Khe Collapse Chain

<scruff>

stick with the kool, they are the best (Y) strong and lighter-ive never used anything that can beat them for trials use

The Collapse is stronger though, and it certainly doesn't make the god-f**king-awful noise ever KMC Kool has made on my 12t sprocket (Y)\ They're specifically designed for smaller drivers, so it's going to work better with dinkier trials gearing.

Really, really love mine. I've been through 2 Kools, so I fancied a change anyway.

Gonna get one for my BMX (Y)

Hi!

Just adding to Onzaboymark's post about the noisy KMC's... mine is a litte annoying also. I think it is everytime it passes over the "shifting tooth" on the rear cassette it catches and makes a sound. Its not the rear mech adjustment as I have fiddled with that many times already! If the Collapse is quiet I might consider that if/when I need a new chain.

~Gaz

Hi!

Just adding to Onzaboymark's post about the noisy KMC's... mine is a litte annoying also. I think it is everytime it passes over  the "shifting tooth" on the rear cassette it catches and makes a sound. Its not the rear mech adjustment as I have fiddled with that many times already! If the Collapse is quiet I might consider that if/when I need a new chain.

~Gaz

This is with a fixed sprocket on the rear. It just sounds a bit like a tractor at times (Y) But either way, the Collapse is just a better chain, really.

This is with a fixed sprocket on the rear.  It just sounds a bit like a tractor at times :P  But either way, the Collapse is just a better chain, really.

mark, you always seem to end your replies with the word 'really' its class (Y) :P

(Y)

do you run yours with the quick link its supplied with? i've heard they are weak, but im not sure, really.

(Y)

My quick-link's still a virgin, let's just leave it as that.

Really.

(Y)

a snap virgin or a being used virgin?

because i can never trust chain joins, i always like using the supplied quick links where i can.

mark, could you do me a favour please? if you have a piece af kmc kool chain quick link and a piece of khe collapse chain, could u please see if they are compatible?

ta

Will

I'm actually using my KMC Kool quick-link, and having spent hours at various points trying to get the whore of a clip to undo, I know the shape of it pretty well. The KMC Kool quick-link is like an 'orthodox' chain link shape (just the standard loose figure of 8 if you get me), however the KHE is curved so it almost looks like the larger sideplate of a KMC Kool. Weird. Anyway, they SHOULD be compatible. If you think about it, the pin bits HAVE to be the same distance apart, so there's no real reason it shouldn't work. The sideplates are fairly similar in width (if not the same) and the internal gauge will be the same too, so it should work hunky dory.

I'll check tomorrow for you though munchkin.

I'm actually using my KMC Kool quick-link, and having spent hours at various points trying to get the whore of a clip to undo, I know the shape of it pretty well.  The KMC Kool quick-link is like an 'orthodox' chain link shape (just the standard loose figure of 8 if you get me), however the KHE is curved so it almost looks like the larger sideplate of a KMC Kool.  Weird.  Anyway, they SHOULD be compatible.  If you think about it, the pin bits HAVE to be the same distance apart, so there's no real reason it shouldn't work.  The sideplates are fairly similar in width (if not the same) and the internal gauge will be the same too, so it should work hunky dory.

I'll check tomorrow for you though munchkin.

that'd be great if you could check (Y)

because i will be using a khe for my next chain me thinks (Y)

ta

I getcha.

It should do, yeah. I mean, like I said, the difference between the pins is gonna be the same as the KHE quickie, and the thickness of the link should be fairly damn similar too, so it should be good to go (Y)

I'll double check though, like I said (Y)

EDIT: I'm a dumbass. The quick-link replaces the outer plates, so yeah, it will almost definitely fit. The width of the thinner parts of the link (male? female? who knows... *Cough*Tart*cough*) will be the same simply because it has to be to be the right gauge. As long as you've got a KMC Kool regular, not thin, it'll be absofriggin'lutely perfect.

sorry i didnt type it right, i was wondering whether a kmc quick link would work with a collapse chain (Y)

It doesn't, I tried, the Collapse is wider (Y)

Shame really as I need split links for ease of removal and I dont have a chain tool that fits the KMC or KHE chains, The Collapse split link snapped after about 5-10 casually small rides, wasn't happy, I've now had to put a proper link on by banging a brick against the chain which it was against my chainstay to get the pin through.... not ideal (Y)

It doesn't, I tried, the Collapse is wider (Y)

Shame really as I need split links for ease of removal and I dont have a chain tool that fits the KMC or KHE chains, The Collapse split link snapped after about 5-10 casually small rides, wasn't happy, I've now had to put a proper link on by banging a brick against the chain which it was against my chainstay to get the pin through.... not ideal  (Y)

eeek!

nevermind, i will stick the kmc i think, unless khe bring out a better quick link (Y)

cheers

eeek!

nevermind, i will stick the kmc i think, unless khe bring out a better quick link :P

cheers

Yea its a shame to be fair, the chains burly t'fook but chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and thats one weak ass link there :( The KMC Kool splits last 3-4 months which isn't bad, when they go they dont half go though! *rubs knee*

I've had both the KMC and KHI collapse and comparing them both i would go for the KHE, just on how thick and durable it looks. I have had lots of KMC's and i have snapped about 3 and i got fed up so i brought a KHE one. I've had the KHE one now for just over a month and i have had no trouble what so ever. Holding both of them in your hand you can really see actually how small the KMC chain looks when by a KHE chain.

So if u want to be even more safer on your bike upgrade and get a KHE collapse.

Thanks,

Tom

It doesn't, I tried, the Collapse is wider :(

Shame really as I need split links for ease of removal and I dont have a chain tool that fits the KMC or KHE chains, The Collapse split link snapped after about 5-10 casually small rides, wasn't happy, I've now had to put a proper link on by banging a brick against the chain which it was against my chainstay to get the pin through.... not ideal  :(

Did mine up all nice 'n' tidy with a Cyclo chain tool, the £8 one I think... But yeah, worked out fine for me. Works pretty good :P

I *think* either http://www.pijin.co.uk or http://www.tartybikes.co.uk will be the cheapest. I know Pijin defo match any other price out there, and I think it's £15.99 from them with free P&P on all orders, so they might be prime :)

EDIT: Shit the bed, £14.99 from Pijin, w/free P&P

EDIT #2: Forgot to say. It's scientifically proven that if you don't buy it in the silver/black combo you have a *tiny* penis :P

EDIT #2:  Forgot to say.  It's scientifically proven that if you don't buy it in the silver/black combo you have a *tiny* penis :(

I can vouch for that, my penis is larger than anyone elses now. ( fact is i couldnt decided between the 2 colours.. so went for both... my penis is large though )

To all that quick link posts back there: Why can't you just conect it up normaly?  :(

Generally, a well made quick-link will leave a stronger chain than a joined up one. The pins never go back into it properly, and always leave the chain weaker to some extent.

As well as that, it's just convenient :P