 a week last year at college. Mine had to go 2wards petrol though :turned: as I live 14miles away from my college. I only had 2 bonus'. £100 in December and another £100 a week ago. The money soon disappears especially as I'm a girl who loves to shop :D"

Miles you came across a bit of a cock in those posts. My parents are on less that £30k and so I get EMA. I dont spend any of my money from EMA as its all going towards UNI! My parents cant afford shite for me and I work 16 hours a week ontop of my schooling to pay for my bike and journeys and whatever. None of it relys on the government but im trying to learn to drive and buy a car and insure it which I can't do without job! But I still wont touch my EMA so don't tell me everyone who gets it f**ks around and spends it on booze, I may not live in as bigga house as my new friends at grammer school but I'm a damn sight happier and even more loved by my family! That should count for more than anything!

James

Ive got an apprenticeship so i got £75 a week form that and £30 from the EMA , this year i get £100 from apprenticeship and £30 EMA ,so i get £130 apprenticeships are amazing

Yeah me to i just like a good argue lol, i'm on starting wage of 130 a week. (Y)

EMA is stupid. I think that giving them money is a silly idea, as they just spend it on non-school related things, as it was mentioned before. Phones, Fags, Alcohol, whatever. Hardly anyone will buy £30's worth of school related stuff, or stuff they NEED. And I mean NEED, not WANT. They're different things.

I'm going to be working around 10 hours a week. For my own money. Hard work. For £50 a week. Where-as someone who does f**k all. No work. No Nothing. Gets £30 free money a week.

My allowance from my parents is £50 a month. That's for stuff I need, goin' out if I want, hair stuff, aftershave or whatever, contributes to new clothes which aren't a necessity etc. I think it's rediculous how they're giving away so much money.

People who are jobless. That's anothing thing that annoys me. Not particularly the ones who want jobs and are actually doing something about not having a job, but the ones who are quite content to sit at home. Watch tv and see the government funding for it roll into their banks. It's stupid.

My household income is around Ermm. £55,000 a year i suspect. £37,000 from my mum who works really hard as the International Manager of Wakefield college, and £18,000 for my dad, who's a lorry driver for Cleanaway.

My parents are far from being 'rich'. We're contently happy, but skint at the moment just because my sister's going through University (£3000 a year) and they've got the Morgage to pay off still, 2 cars and the loan for the drive we've just had done.

My parents will be stretched more than most to buy me new stuff for school. It's non uniform so i'll need some new shoes, and jeans / tops / coats etc. Then there's books, gotta pay for my bus fare (£8 a week) and then dinners (£12 a week). That's £20 a week on food and busses. Every week. Grr.

Stupid f**king government. I agree with the conservatives. If you can work, you should, if you don't work, you get f**k all money from the government. Therefore, you've gotta work.

Grr. (Y)

EMA is stupid. I think that giving them money is a silly idea, as they just spend it on non-school related things, as it was mentioned before. Phones, Fags, Alcohol, whatever. Hardly anyone will buy £30's worth of school related stuff, or stuff they NEED. And I mean NEED, not WANT. They're different things.

I'm going to be working around 10 hours a week. For my own money. Hard work. For £50 a week. Where-as someone who does f**k all. No work. No Nothing. Gets £30 free money a week.

My allowance from my parents is £50 a month. That's for stuff I need, goin' out if I want, hair stuff, aftershave or whatever, contributes to new clothes which aren't a necessity etc. I think it's rediculous how they're giving away so much money.

People who are jobless. That's anothing thing that annoys me. Not particularly the ones who want jobs and are actually doing something about not having a job, but the ones who are quite content to sit at home. Watch tv and see the government funding for it roll into their banks. It's stupid.

My parents are far from being 'rich'. We're contently happy, but skint at the moment just because my sister's going through University (£3000 a year) and they've got the Morgage to pay off still, 2 cars and the loan for the drive we've just had done.

My parents will be stretched more than most to buy me new stuff for school. It's non uniform so i'll need some new shoes, and jeans / tops / coats etc. Then there's books, gotta pay for my bus fare (£8 a week) and then dinners (£12 a week). That's £20 a week on food and busses. Every week. Grr.

