Xbox 360

Smo™

Hey guys,

I just received my Xbox 360 and would like to connect it to my PC. Through the console it asks for 'Windows Media Connect' to be installed on my PC and gives a link on the Xbox website. However, probably due to the fact my Xbox is a pre-release edition the website doesn't have the software on it yet.

I thought about looking for the software from somewhere else, but the only countries that may have it would be somewhere like the US/Japan etc. and I'm a bit concerned about the software matching as I have a UK console.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

get on the windows update site, i got loads of windows media connect stuff im sure after i updated

Cheers, just found Windows Media Connect 2. Downloading now <_<

ALREADY!!! I thought it is out at 2nd dec?!?!

We're family friends with the owner of Codemasters. He came down today and had a pre-release edition (as you can imagine he gets loads of new stuff - he has a PS3 already but has to keep it to himself).

Edit: The Xbox can't find an IP address. It also doesn't show up in the Media Connect client on my PC. Not sure what to do. The Xbox is connected to my PC through an Ethernet cable if that helps.

Edited by Smo

I'm rather jealous.

I would suggest that as you have it so much earlier than normal people. You might have to wait to get the correct software. Microsoft arn't likely to be releasing it in their updates for a few more weeks I wouldn't have thought.

Incidently, whats it like?

Dan

Ironically, that's exactly what he said when he came up to my room a few minutes ago and watched me mess about with network settings on my PC and the like. Turns out not even he's getting the online software until next week so I won't get it until he does.

As for what it's like, it's awesome. As you can imagine it's completely naked when you get it, apart from a football trailer, a few music tracks from bands like Head Automatica and Funeral for a Friend and a little game you'd expect to find on a flash site called Hexic. All of that's stored on your HDD so you can delete it if you want. A few minutes ago I was playing my MP3's through a USB connection and the console had the Windows Media Player visualisations so I sat watching them in full screen for a while. I've yet to fully appreciate what it does graphically as all I've seen is its introduction video which is the trademark green 'X' etched into a chrome ball at the start. You zoom out from seeing a corner of the 'X' close up.

There's not much else I can say, there's too many features for you to look at. However, it is fun to play with it using the remote control <_<

Is it water cooled? or was that one of those internet rumour things

Incidently, when it comes out, get NFS Most Wanted, I have it on the PC and it is brilliant, although it is very similiar to NFS underground 2 except it's set during the day. The story mode is much better too, haven't tried it online yet - but that was the best feature of NFSU2

Edited by sfboy

ahh, nice1 tomm... not watercooled... bloody big heatsink though!

although.. from http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360...x360theguts.htm

The water cooled term is being used loosely; actually it is a heat sink constructed of a copper base, aluminum stamped fins and copper heat pipe. The heat pipe contains water and a vacuum is pulled on the pipe prior to sealing.

Water under a vacuum boils at a lower temperature than at atmospheric pressure, so when the water boils and becomes steam, the steam rises and moves the heat higher into the fins where the air flow from the fans can extract the heat more efficiently. Once the steam is cooled it condenses and flows back down the pipe as water to the copper base of the heat sink, which is attached to the processor to continue the condensing and cooling processes cycle.

Heatpipes aren't watercooling. Well not really anyway, they don't count :angry:

Are you able to play original Xbox games on the 360? Or only 360 games. Am liking it aswell as new Nintendo Rev mmmmm.

Some of them will work, but apparently they all need patching. So when you put an original xbox game in the drive, it looks for the patch and if necessary downloads it from the internet. At the moment there are about 200 original xbox games that will work on the 360, but they are working on more.

Is it water cooled? or was that one of those internet rumour things

Incidently, when it comes out, get NFS Most Wanted, I have it on the PC and it is brilliant, although it is very similiar to NFS underground 2 except it's set during the day. The story mode is much better too, haven't tried it online yet - but that was the best feature of NFSU2

I'll most definately be buying NFS:MW, I have it for the PC too and it's awesome, much much better than NFS:U2. I can't wait to play MW online with the Xbox too, that'll be sweet, choosing street racer or police car :P

do you have any games for your 360 yet???

I won't have until at least Thursday unfortunately, that's when I'll get some 'blank' copies (not sure why they were referred to as that). I'll be able to get my hands on the release titles like Call of Duty 2, NFS:MW etc. but no others unless I order them from the states (which I don't particularly want to do).

• 2 weeks later...

So did you get this thing setup?

I've got Windows Home with this Windows Media Connect thing installed from the link provided on the 360:

The thing seems to be setup all fine and dandy and its marked Allowed, but I cant seem to find my PC through my 360 any ideas?

Cheers Olly

So did you get this thing setup?

I've got Windows Home with this Windows Media Connect thing installed from the link provided on the 360:

The thing seems to be setup all fine and dandy and its marked Allowed, but I cant seem to find my PC through my 360 any ideas?

Cheers Olly

Try downloading the software from xbox.com/pcsetup - it sorted out mine and now my 360 is fully interactive with my PC, including Xbox Live.