What Lever ?

joshywa

right heres my dilema:

i have an avid BB7 with speed dial 7 lever and the NEW xtr cables

in have set it up in every different pad position under the sun but still it flex's way too much for my likeing so my question is what lever do you use and how much flex does it have ???

also if any one has any tips on solveing the flex problem then that would help loads

dump the xtr cable and get a proper one

linear slicks or nokons are perfect :closedeyes:

also make sure you are running cable ties to hold the cable to the forks, and run the cable as short and as direct to the brake as you can (within reason)

sd7 levers are pretty darn good, if you insist on a new lever i would recomend xtr or avid ultimate-both stupidly good (N)

"Make sure you've got the speed dial adjustment as far away from the bar as possible, and do as much setting up on the caliper itself, instead of the lever.

Realign the caliper, as this can give a crap lever feel if its not straight. "

done this all reday it helped but it still flex's way too much

is an avid full metal jacket worth getting, the description states it can increase the power ??? :P

Edited by joshywa

what about the wethepeople straight vector ? any experiences with that ? and do you think its worth it to pay so much for the nokon ?

no idea, if they were good im sure there would be far more fuss about them from my bmx friends...

nokon however-i had 1 upfront on my bb7 with ultimate lever, and it was ace, but its only marginally better than the linear slick....i would still pay the extra if i didnt have other things to buy

do you mean odyssey linear slicks ???

yip

just bought some odyssey linear slicks £6.99 from alans cycles .... hope they're good but at that price you cant realy go wrong can you :ermm:

good man you wont regret it

right just fitted them (it took a hack saw to cut through the outer housing!!!) and straight away you can tell a difference in the flex (Y) there's still a little bit of flex but its alot better...

has any one got any suggestions on how else i could reduce the flex i've re-aligned the pads so what else can i do and what idea's do you have e.g. pad positions ???

thanks for all the help so far (especially paul) :-

if you pads are positioned correctly(right hand as close as possible) then undo the tri-align bolts, pull the lever and then whilst holding the lever do up the tri-align bolts

this gets the brake lined up (Y) well it worked perfectly for me

also zip tie the cable to you forks-stops the housing moving causing more sponge/flex

did you oil the cabel before setting it up? if not-go back and do it-it makes it feel sooo much better

dont bother with the barell adjuster on you lever, use the red dial on the left side of the brake, i remember the older cable brakes used to be affected by the cam angle-but im not sure if thats the same for the newer avids

try that

Couldn't help but notice they are new cables.

I find that new cables are always flaxy, give them a chance to strech out a bit. :S

I have the same setup as you and mine feels ok.

Edited by JT!

sorry to steal your thread. But right now my moving pad is touching the rotor slightly and my barrel adjuster on the lever is turned out a fair way. I have to do this to have a nice feel at the lever. If I turn the barrel adjuster on the lever all the way in and set the moving pad to not touch the rotor, the lever has to be pulled a long way in before the brake engages. The stationary pad is already as close as it can get to the rotor without touching and the cable is pulled through as much as it can. It still works fine really, awsome power but a couple of people said your not supposed to use the barrel adjuster on the lever, so i'm just wondering if I've done anything wrong. Could it be the pads ? because i bought this second hand.

Guest 2plus1Clothing

I used to run a Shimano Deore lever on which was okay I guess, but it was a bit big and bulky. Not much smooth action :huh:

I've got some random Avid one on at the moment, and I really like it. One of the best ones it've ever used actually.

I'd definately look into one of the best Avid's, or a Shimano XTR would be ace.

;)

Nick