Knurling

tom tom

Its usually done on circular components with a lathe and a knurl tool knurl1.jpg

Those two arms can be put closer together and its the round bits at the end which make the knurl, they have to made made of a stronger material than the components itself, of the component will flatten the knurl tool!

Edited by jake1516

a knurl is what you put on a smooth round surface to give a bit of grip, check out the little rod below the tool itself in the above picture, the right hand side is knurled, while the left is untouched.

pegs_bmx.jpg

They are knurled....

Edited by jake1516

Are you tinking of knurling your rim??

because that could be very hard to do unless you have one huge ase chuck on a lathe that you could fit your rim into (Y)

yeah...

you definitely couldnt do it the normal way. even if you did have a huge chuck it wouldnt work.

im pretty sure that knurling would take too much material off of the rim, making it very weak and probably unusable.

It would work because it helps to increase the friction between the pads and the rims but its definately not easier than grinding. That rim does actually look like a knurl in that the 'grind' is patterned leaving lots of small squares, id be very interested to know what sort of grinder/grinding disk was used to achieve that finish....

(Y)-->

QUOTE(the big B @ Nov 24 2005, 12:47 AM)

i read about it, and apparently thats not actually knurled. its just a really deep grind.

i just trawled through that forum, god so much crap its unreal....

Anyway, it was created in a CNC mill with a custom tool, 'anotherash' is the username of the person who did it.

:P-->

QUOTE(the big B @ Nov 24 2005, 12:47 AM)

its just a really deep grind.

Good luck doing that to your rim with a f**king grinder :P

Anywho, basically the tool shown up there has 2 super hard rollers on it.

These rollers have tiny knobbles in them.

You put the object you want knurling between the 2 rollers, and use the vice action to put them together onto your object.

So you've got 2 pointy rollers of a very hard material tight against your softer object (i.e a rim). You then turn the object/rim in the rollers so they make little indentations onto the surface.

You keep applying pressure to the vice part to push the indentations deeper into your rim.

And you basically roll the whole rim through the rollers until the whole rim is done.

The indentations on the rollers push in the material of the soft rim, leaving a series of tiny mounds and depressions.

Any D+T department worth their salt will have one.

:P-->

QUOTE(the big B @ Nov 24 2005, 06:28 PM)

i guess you guys all think you "pwned" me, but that isnt a knurl. that is a grind. nice try though.

Hahaha!

Have you read the f**king thread?!

Read the OTN thread for more than one page.

It's CNC machined, there's even a section on how to do it for douchebags like you.

EDIT:

1) they must accurately clock and center the rim per side - to ensure it comes out even,

2) they need a HSS (High Speed Steel) cutter ground to a point 25-40 degree included angle on fly or single-bar cutter.

3) for a dx32, they should aim for 0.35mm depth of cut, + or - 0.05mm, under no circumstances should they exceed 2/5 of the thinnest part of the wall thickness.

4) cutter dia = 350mm

5) cutter PCD = 420mm

6) cutter V = 50-60 m/min @ 70mm/min (70mm/min is the feed rate, using 70mm/min @ 54.9m/min, the speed, will give you thesame groove spacing I have).

Edited by N.Wood