Laser Eye Surgery

CurtisRider

righty, ive worn glasses pretty much since i started high skool due to being short sighted but its never really bothered me til recently. i've tried contact lenses but i just cant physically bring myself to touch my eyes, its makes me sick :( dunno why, just does....so im pretty much stuck with glasses. as i want to go travelling in the not too distant future i would rather not have to wear ghlasses all the time, as well as just making life that little bit better for myself-im sure all of you who have glasses wish you didnt have to have the hassle

i have read about/seen adverts for laser eye surgery (a while back i admit, and i havent really looked into it further...yet), where they burn some of the muscle away to allow the eyes lens to contract and expand better, allowing the eyes to actually provide proper vison at all distances-i think thats how it works anyway

what i want to know is, has anybody here had it done? or anybody they know? what were your/their experiences? what is the cost? (last time i looked it was 500 per eye which seemed insanely cheap for such an operation) and what is the sucess rate? i.e. does it fix you properly, or will i still need glases for certain things, like driving and stuff?

before anybody mentions it-i am going to get proffesional opinions and stuff, and im not basing my decision on what a selection trials riders think-its more of a way of gettin opinions from actual people rather than an optician/doctor who hasn't had it done to themselves

anyway, any useful help or opinions are appreciated :)

cheers, paul

It only works if you are short-sighted, so if you are long-sighted then you can forget it. Basically what (I think) they do is take some of the material off the front of your eye (your cornea) with a laser. They just skim a few layers of cells off so it's not quite so thick. When you are short-sighted, your cornea is refracting (bending) the light too much. So when you have the laser surgery the cornea doesn't refract light as much, and you can see again. Magic.

I guess they wouldn't attempt it if your eyes were still changing (getting worse), but they would tell you all about that.

I want it done, I think. It'd be really nice not to have to put glasses on in the morning, but it would also mean that I could go swimming and stuff without having to worry about losing contacts. And when you think about the amount you spend on glasses in a lifetime, it seems pretty cheap too.

My mate and his dad have both had it done, lasts about 25 years apparently. You dont need to wear glasses for anything like driving afterwards.

They laser off a slice of the front of your eye and then they get a pair of tweezers and peel it off.

Both blinding successes.

EDIT: you prescription cant have changed for a year or so either, the longer the better for obvious reasons.

My dad and aunt had it done and they both think its the best thing they have ever done (Y)

both eyes? and how much did it cost them?

It only works if you are short-sighted, so if you are long-sighted then you can forget it. Basically what (I think) they do is take some of the material off the front of your eye (your cornea) with a laser. They just skim a few layers of cells off so it's not quite so thick. When you are short-sighted, your cornea is refracting (bending) the light too much. So when you have the laser surgery the cornea doesn't refract light as much, and you can see again. Magic.

I guess they wouldn't attempt it if your eyes were still changing (getting worse), but they would tell you all about that.

I want it done, I think. It'd be really nice not to have to put glasses on in the morning, but it would also mean that I could go swimming and stuff without having to worry about losing contacts. And when you think about the amount you spend on glasses in a lifetime, it seems pretty cheap too.

im short sighted as i mentioned at the start of the topic. cheers for explaining the procedure, i knew it was something like that just not in detail. my eyes havent changed much in 2 years, apparently they will get worse though-what a lovely thing to tell a kid at the age of 14....anyway yeah it seems stupid cheap for what it is, not just the savings for contacts/glasses, but also the little things.....like not havin them fall off all the time, getting more women, constant cleaning, all that shit

My mate and his dad have both had it done, lasts about 25 years apparently. You dont need to wear glasses for anything like driving afterwards.

They laser off a slice of the front of your eye and then they get a pair of tweezers and peel it off.

Both blinding successes.

