What Cassette Shall I Run On A Hope Xc Rear Hub?

steve-o1986

I have single speed, much easier and tidyer than a big ugly cassette, but, if you don't get a good sprocket eg. King kog then you will have a digging in effect where the sprocket begins to cut threw the free hub body.

if you like ability to change gear or still do comp/off road stick with gears.. by a sram road cassette as they have close ratios (15,16,17,18,19) then take out the ones you don't use and run 6.... the idea behind single speed, is take away the rear mec so you don't hit it, but then most of the time you have to run a chain devise so what's the point :S

I still run gears and hop to drive side and don't hit the mec + theres nothing like having the option to change gear for that shity obstacle (Y)

You'll want something small to get around with say 12 0r 11 tooth, then maximum you'd want really would be 20 tooth for a very easy and slow gear better for technical riding on rocks and things. Then just things like 19,18,17 and some others that you choose to use.

My personal gearing ratio is 22 tooth chainring to 18 tooth rear kog. i find this to be a very nice gear for me and it's single speed because i don't like the clutter of gears. Plus as DAB said there's a higher chancce i'd bend/snap a mech hanger with gears on but he was wrong about single speed not sorting it.... fresh products chain tensioner, i icepick stalled on mine and it didn't do a thing... well there's a slight scratch :D .

You'll want a gear ratio along the lines of 22 tooth chain ring and 17,18 or 19 rear kog. Unless you have a smaller chainring like a 20tooth or 18tooth. in which case you'll want a smaller cog like a 16 or 14

Single speed all the way.

Get your ass on google and look for a Surly Singleator and a nice beefy chain. No more gear adjustments and chain slipping... It's the way forward.

Oh, yeah, and gear ratio? Go to a bike shop and test some out, see what you find best.

One mans thong is another mans Y front.

I agree with DAB, I run single speed because of the weight loss off the back of my bike. (needed because of a heavy rear rim (N) )

I've ridden bikes with gears and its alot nicer to ride to a spot (Y) . So if you don't mind a bit of extra weight on the back than go for gears it'll save you alot of leg ache going to places. Plus you can set up the ratio to what ever terrain or section you may find yourself going through.

The advantages of single speed are that you have a good weight loss on your bike (allways a plus to have a lighter bike) and you'll get a overall cleaner look for your bike

I think it depends alot on what kind of rider you are. Do you change gear alot when your riding, if yes than have gears, but if you leave it in one gear for alot of the time then why not go single speed?

i run Gusset single speed kit on the back on my XC, i find its very good in the way it has never let me down so far, although if you run this, make sure you get a bigger chain, i ran a shimano on it for 2 months and it constantly skipped, which caused many injuries, but then when i bought a KMC 1/8 it was fine, and ran as smooth as i would have dreamed, this is compared to the skipping before.

The disadvantages of the gusset single speed kit is: price - £18 is abit much, it can be very hard to fit and to get off.

It's simple... can you live in one gear???? if yes go single speed....... if no go for gears........

The only real restraint is if you do comp! and i mean ones that enforce the 6 gears minimum!!

I've got 6 gears no my bike but i rarely change them, but when i have changed it was for a good reason and was able to do something that a single speeder more than likely not be able to do......

Cheers for the advise guys, i'm seriously thinking about going single speed, i'll go try one out this weekend when i test out the onza t-rex.

But i am still more persuaded to get a 6 cog cassette, i noticed that the pre-built onza t-rex comes with grip shift, i would of thought to put on rapid fire shifters as thats what i used to use, is there any advantages for using grip shift?

Surely you would accidently change gear when you attempt any kind of hop?

One more question regarding single speed, whats this i hear about the free wheel cutting into the hub? and would it be easy to fit it myself?

Cheers for your help

Steve-o B)

Cheers for the advise guys, i'm seriously thinking about going single speed, i'll go try one out this weekend when i test out the onza t-rex.

But i am still more persuaded to get a 6 cog cassette, i noticed that the pre-built onza t-rex comes with grip shift, i would of thought to put on rapid fire shifters as thats what i used to use, is there any advantages for using grip shift?

Surely you would accidently change gear when you attempt any kind of hop?

One more question regarding single speed, whats this i hear about the free wheel cutting into the hub? and would it be easy to fit it myself?

Cheers for your help

Steve-o B)

The advantage of grip shift is that you can move the brake lever further down the bar and it is more out of the way, as for changing when you ride, you won't because you hold the grip not the grip shift...

As for the cog cutting in to the freehub body, it's were you use one gear all the time and the pressure forces the cog in to the splines on the freehub body... this happens if you run gears of not.. even if the cassette is bolted together it can still happen..

Regarding the gripshift, if you're worried about changing gear accidentally you could cut the shifter down a bit so the bit that you twist to change gear is shorter or do as DAB said and move it down the bar so it's out the way.

I think gripshift is cheaper as well, about £8 whereas the cheapest I've seen a rapid fire shifter was about £15.

When I first started out I was a bit worried about having gripshift for similar reasons as you said but it hasn't been a problem so I've no reason to change.

Hope that helps.