New Echo Cranks, A Thought?..........

ben_travis

hey guys, i decided to have a look through the adament trials website, and noticed on one of the pictures on the bike that the new echo cranks are using out-board bearings.

Now for some you may wonder what the hell im talking about, but basically the cup on the outside of the frame houses larger bearings, which makes the axle size larger, and generally stronger, but also allowing the bearings to retain a larger size and stronger strength.

This idea was brought to light by shimano, who came up with the idea for their hollowtech bottombrackets, which are used in highend cross country bikes and all mountain bikes, where an outboard bearing cup isnt going to take much abuse.

So here is my debate.....

Does the forum believe the new echo cranks to be useful for trials, or will it lead to a disaster, with possible damage to the bearing cup and/or threads in the bottom bracket shell if the user lands on the shell on a rock or wall?

DISCUSS

p.s here is a picture for u guys to see....please dont discuss the colourful parts, no-one cares now

ADAMANT-A1-07.jpg

Edited by ben@hulltrials

I think it's a good idea, although I've never broken a bottom bracket before. As longs as it isn't super heavy then it's worth a try.

How many bike companies does Deng want?? These computer graphics are so good - tyres with the spiky mould bits, a chain with a stiff link and check the detail on the Magura caliper, graphics and all. And those welds... or is that an actual real-life photo??

Its a good idea for the isis bb's, so that maybe their bearings will last longer. But we do all know how much abuse that area takes from walls and what not. I dont think it will damage the frame threads, and I think they could probally take quite a few knocks. Obviously we will only know when someone is riding it hard but I think if you wanted isis cranks that looks like a good improvement :sleeping:

I think it's a good idea, although I've never broken a bottom bracket before. As longs as it isn't super heavy then it's worth a try.

How many bike companies does Deng want?? These computer graphics are so good - tyres with the spiky mould bits, a chain with a stiff link and check the detail on the Magura caliper, graphics and all. And those welds... or is that an actual real-life photo??

was that a bit of sarcasm snappel, or are u just asking?

if just asking, then its a proper photo

www.adamentbike.com :sleeping:

Shimano weren't the first to do outboard bearings, no matter what MBUK might say :sleeping:

Anyhoo, I reckon they're a shite idea just 'cos you can't use FFW with them, and...er...I do use FFW...

i dont read MBUK mark, i work in alpinebikes and im pretty sure shimano were first, although if im wrong im wrong, but they were certainly one of the first to try the outboard bearing design.

Ben,

It wasn't sarcasm - I keep getting confused as to what are 3D renders and what are actual photos!! I'm in no way criticising Deng's products either way - the sheer volume of trials specific parts available today is amazing. Imagine seeing all this 5 years ago!!

thats cool, i couldnt tell whether it was internet sarcasm, (the kind you cant tell) so i thought i would just ask. yer its pretty amazing what people do with 3d render etc, anyway back to the topic

cheers

ben

Its a good idea, but its just something else to hit.

And as Mark said, it doesnt look too FFW user friendly. But that doesnt matter now, due to echo bringing out their cassette hub, and the Profile has always been the Number 1 choice :)

Plus when you do catch it, the tool that tightens it(works on the outside of it right?) will never work properly again.

i'm not too sure about this, on one hand yes they're developing their products to try and prolong the life of an isis bb as most ones on the market don't last long especially with the added stress that trials riding puts on it, so maybe for something less extreme like xc riding this bb would be grat for people who don't want to go along the lines of the new raceface and shimano systems

but for a trials bike they're just giving you something else to bash off walls/rocks etc and because of the length of the bearing cup it could be used as leverage to ovalise you bb shell if hit hard enough and also with the bearings seated much further apart than normal would it not put extra stress on the centre of the axle which could possibly cause snappage