Attention Mac Geeks...

Lunja

Hey guys-

Just incase this interests anyone, Apple have released a set of drivers for Intel Macs so you can boot into OSX or a copy of Windows. Something to consider...

Do a Google for "Apple Boot Camp" and it should come up.

Yeah lol- there was a comp on the net to be the first programmer to create a Windows on Intel Mac hack- turns out Apple were working on it all along ^_^

OSX on a PC? I'm not too sure Apple will do it, but it's bound to be hacked one day. I wouldn't want to be the one to do it though- Apple tend to go a bit overboard with the lawsuits... :)

EDIT: As a matter of interest, who would run OSX, either full time or for certain apps, on their PC if they could?

Edited by Lunja

The Apple thing is downloadable for free apparently- you just need a bona-fide copy of Windows XP- not bundled start-up disks allowed.

It'd be great to run Windows or Linux as well, even if I'd only use XP for solitaire lol

as Haz said, we'll never see osx run OFFICIALY on your home x86 pc.

XP running on apple hardware = more sales for apple = good

OSX running on pc hardware = less sales for apple = bad

edit : oh f**k you danny :(

Edited by alexnessie

what we really need is one that goes the other way , allowing us to dual boot osx onto pc's

No thanks,

With all the hardware combinations possible with a pc, the mac drivers just cant keep up, so unless you spec your system very carefully, you'll end up with compatability problems.

Would be nice to have a bosh though and see how much more optimised it really is compared to windows.

Got the new imac intel duo not so long ago, im using boot campt. Its fairly good. I would much rather use osx though for many reasons. Micrsoft is so far behind if you ask me.

Luke

Is the Core Duo really as good as Apple make out? Cos I swear Photoshop loads faster on my Quad 2.5 G5 than it did on the iMac they had at MacWorld - I watched the KeyNote video and the iMac took ages loading.

J.

At the moment Photoshop isn't native to the intel processor, so apple wrote Rosetta, a program which converts the binary, so it takes up quite a bit of power, as soon as photoshop is native it will be up to scratch.

Besides, a G5 iMac would never compete with a Quad G5, Solo 2.1GHz Vs Quad 2.5GHz, no match...

Besides, a G5 iMac would never compete with a Quad G5, Solo 2.1GHz Vs Quad 2.5GHz, no match...

Yeah, but the new Intel iMac Duos may well out-run a Quad G5. But you are quite right about Photoshop, it's only going to be run in emulation until CS3 comes out which apparently won't be this year.

But in other things (programs which ARE native to Intel), the new Intels piss on the G5s and G4s.

Yeah, but the new Intel iMac Duos may well out-run a Quad G5. But you are quite right about Photoshop, it's only going to be run in emulation until CS3 comes out which apparently won't be this year.

But in other things (programs which ARE native to Intel), the new Intels piss on the G5s and G4s.

I must agree with you, photshop does take its time to get up and running. Its true to say they run 2 - 3 x quicker though, I have had the imac G5 and it pisses over that. Startup the speed doesnt really show much difference allthough opening applications like itunes etc or searching through finder it defiantly shows some serious speed. isnt the next imac going to be compatible with most software, or do we just have to wait for software company's to update there software so its universal?

I think it's a case of waiting for publishers to write Universal Binary.

Just wait for the MacBook pro with the upcoming dual core Intel Merom- that'll be a killer...

thats allready out isnt it?

oh, one thing I found really good when i called to order my mac, the lady said are you a student by any chance, so I was like yerrr. And she said, i could get the mac for roughly £150 cheaper, well pleased I was. I was only going to get the 17inch one, but I decided to get the 20 as it was so cheap :P