Heatsink Brake Pads

Enigma

Just to answer your question, if your talking about the Honigs's then yes they are far better, i thought my blacks were good with a bit of tar but i wouldnt go near the stuff now, even with a smooth rim they hold, not much modulation though and alot of squeek before they bed in.(I was using a CD D521)

Kieron :ermm:

I must say the Honig pads I got last week are the best pads I've used in a fair while. My brake works and feels great since I fitted them. Which is more than I can say for the Toxsin pads which lasted about 5 rides and were pants both with and without a grind. :ermm:

Dan

Hmm. Seen some 'worrying' pics of the Honigs after not much use.

I really dig the whole Heatsink shit, it's just those "Tested to perfection" and "extensive testing" tags on the website that I feel are misleading. The way the Konigs were basically marketted as a finished, final product was shady, considering they're now changed. Seeing as they had a fairly high price tag on them anyway, having them cost that much only for them still to realistically speaking being in the late testing phase was a bit sketchy. I know Steve's in a rock/hardplace style dilemma where he needs money to test which he has to get from selling product, but it still kinda irks me.

Hi Mark,

You're right - mistakes have been made in the past (Y) In hindsight the red pads were made available too early, with the limitations of use not fully understood so the wear life on grinds didn't justify the cost of £14. Fault lies squarely with me. I have to rely on others to test pads because of my busy homelife, and should have stuck my neck out to focus on getting the testing team completely fool proof - comprising those who are super critical and will tell me it straight even it it's not good news! I genuinely did think the pads had been rigoursly tested to perfection at the time, but from this learning experience the positive effect is that this fault has been remedied.

Since then I've found some guys who can really tell me how it is, warts and all, plus these guys are running regularily harshly ground rims and riding with more regularity than many other riders, whilst also going big! In this way I'm learning the worst case scenarios for wear life and performance and being guided by this. I guess the realisation is the amount of time it takes to build up knowledge of those riders whose judgement is spot on, and it takes an issue such as with the information that slipped through the net with the red pads, to underline those riders who are the dons for testing!

For an example of these test riders, take Mr Fatmike, who has tried out pretty much all my pads since day one, and looking back has assessed each one pretty spot on now the dust has cleared. Also, I'm pleased to have Adam Read from Tartybikes also riding the pads hard and giving me his valued assessment. I have many more riders trying the various pads out, and through building relationships with these riders, I am now getting some really useful feedback, and not just the good news we all like to hear.

I really hope that by slashing the price of the surplus Honig pads, plus making clear their wear life limitations when run on harsh grinds, the price is immediately fair and gives great value for money. More than one well known manufacturer of brake pads with similar wear deficiencies doesn't make this clear and still charge over the odds prices - although two wrongs don't make a right of course!

When the pads in the new compound are available, on the approval of my new crack team, then I'm pleased to announce that prices are only going one way - Down!

At that point I will have enough unshakeable faith in the pads that I will happy to make them available at a price, lower than my previous full RRP pads, which will show it once and for all I'm in it for the longterm return rather than the quick buck and that I'm not going to loose sight of the whole reason I started down this path in the first place which was to challenge the hegemony of pad supply where prices were (and still are) rather elevated!

Steve

Hmm.  Seen some 'worrying' pics of the Honigs after not much use.

I really dig the whole Heatsink shit, it's just those "Tested to perfection" and "extensive testing" tags on the website that I feel are misleading.  The way the Konigs were basically marketted as a finished, final product was shady, considering they're now changed.  Seeing as they had a fairly high price tag on them anyway, having them cost that much only for them still to realistically speaking being in the late testing phase was a bit sketchy.  I know Steve's in a rock/hardplace style dilemma where he needs money to test which he has to get from selling product, but it still kinda irks me.