Would You Sacrifice Weight For Durability

Zoo_Monkey

OK we arnt all sponsored and most of us work rubbish jobs to scrape together cash to fund our new frame because the one you got last season has an annoying crack on the seat-stay......etc

so would you sacrifice weight for reliability? just like in the DJ scene where the trend is chromoly bikes that weigh more than similar geometry/build alu bikes but are indestructible (or maybe just stronger)

same question with cranks. would you run a bmx BB and crankset if you could get a frame to fit one?

etc....

NB: I'm not talking about competition or performance riding, I'm talking about a bike that you use everyday that you could kick the he11 out of and not worry, something that could potentially last several years, like the sidekick of trials frames (but with dedicated geometry)

I would/have sacrificed some weight for duriabilty - i would never run bmx bb anyway though, even bmxers ain't anymore! (they are running euro/mtb or spanish bb's)

The key is finding components that you can run and get away with. I am 10st and can get away with running components that would maybe die a lot quciker than if i was 15st

mike

well, I ride comps and have my bike setup that way. You would think it would be setup super light, but it isnt.

First, wide rims are heavier, I have a mavic 321 on the front as its nice and wide, I also have a maxxis slow reezay tyre on the front for more grip, but this tyre is heavier than what a lot of treet riders run.

Then theres all the gears, mech, cable, shifer, it all adds up.

If I didnt do comps I could make my bike a lot lighter, well, actually, I am anyway.

Ti bolts, tubless, drilled front rim, lighter front tyre, so hopfully I can have a light bike again, but it wont be as strong, but its not really the riding that would break things like bolts, just over tightening.

so the answer is I m sacrificing reliability for weight, but my current bike is the opposite.

To be fair manafactures are trying to find a compromise between the two, ideely you'd have weight and durability but finding a better alloy with a stronger metal with a light metal and try to find a ligher stronger metal! But i dont think weight is too important i need stuff to last of least a year absolute minimum!!! if not its a piece of cheese!

Depends what it is.

I'd gladly sacrifice some weight if i gained some strength in parts like forks, rear rim etc., but i don't think theres any part of my bike that is lighter but weaker than a standard part.

So i wouldn't sacrifice durability for weight.

Unless it was something retarded like titanium bolts.