Another Avid Disc Question

PaRtZ

Ive just got a 203 front, Put it on and I've set the pads up so that both sides are just 1 click away from rubbing on the disc. I pull the brake and its really crap. I mean it slows me down to a stop and holds, but i was after "giving me whiplash" sort of power if you understand me

Have I done something wrong? I didn't touch the disc at all (Y)

Thanks

Ive just got a 203 front, Put it on and I've set the pads up so that both sides are just 1 click away from rubbing on the disc. I pull the brake and its really crap. I mean it slows me down to a stop and holds, but i was after "giving me whiplash" sort of power if you understand me

Have I done something wrong? I didn't touch the disc at all (Y)

Thanks

You wanna get the right pad (the one that doesunt move) touching the rotor or a close as possibul .

have you set thie disc up in terms of pads hitting square? if not loosen the bolts that go onto the caliper, 2 of them with round washers underneath, and click the pads in until they wont click anymore, then tighten these bolts up. then loosen the pads until your satisfied.

If youve done thie and still not happy, pore cold water on it, and bomb it down a hill, dragging the brake.

Or just ride with it, and it will become whiplash material

have you set thie disc up in terms of pads hitting square? if not loosen the bolts that go onto the caliper, 2 of them with round washers underneath, and click the pads in until they wont click anymore, then tighten these bolts up. then loosen the pads until your satisfied.

Sounds like it (Y) Thanks! Im a n00b when it comes to discs :D

Its nothing to worry about, when I first got mine I set it up according to the manual (1/3 to 2/3 pad ratio) and it was still really crap, it couldnt even hold my weight when I did an endo. However, I chucked some cold water over it and rode really fast then pulled the brake hard and it locked amazingly from then on. (Y)

Sounds like it (Y) Thanks! Im a n00b when it comes to discs :D

No problem, there should be 2 5mm headed bolts on the back of the caliper (facing the bb, with a vee brake pad style washer fitting underneath) one on the top of the black fork mount, and one on the bottom

Edited by Tom Booth

I have yet to have a disk that worked well straight out of the box, they all need bedding in.

I have (Y) :D

Got a louise disk, (the older style one with the lumo lever) put it on, thought it would be crap cause it was new, went along, pulled it had and flew over bars hahahaha

203mm is a lot of stress on the fork. Make sure that the bolts are tight with regularity. I didn't, and I lost my fork! hahaha.

Haha, That's well bad! ^_^ I might go tighten mine now... lol.

Yeah. I found that just with standard Avid pads, if you find a bigggggg hill, go down with the brake on and wack loadsa water on at the bottom, on the rotor and in the caliper. (You can never use too much)

I'd use like 1.25L of a 2L bottle.

Then go around going short, sharp endo's and locking your brake up, and put water on every like 2 or 3 minutes. Leave it for a bit, use normally and it shall be shit hot.

If it ever gets a bit dull or you want it better, put water on. It's weird like that (Y)

Hope I helped..... It works ace for me :D

Haha, That's well bad! :P I might go tighten mine now... lol.

Yeah. I found that just with standard Avid pads, if you find a bigggggg hill, go down with the brake on and wack loadsa water on at the bottom, on the rotor and in the caliper. (You can never use too much)

I'd use like 1.25L of a 2L bottle.

Then go around going short, sharp endo's and locking your brake up, and put water on every like 2 or 3 minutes. Leave it for a bit, use normally and it shall be shit hot.

If it ever gets a bit dull or you want it better, put water on. It's weird like that :)

Hope I helped..... It works ace for me (Y)

i did the same, put a bita water on the disc, then ride about doin endos, then put more water on and wash off the black residue, then add more water and do endos, then repeat

10 mins of a job and your brake will be outstanding(203 is a bit too good btw for trials forks)

Mine is like that and never really got much more powerful, it does the job, holds me and has good modulation, but it has never been anywhere near as powerful as any other avids i have tried. :)

can someone explain to me why putting water on it at the bottom of a hill when it is really hot helps??? just interested.

has it got something to do with bedding the rotor in, or does it just wash off the pad dust or what?

putting water on the brake at the bottom of a hill does nothing. however, if you put water on it at the bottom of a hill then drag the brake around, it works a treat :) (its to do with transferring pad material from the brake pad onto the rotor).

hows the brake now matt?

ta

Will