EDIT: you prescription cant have changed for a year or so either, the longer the better for obvious reasons.

apparently you cant do night driving for some reason? bit confused about that

25 years is a longer time than i expected, and so if i like to 100, thats only like 3 grand if the prices stay the same for my lifetime..

my mum had it done, and they did one eye perfect but cocked the other up, she can hardly make out her own feet, so now they are going to retry to do it

gaz...

sory to hear that, so there is a chance they can still give you some sort of sight back if all things go wrong? or are most people stuck for the rest of their lives/til new technology comes along?

best use of that phrase EVER

oh charel...

i'd say try contacts more, touching one's eyes DOES feel akward as hell at first, but after a while.. i changed to contacts in june, a decision i have not regretted once. It is soooo much more convenient than glasses..

and Tomm, about losing contacts, it's VERY hard to. I have not lost one of mine yet, and i've been swimming, showering, riding, partying, etc in them, no problems. I can rub my eyes until i go blind but not lose a contact, i have to concentrate to get them off my eyes.. it's different from person to person of course, but i can't see a soft lense falling out... maybe diving with open eyes, but who the hell does that anyway?!

cleaning contacts is a chore the first two-three weeks, but after that, it's not a problem. takes about 3 minutes a day to pop in and out and clean.. if you're feeling lazy, just leave them in fluid over night and clean them in the morning, so you can bring the little container for them in your pocket with fluid in, and just drop them down if you're at a party and don't feel like going home again.. you're fine as long as you don't make a it a bad habit, so only once a week or so.

i'd like laaaazzzzer surgery, but i don't want to break my eyes.

and Tomm, about losing contacts, it's VERY hard to. I have not lost one of mine yet, and i've been swimming, showering, riding, partying, etc in them, no problems. I can rub my eyes until i go blind but not lose a contact, i have to concentrate to get them off my eyes.. it's different from person to person of course, but i can't see a soft lense falling out... maybe diving with open eyes, but who the hell does that anyway?!

The first time I went swimming with them in, I lost both of them. And if I rub my eyes without remembering I have them in, they'll come out. It's annoying, but it's not a problem most the time. But not having to do anything would be schweet.

Keep and "eye" out for how its made on discovery they show you lazer eye surgery and its pretty sick lol.

this is how it goes from what I can remember.

They stick a speculum in your eye to hold it open then they clean it then mark your iris with ink, then they stick this metal thing on your eye, then a cutter runs along the metal thing thing to create a flap. the flap is pulled back and the lazer comes in. a computer program shapes your cornea with the lazer. the flap is flaped back and lined up. a few magic drops and your good to go... home and put shit in your eyes for a week or something. its pretty graphic and interesting to watch.

Like I said look out for it on discovery.

i was going to save up to get it for myself.... till i found out there's no chance for me :(

i have something called eyestigmas (no clue how to spell it).... but basically my eye's wobble, but i'm used to it so my vision doesnt wobble, but basically there is no way they can get my eye to stay still while they laser my eyes :( i'm stuck with glasses and bad sight for life, unless some mirricle cure comes arond :

Do you have to wear glasses or anything? And I thought it was some inner-ear problem (it's the same thing as when you're drunk and you can't see straight). Maybe there's some other forms of it. Either way, I'm sure they will be able to do something for you :)

Up until going to uni I was all for the laser eye surgery thing. Then one of my lecturers, who let's face it is a bit of a cock and completely up his own arse, but nevertheless a highly intelligent bloke, mentioned that he'd been involved in a lot of research into measuring the effect of laser surgery on the eye. Basically the point he made was that the eye does not have the capability to heal itself like a bone would do, and so the area in front of where the incision is made becomes starved of nutrients and stuff. It's a long time ago, and i wasn't really listening that well, but he has put me right off laser surgery. I'm pretty sure Fuse was in the same lecture, so if he would care to elaborate that's fine by me.

Andy

tommmmmmmmmmmmmm , if i remember right its you thats doing the medicine thing? anyhoo completely off topic, what are you aiming for in the end?

Yeah. Dunno what I'm aiming for really. Maybe neurology? I don't have to choose yet and at the moment I'm changing my mind every week or so :P

Do you have to wear glasses or anything? And I thought it was some inner-ear problem (it's the same thing as when you're drunk and you can't see straight). Maybe there's some other forms of it. Either way, I'm sure they will be able to do something for you :)

yeah i have to wear glasses, have been wearing them for about 8 years now.... and everytime i o for a eye check my sight is getting worse :(