Something Up In My Drivetrain!

_tom_

When doing my daily laps round the village today, I noticed that I can feel a click/clunk every pedalstroke, coming from the drivetrain area I'm guessing. It doesnt make a noise but I can definately feel it. I have tightened all the bolts etc but it still does it (Y) What the hell is going on? Its really annoying! The BB is only around 2 weeks old so it cant be that surely!

Cheers

Yeah I think its on one side, I guess I need to pinpoint which one really. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow. At first, I thought it was just my pedals. I changed to my old eastern bmx pedals (I was originally using DMR V8's) and it stopped for a while. I thought it was just the pedals but now its come back after about a week... cheap crap pedals maybe? Who knows...

May sound stupid, but have you checked that your cranks are on tightly??

because if you are running a square taper and the cranks are loose it can completely strip the inside of your crank arms, usually starts of with a small skip or slip from the crank and gradually gets worse ;)

just make sure your cranks on on tightly (Y)

May sound stupid, but have you checked that your cranks are on tightly??

because if you are running a square taper and the cranks are loose it can completely strip the inside of your crank arms, usually starts of with a small skip or slip from the crank and gradually gets worse ;)

just make sure your cranks on on tightly (Y)

Yeah the end bolts are tight. They are 48 spline, not mtb cranks. FSA smack daddies..

How do I get inside pedals to grease em? Theres one nut that undoes but then theres another that I cant seem to get off :)

Yeah the end bolts are tight. They are 48 spline, not mtb cranks. FSA smack daddies..

How do I get inside pedals to grease em? Theres one nut that undoes but then theres another that I cant seem to get off ;)

There's generally a little spacer just inside the outer lockring that you've gotta get out first. A tiny little allen key or tiny screwdriver can usually help you. After that, the other nut should come off pretty easily.

If you can, take your cranks off and then just spin your BB spindle by hand and just feel if it's spinning super freely or if it's binding at all. Usually, it's just BB-age that's causing this sort of problem.

EDIT: Is your chainring tight? Also, is it a new chain or anything? If you can, take the chain off quickly and spin the cranks and see if it still feels like shit. If it doesn't, it could be that the teeth on the chainring are binding with the chain. If the teeth or the chain itself are a little battered, it could easily make it crunch and grind. My BMX is doing it a little after some rough bollard/chain interaction (Y)

What pedals are they? Most pedals have a plastic cap at the end which can be pryed off with a flat head screw driver.

Once you have this of there will be a 12mm nut inside the pedal.

Get a socket spanner and undo this, pour a load of grease in and tighten up the nut agian.

Put the cap back on and spin the pedals round a bit. It should sort it (Y)

Or you could be having the same problem that me and murph are having, the pedals slightly wobble around in the cranks (you can't even feel it really but they undo themselves, when i was riding last weekend i thought my BB had gone but both my pedals were loose and almost falling off), he sorted it out with come thread tape which makes the threads slightly bigger.

EDIT: They are DMR V8 pedals that we have got.

Edited by tom_wilko

Or you could be having the same problem that me and murph are having, the pedals slightly wobble around in the cranks (you can't even feel it really but they undo themselves, when i was riding last weekend i thought my BB had gone but both my pedals were loose and almost falling off), he sorted it out with come thread tape which makes the threads slightly bigger.

thats exactly why i was asking if it only came from one side. loose pedals cause creaking and weird feelings. if left loose for a while, loose pedals will strip the threads of the crank. I learned the hard way.

tighten up those pedals!!

loc-tite and thread tape are both good.

Hmm OK im pretty sure my pedals are in tight, but I'll check anyway. I dont have any PTFE tape, will electrical tape do or do I need that proper threadlocking tape? I'll have a go at taking my pedals apart then, getting that washer out is a bitch if I remember right. I have V8's aswell, which were originally causing this problem. Switched to my Eastern bmx ones which worked for a bit but now its came back. It doesnt happen all the time, just intermittently (if thats a word), is thius a good sign that its most likely to be the pedals? Oh and its on the left side.

Hmm OK im pretty sure my pedals are in tight, but I'll check anyway. I dont have any PTFE tape, will electrical tape do or do I need that proper threadlocking tape? I'll have a go at taking my pedals apart then, getting that washer out is a bitch if I remember right. I have V8's aswell, which were originally causing this problem. Switched to my Eastern bmx ones which worked for a bit but now its came back. It doesnt happen all the time, just intermittently (if thats a word), is thius a good sign that its most likely to be the pedals? Oh and its on the left side.

You will need thread tape, Electrical tape is too thick and will just tear when you do up the pedals.

You should just spend a bit of time looking over you drivetrian, having a look at everything people have said above.