Jobs - What Is There For A 16 Year Old....

Urpedigreechumdog

Vesperal salutations to you all...

Thinking about a new job, currently at halfords, but will have to move on soon.

I was trying to think of jobs other than:

* Waiter / Pot washer

* Supermarket clown

* Working at anything along the lines of Argos / Halfords / currys etc

* Newsagents

It is part time only - weekends and some evenings, as i'm in sixth form.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edited by Urpedigreechumdog

I wouldn't lower myself to Stamford maccy d's, sorry to sound like a twat but it is full of chavs, asians and polish people who don't know what they are doing anyway. Our Maccy d's has to be the slowest in the area.

Also we only have one local bike shop, which is shit, and they don't need anybody, they can't afford to employ anyone else that the crazy ass, bald-headed, nut case who runs the place.

Thanks for the replies so far though.

I hate to point out the irony in your last post but unfortunately, as you have already stated - your current situation doesn't allow you the flexibility to seek employment at any other level than frankly shite jobs which are in the service industry. If you are un willing to 'lower' yourself to the level where you have to work with racial minorities and less intellectually blessed people, it may be worth considering the fact that many of these 'types' feel exactly the same about working in an environment where they are forced to endure the patronising, racist, egotistical students such as yourself who modestly consider themselves too good to work with them.

Get real, knuckle down, and accept the fact that as a 16 year old you cannot do much better than you already have. If you need more money, do some overtime and get off trials forum...

Take a reality check.

Ok to clear things up... I'm not an egotistical racist student, just a racist student.

I would not want to work at stamford McDonalds not just because it is full of chavs and foreigners, but because, as you say, they probably don't want to be there either, hence them putting little effort in. They more than likely want to go onto bigger and better things, but i don't want to work with people who are going to be hard to work with because they don't want to be there.

I do realise that being 16 with only gcse's i'm limited to jobs in the service industry, however, halfords is not a bad job, but i can't see myself being there for much longer for reasons i cannot disclose. A job like that would be nice, but i couldn't work in any supermarket because i see it as a boring job. Something like argos / currys wouldn't be so bad, but i was generally wondering if anyone knew of a similar job which i might not have though about.

Halfords is fine, just stick it in there. I've been here for 8 months and work with people who don't give a shit. You can't be too picky mate, start at the bottom work your way up. You really havn't got much choice other than retail or food. If your the solitary type buy a burger van god dammit.

Ok to clear things up... I'm not an egotistical racist student, just a racist student.

I would not want to work at stamford McDonalds not just because it is full of chavs and foreigners, but because, as you say, they probably don't want to be there either, hence them putting little effort in. They more than likely want to go onto bigger and better things, but i don't want to work with people who are going to be hard to work with because they don't want to be there.

I do realise that being 16 with only gcse's i'm limited to jobs in the service industry, however, halfords is not a bad job, but i can't see myself being there for much longer for reasons i cannot disclose. A job like that would be nice, but i couldn't work in any supermarket because i see it as a boring job. Something like argos / currys wouldn't be so bad, but i was generally wondering if anyone knew of a similar job which i might not have though about.

my mates brother works in morrisons part time and is on good hours and good pay.

16 mate. Insurance and health and safety is a nightmare for a 15yr old is hell.

Not many people in retail will take 15yr olds on. Any place that deals in sharp objects, solvents or anything that could cause harm to someone generally won't take you on.

I'm 15, and I have a part time job in Halfords.

Got it soon after work experiance.

We 'deal' sharp objects, solvents, anything that could harm someone ;)

Seriously though, Halfords isn't that bad, if you work around christmas it's brilliant, usual pay +Bonus_+overtime etc.

Got myself £300 before christmas, and £400 at the end of Jan.

Does me alright :D

Try getting a job at Tesco's. I work in a new Express store near me and I'm also 16 and they pay me £5.50 an hour and £6.50 on sundays. Also you can earn a 30% monthly bonus which is good (Y) They were also really helpful with me planning my hours around my other activites.

Edited by Freddie

What about your local leisure center, me mate used to do 6 - 10, then saturday mornings and got 6 pounds an hour for doing nothing!!

you could try a work agency for some ideas, or maybe a job center. personally i just went to the nearest shops and kept asking. the worse they are going to say it no!

I'd go into your local tesco's and hand in your CV and tell them if they open a new store near you soon you'd be interested. Sounds silly but Tesco are opening loads of the express stores nowadays. Also since my local store opened, they don't really bother looking after any application forms that get handed. They usually end up on the floor or in the bin. :P Your best chance is to get the job before they open.

Another good place to try would be local leisure centres like inzane said or even a gym. They seem to pay well and the peak hours for gyms etc are after normal working hours (5pm ->) so they want people to work evenings etc.

Ive said it before and ill say it again. If you can bear to talk to people try a call centre. I worked at a littlewoods one for 2 years and the pay is very good. £6.50HR on saturdays and nearly £8.00hr sundays. I quit after 2 years cos I couldnt stad it anymore