What Was The First Make?

joe_eyre

er i think their talking about trials frames :-

yeah so is he..

cannondale (beast of the east/ ashton frame)

Giant (hawyes frame)

peugot (fook knows)

B1 (the b1 trial (pretty much there jump bike with rigid forks)

Pace (the rc250?

Orange (zero (peter kraus)

Gt (team trial (hans rays mod)

Handsome dog (the wellard)

:P

Ben

GT were on the scene wayyy long ago. Probobly around the late 80's early 90's.

This one is bringing the newbies out of the woodwork for sure.

It'd be nice to see a timeline of bike manufacturer's top end examples but it's not happening really...

yeah, way back when i started ridin (bout 8 years ago) hans rey was already well established in trials, having used a dinky 14in Zasker frame and a GT (rebranded?) mod. and don't forget ashton and hawyesy's bikes were just small mountain bike frames ( Beast of the East and ATX890?) until they brought out they're signature frames. Monty and megamo were definitely out before them, and i think onza were next, then B1/Vario Tibo frames.

Lets not forget crescent and brisa. They were pretty early on, early 90's? Also, what was it that Tibbault Marrieux was riding in the Evolve i think it was?

OO OO OO, and Ian Coopers Raleigh Ti frame! did they ever produce that?

neways, for all the noobs, ZOO, Koxx and so on have only been around a few years. fookin eck, i had my sidekick as my 3rd trials frame when it first came out! koxx weren't even around then, and they are oldest of the new breed! u shud o seen us oldies ridin 6lb slalom frames with front sus and v brakes way back when! you young uns have had SOOOOOOOOOOO easy! :sick:

oh but the memories............................................. :D

smithy

yeah, way back when i started ridin (bout 8 years ago) hans rey was already well established in trials, having used a dinky 14in Zasker frame and a GT (rebranded?) mod. and don't forget ashton and hawyesy's bikes were just small mountain bike frames ( Beast of the East and ATX890?) until they brought out they're signature frames. Monty and megamo were definitely out before them, and i think onza were next, then B1/Vario Tibo frames.

Lets not forget crescent and brisa. They were pretty early on, early 90's? Also, what was it that Tibbault Marrieux was riding in the Evolve i think it was?

OO OO OO, and Ian Coopers Raleigh Ti frame! did they ever produce that?

neways, for all the noobs, ZOO, Koxx and so on have only been around a few years. fookin eck, i had my sidekick as my 3rd trials frame when it first came out! koxx weren't even around then, and they are oldest of the new breed! u shud o seen us oldies ridin 6lb slalom frames with front sus and v brakes way back when! you young uns have had SOOOOOOOOOOO easy! :sick:

oh but the memories............................................. :D

smithy

ahhhh!!!! at last someone with some REAL knowledge!! yeah i remember all those. god that does make you feel old haha i remember seeing one of the first echo frames at nass '01 or '02 can't remember which i went to and i just remember it being an ugly beast even though i was riding an old 12.5" GT tempest frame with flextastic FT cromo forks god they were bad hahaha

3 years ago, when I stopped riding, no one had ever heard of koxx, zoo, GU, Aorta, adamant, echo, ashton, CZAR, KOT, Mikebike, triton, leeson.(just coming onto the scene)

That's an indication as to how much trials has blown up since I stopped.

When I started, most people were running small XC frames, downhill bars (27inch was wide) Tioga Downhill tyres, and either 'burns or some downhill crank.

3 years ago, when I stopped riding, no one had ever heard of koxx, zoo, GU, Aorta, adamant, echo, ashton, CZAR, KOT, Mikebike, triton, leeson.(just coming onto the scene)

That's an indication as to how much trials has blown up since I stopped.

When I started, most people were running small XC frames, downhill bars (27inch was wide) Tioga Downhill tyres, and either 'burns or some downhill crank.

forget the leeson bit, they've been around for about 6 years, my mate has had his frame for about 4 years and still goin strong

i remember seeing one of the first echo frames at nass '01 or '02 can't remember which i went to and i just remember it being an ugly beast

yeah, i remember the first prototypes being shown on biketrial.com. and then remember em all snapping within 2 weeks of purchase! hehe. perhaps the worst product launch i've ever seen!

i've just quit trials. i'm know where near as good as i used to be, and get really frustrated when i'm out riding. have made a switch to street/dirt on both 26in and bmx, see how that goes. its hard seeing all the young guns comin through within about 4 months of riding, because o the calibre of riders and parts for inspiration, it gives a huge boost to new talent. i remember stuff me n ma cousin used to do as a general progression of riding up and off stuff, and then seeing it in a magazine or video about 6 months later!

oh, and the newbies video viewing list for homework this week is:

Dirt (RIP JMC)

Chainspotting

Revolution

Evolve

Contact

and a really old MBUK freebie with Steve Pete on the front riding for MBUK/GT (crap, thats even before the were sponsored by specialized!)

all available on video cassette (remember those?) from your local car boot sale

smithy