Improving Performance In My Disc

nafan

I have a hope c2 160mm and it really doesn't work, well it does but doing hoo haa's, or anything involving landing on the front wheel, its just crap...

Can anyone give me some advice in improving it... Pad recommendations etc...

Cheers lads (Y) :(

clean the existing rotor with washing up liquid and a brillo pad, make sure the old pads are in good conditon and are clean and make sure the calliper is alighned

otherwise: ebc reds, or a conversion kit so you can run a 180mm rotor-so either a adaptor plate or a new calliper half+a new rotor

Street trials rider has been reading MBUK ! And yes this method does work ive been doing it for a while with disc brakes ! (Y) But there is a bit more too it ! You have to ride it a bit then throughly clean the rotor and caliper after with preferably disc brake cleaner or if not then fairy liquid will work quite good. best way to clean inside a caliper is with a toothbrush and compressed air ! :( So use a compresser at your local garage if that option isnt available then pump up a spare tube to max :o and use a screwdriver and direct it at the caliper, Job done !

Josh..

Why to boil them? In boiling water you can't get higher temp then 100C, and I'm not sure if that's enough.

Bake them in the over at 200C for about 20 minutes and then bed them in again. That's what I did with my louise pads and it worked really good. (OR do like I did and get an Avid (Y) )

cleaning the disc and then putting on some decent pads such as ebc reds, or even greens seem to bite well with longer life

but since the brake is obviously a good couple of years old now its probably worth rebuilding it

caliper and lever rebuild kits are available from hope and include new seals plunger and spring etc for the lever and for the caliper it will include new seals etc, once the pistons are out and the brakes apart you'd be suprised at how pitted and dirty the pistons get which will obviously affect the performance of the brake

once everything is fitted and the brake is bled through properly the brake should feel good as new and give you a fair bit more power

Put the rotor in the dishwasher (another hope recomended tip), get some new pads (ebc red/green), clean caliper, and re bed-in using mud- will be much better. doing the same but replacing the disk with 180mm + adapter /caliper half would be even better.

Street trials rider has been reading MBUK!

they covered that in MBUK <_< ??? i aint bought that mag for ages... i found out they worked better after a nice coating of mud about 2 years ago when i ridden through a nice big sloppy puddle (didnt realise how deep it actually was (N) ) and my brake worked excellently after that

The tip i picked up from MBUK, that seems to work great, is to ride around with the brake on as hard as you can, so it gets really hot, then, with the brake still on as solidly as you can JUST ABOUT manage to force the pedalstrokes though, pedal to your garden hose and spray your red hot disk, so it hisses a lot etc.

It seems to instalty make a trialsy grabby front disk from my experience, and if you want even more grab and power, do the process again!

The tip i picked up from MBUK, that seems to work great, is to ride around with the brake on as hard as you can, so it gets really hot, then, with the brake still on as solidly as you can JUST ABOUT manage to force the pedalstrokes though, pedal to your garden hose and spray your red hot disk, so it hisses a lot etc.

It seems to instalty make a trialsy grabby front disk from my experience, and if you want even more grab and power, do the process again!

NOOOOOOOO! bad bad bad

using water to bed in disks is good, but put the water on when the disks are cold- not hot!

putting water on a very hot disk may cause it to warp or crack.