I like to tend to stay out of discussions liek this one, but I thought this might be a worthwhile post. I am not trying to put you down or fight here, just show my side of the story.

To clarify where I stand: I got EMA, due to my parents earning near the to £30k boundary between them I got £10 a week.

I can see that some people may misuse this benefit, but it is usefull and worthwhile to many. I had to get the train to college as I live in a silly new town with nothing but houses and more houses. It worked out best to get a train pass which was £10 a week, admittedly my parents gave me £5 towards that, so I had £5 a week of EMA to use for what I wished. I will admit this just went in the with rest of my money spent on sweets biking etc, but it was usefull.

You say your parents have to pay for your sisters uni, school lunches and buses. They dont have to they just can due to thier income level. My parents did admitedly help me with trains, as above but they cannot and will not help me thuogh uni, if i go and I only had 1 school meal a week due to costs. The rest of the time I had packed lunches.

You say you get £50 a month allowance. After the age of 16 when I got a paper round I got no money from my parents as an alowance, only £8 a month (£2 a week) from my gran. I have to work to afford all my biking stuff , any clothes I dont need and put lots towards shoes etc.

Basically what i'm saying is that becuase your more well off you can have more things that you migth take for granted, you parents can give you £50 allowance, even thuogh your getting a job. Some of the people getting £30 EMA might not get much if any allowance. So they have every right to spend it on sweets and going out etc.

I see no problem with it. I think some people get a bit sour grapes about it when they miss out on effectivly free money.

i am 16 i don't get an allowance frommy parents i am too old. i earn my own money and next year will get £10.00 from EMA. don't get me wrong i am sure if something happened my parents would give me some money...but in my opinion i am learning the value of money...slate me for this if you like.i actually dont give a tiny rats arse.

(don't complain if you are still getting 'pocket money' and your parents earn lots of money or you aren't getting ema. not really worth worrying about to be honest is it. its a pretty petty 'argument' i suppose you could call it.)

My household income is around Ermm. £55,000 a year i suspect. £37,000 from my mum who works really hard as the International Manager of Wakefield college, and £18,000 for my dad, who's a lorry driver for Cleanaway.

Stupid f**king government. I agree with the conservatives. If you can work, you should, if you don't work, you get f**k all money from the government. Therefore, you've gotta work.

Grr. ;)

Sorry to quote all that complete bull shit.

Did you read my last post? Has anybody? NOT EVERYBODY SPENDS THERE EMA ON NON-SCHOOL RELATED SHIZ! My parents can by no stretch afford to put me through UNI so all my EMA is going towards my uni fund! Your parents earn enough to send your sister, im paying for myself to go to uni, no help from anyone! So f**k off before you get all high and mighty with me telling me how I spend my ema, I don't choose to get it but whos going to say no? Surely its better if I get a better education and give more back to the community as a better paid individual than drop out and live on benefits?

Argh some people! Just cause you don't get it you can't see the good! It's easy to say somethings bad if you've never tried it!

James (Y)

Sorry to quote all that complete bull shit.

Did you read my last post? Has anybody? NOT EVERYBODY SPENDS THERE EMA ON NON-SCHOOL RELATED SHIZ! My parents can by no stretch afford to put me through UNI so all my EMA is going towards my uni fund! Your parents earn enough to send your sister, im paying for myself to go to uni, no help from anyone! So f**k off before you get all high and mighty with me telling me how I spend my ema, I don't choose to get it but whos going to say no? Surely its better if I get a better education and give more back to the community as a better paid individual than drop out and live on benefits?

Argh some people! Just cause you don't get it you can't see the good! It's easy to say somethings bad if you've never tried it!

James (Y)

Exactly right. Mod661, count yourself f**king lucky you live in a well-off family, I'm sure many people would give anything to have a £55k a year income so stop moaning. You come across as a spoilt child.

I'm not getting it. It's a 15 minute train journey to the college I'm going to, at 2.40 return, up to £12 a week, and £400 a year for a pass, which is to be payed by the student('s family). Neither will they pay for a student card to reduce fairs. It's a bit much. Not much I can do so I best get looking for a real job. (Y)

Haz