Oil Coolor On A Pit Bike

Corish

Obviously, it cools the Oil, my actualy qestion is, what does it gain?

I know they give an engine a longer life so I've heard but I can't find out if they give a bit more performance??

Also correct my if I'm wrong but cooler oil means more dense oil, if you have more dense oil would it mean more compression and if you had more compression would it mean more power?

Corish

you mean after all you quality copy and paste wok on how you were the Don on engines, you dont know this.....

Well now.

Oil not only acts as a Lubricant, it acts as a coolant.

If your oil temperature is too high, the engine temperature will rise.

Now in most cars this is taken car of by the cooling system, but in tuned/faster cars the cooling system cant cope with all the extra strain on its own, so the oil needs to be cooled.

Also engine oil is designed to change viscosity at differning temperatures. Thats where you get the rating from.

15W40

this denotes the oils viscosity when freezing and when hot.

If oil is allowed to get to hot, ie compensating for the cooling systems poor performance, it will become airated, and will not be able to efficiently lubricate.

There for an oil cooler is used to control the temperature of the oil.

Now it doesnt need to be cooled alot, thats why oil coolers are small, just enough to keep it hot enough to flow well, and cool enough not to airate.....

its also worth point out, that the power producing capabilities of an engine are linked to its core temperature......

i dont know the science behind it, but i do know that on the A-series engine, maximum power is achieved if water temperature is kept around 60degrees, whereas maximum economy is achieved with a water temperature or around 90 degrees, because at 90 the a-series is at its greatest thermal efficiency! hence why later minis ran an 88degree stat, and earlier coopers and S's often had a 72 degree stat.....

also worth pointing out that an oil cooler should really be used with a thermostat as well.... as if its plumbed in permanently, it could stop the oil reaching its optimum operating temperature.... which wont do things any good either....

engines are funny things! i cant wait to get back from uni and have a play with mine :D