Anyone Go To Track Days/airfield Days?

JTM

I really want to go to a track/airfield to rage my car without much fear of wrapping it. The car is a fiesta zetec s, so I dont want the nurburgring so im just doing 115mph for 10 mins. A tight twisty track would be good, or an airfield so I can just do a bit of lift-off oversteering :)

Basically I just want to play, legally

ive taken my mini round castle combe, which was an INCREDIBLE day, although its perhaps not the track your after, as its a VERY fast track.... i was averaging over 75mph around it..... pushing 115 on the straights.

throughout the winter donnington park offer an open pit lane trackday for just £99! whereby you pay your money and you can drive as many laps as you like for just £99!!!!

i think donningtons MILES up north from me, so may be near you....

Oulton park is also supposed to be a very good day out..... with a nice mix of high and low speed corners...

one thing to point out, is that its going to cost you a LOT in tyres..... i took about 4k off my front yokos in just 12 laps of combe....... so thats around £50s worth of tyre.... more on your fiesta due to them being bigger.

it really is the most incredible fun though!

post-168-1140353564_thumb.jpg

I really really want to do it, ad I have a mate with a lovely mx5 who would join me, drifting b*****d!

I just need to get a idea of cost so i can set the money aside.

I know it probably ist THE best idea, but I plan to just finish my current tyres off roud a track, not the best for fast laps but better on my wallet and possibly more fun hehe. Did you spin etc nick while you were razzing? I expect your mini is pretty planted though so........

Did you spin etc nick while you were razzing? I expect your mini is pretty planted though so........

i didnt manage to spin it at all though (talk to NBR_andy about that :P) but i did have 2 VERY sideways moments.... each time trying to follow full race cars into bends at crazy speeds! i put it sideways into quarry at around 100mph, i posted the vid of that up on here a while back, luckily i saved it though both times :P so all was good! the mini is pretty planted.... but you can still come unstuck when you try to follow a car (thats won the extreme mighty minis series 3 years running) into a bend at race speeds.....

its insane fun, just make sure you dont total your car...... and watch out for other stuff going MUCH quicker than you!

I wouldnt suggest doing a track day on knackered tyres, you owuldn have as much fun due to reduced grip when you wear htem through, and you risk a blow out, not to mention you wont be able to drive home with your illegal tyres!

Its worth getting a spare set of wheels from a scrapy, even if its crappy steels, either to use on the track, or on the way home.

Being a frint wheel drive car your tyres are probably more knackered at the front than the rear (mine are anyway) so you would probably experiance balls loads of uninspiring understeer. If you want to get rid of an old set, swap them round from back of car to front. Then it may become a bit tail happy with tyres that aren't worn right to suit the rear sus.

Swings and round abouts. If you plan on doing it more than once get a cheap set of wheels that can take a decently wide tyre and buy some good quality road tyres for racing.