Tar On Rims?

ogre

About half tar, and half shiney rim. I find works best. - The spinnnig the wheel whilst applying technique does work well!

If theres too much tar, the brake will stick tooo well!

Sometimes i just put it on one side of the rim only.

Experiment with it on a ride, start with a little and work your way up, remebering that it will always wear off eventually.....

andy :)

Roofing tar is slightly diffrent compound than the road tar, so with the roofing tar, you only need a VERY small amount, so small that you cant even see the tar, just so that you know its there. if you have it so you can see the tar, its just defeeting the object and just becomes a shitty mess!

to apply tar to my wheels i spin the back wheel very fast and rub the tar on that way and thats about 2 3 days of non slip brake, but when i used a maggy on the front i did a line of tar every 4cm or so and that worked fine

the only problem is if its hot weather and you spin you rear wheel and apply tar your pads will smudge the tar all round the wheel and instead of it gripping it dosent so you only want a bit of tar if its a very hot day

hope this helps ric

i do it either of these 2 ways:

firstly; get your tar a draw lines from the tyre across the side wall, do this with a 3-4 inch gap all around the rim, both sides. flip the bike upright cycle round with the brakes half on so the pads are rubbing, this wears the tar in.

secondly; flip the bike onto the bars, spin the cranks round so the wheel is spinning farely fast put the tar to the rim semi-gently. Do this both sides and then wear the tar in as above.

either of these methods should work.

I always put it on in little vertical lines. About half and inch a part, then drag your brake on for a few meters.

Putting on tar the 'spin your wheel way' i don't think is very good, you only cover the part that the tar is against. You could miss the top and bottom. If you do it like i said above, it gets spread more evenly, more consistantly, and very thinly. Which is what you want.

If you put too much tar on not only do your blocks tend to stick on it, but sometimes the tar acts as a layer between the pads and the rim. And it rolls ontop of it.

When you have tar on your rims, you shouldn't really be able to see it, it should just look liek your have a slightly mucky brown rim.

All that combined with the right pads and you have a very powerful brake.

I'm sure how much tar you have on you rims(if at all) is a personal choice but how should your rim look wit hit on? when i do it it's kinda blotchy and thick in places etc could anyone put a picture up?

not too much is good cos you dont want your brakes sticking...........steve :P