Picharrs From Bexhill.

Hobnobs

Had a nice ride in bexhill today. Started off rubbish as guy and i could not ride for shit. Then we went to a spot on the sea front and regained our amazing skills. Shot a bit of footage, and then went to the "de la warr pavilion" and eggerton park. Got a few nice pics, a few arty ones, and the compulsory silhouette.

Two shots, not sure which is best, decide for me!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sidehop.

IPB Image

Guys bike and legs.

IPB Image

Static to backwheel.

IPB Image

Blunt from rick.

IPB Image

Rail blunt.

IPB Image

Guys gay pose.

IPB Image

Shadow.

IPB Image

Bad silhoeutte.

IPB Image

Static to backwheel on metal thing.

IPB Image

Blunt.

IPB Image

Comments appreciated. :turned:

Edited by Hobnobs

Sorry to be the baddie here, but I really didn't think these were upto much. What's this fashion for badly composed shots with off bits cut off? It's just wrong really. The decent action shots were overexposed, and the rest of the action shots are a bit dull. I've still to see a good action shot taken with the rider facing away from the camera... A good shot is all in the eyes.

The first two and the last one are 'ooh, i've got shallow DoF' but not good shots. What does a flower have anything to do with trials? The last one is better, but only if you're trying to take a shot illustrating tyre fold, rather than art.

Potential, but needs more work!

F-Stop Junkie do you have any links to your ride pics? I imagine them to be good but couldn't seam to find any.

Constructive criticism is good (Y)

All this camera talk is encouraging me to

1: use my camera more,

and

2: buy a new camera :-

Sorry to be the baddie here, ....

Bad composition, tell me what would be better! I have no idea about comp except the rule of thirds, and that doesnt push my buttons. The one with just guys legs was an off the hip shot, and i was way too close to get anything more in, but its the only one with bits cut off (that arent just of a wheel)

I was shooting in have mode, so blame canon for the over exposure :P It seems to look worse on here than before the compression had its way with them.

Flower - spring, and i just thought it was more interesting than a blunt on a wall. Seemed good at the time, and i still like it.

You've told me i need to get eyes in the shots (i already knew that, but with blunts etc it looses the height of the wall), but have you got any other tips for getting better action shots?

Cb Productions.

I use a canon 350d, but the quality was toned down in paint :turned: and then bummed by compression!

I thought most of there were too far away, rather than too close, i would prefer to fill the frame with the rider. The ones which were too close, assuming you mean the ones of the tyres, were on purpose.

Cheers for the comments so far, i would rather take bad pictures and be told why, than people lie and me never get any better.

I too would Love to see some of F stop Junkies work. I see him bowling around telling everyone how bad they are. Ive never seen anything by him. :(

On the other hand, wtf is this sudden bandwagon of everyone taking out of focus or 'arty' photos as everyone calls them. Sorry they just plain suck, nothing against you personally HobNob just happened to be this thread im replying too. That pose is gay too the point where I would hve deleted it .

First couple of pics would do well in an art project or something like that! (not saying that in a diss way, just my thoughts)

F Stop Junkie is a very good cameraman, been doing it a long time. Has captured some of my facial expressions perfectly! :-

Just a quick fave from his site is this one

F-Stop's gallery.

Fair enough with the arty stuff, next time ill just take action shots.

Just do what you think is best phil. There is nothing wrong with a bit of variation in pictures, your a creative photographer, and you produce creative shots. I could make dig at some of 'f-stop junkie's amazing shots such as This one, but i wont.

So yes, keep up the good work.

I could make dig at some of 'f-stop junkie's amazing shots such as This one, but i wont.

but could you though?

Those shots on photobox arn't Chris's best work IMO. He's sent me some shots that he took at Bike show last year and I can asure you they are AMAZING. Also some of the other shots that hes taken around London not involving tials at all.

So before you all start going " ahh yeh matee lets see you do better thenn,"......dont.

Some good shots, the flower ones are well taken but I can't really see them as being connected despite your explination.

I like the other close ups, shows your looking at stuff from different angles.

Rob (Y)

Bad composition, tell me what would be better! I have no idea about comp except the rule of thirds, and that doesnt push my buttons. The one with just guys legs was an off the hip shot, and i was way too close to get anything more in, but its the only one with bits cut off (that arent just of a wheel)

I was shooting in have mode, so blame canon for the over exposure :P It seems to look worse on here than before the compression had its way with them.

Flower - spring, and i just thought it was more interesting than a blunt on a wall. Seemed good at the time, and i still like it.

You've told me i need to get eyes in the shots (i already knew that, but with blunts etc it looses the height of the wall), but have you got any other tips for getting better action shots?

I use a canon 350d, but the quality was toned down in paint :turned: and then bummed by compression!

I thought most of there were too far away, rather than too close, i would prefer to fill the frame with the rider. The ones which were too close, assuming you mean the ones of the tyres, were on purpose.

When I say bad composition, I mean ones like the guys bike and legs shot in this thread, or AndyT's B&W entry in the photo comp, or the Koxxdays one of an arm holding a bike. They're usually on the wonk (Sorry, from the hip if you're from the world of Lomos...) and they cut off half a rider. Most to me look like an accidental photo. Maybe it's just me, maybe I just don't get it.

The action shots arn't badly composed at all, just don't like riders shot from behind - so to speak. Ups are incredibly hard to shoot, unless they're something like a rail.

A-V mode? You mean have mode I guess if you're playing around with DoF. Some Canons do have a tendancy to over-expose, so some people dial in a little exposure compensation to get around it.

The first flower shot is a good use of DoF, the second less so. You have to be careful though that you have foreground interest, instead of looking like a good flower photo with a trials rider accidentally in the back ground.

Any other tips? Play around with flash, look at pictures you like and copy the style initally, then develop your own once you're really happy with your shots. Oh, and it may be worth looking for some decent image software if you're using paint! Photoshop Elements is cheap, GIMP and irfanview are free!

Hah, stupid t-f thing turned A-V, into have. I was mainly using it because that was i can set it to 3.5 and get the fastest shutter speed available, not really thinking about DOF at the time.

When i said off the hip, i actually meant shooting with the camera next to my hip :) So yeah, it was accidental.

On camera flash sucks as most people agree, so i may save up for a decent one, as i do like pictures with a good bit of fill in.

Ive got photoshop cs2, but i find paint is much better for resizing! When i can be bothered to shoot in raw i use the software that came with the camera, but my card is only 512mb so i generally dont bother with PP.

I've been looking at a lot that you've taken, and people at koxx days, and they generally seem extremely similar. Perhaps theres not much you can do with trials riding, in terms of composition anyway. I shall experiment tomorrow hopefully, and post up if i get any good results.

Edited by Hobnobs

On camera flash sucks as most people agree, so i may save up for a decent one, as i do like pictures with a good bit of fill in.

Ive got photoshop cs2, but i find paint is much better for resizing! When i can be bothered to shoot in raw i use the software that came with the camera, but my card is only 512mb so i generally dont bother with PP.

The on camera flash is good for fill only, unless it's really bright sun or you're quite a distance away. It's not great, but it's good enough! Only problem is you can't bounce it.

Try Irfanview for resizing. It's freeware, but handles files well and you don't lose quality because of it.

Just do what you think is best phil. There is nothing wrong with a bit of variation in pictures, your a creative photographer, and you produce creative shots.

<Sarky comment removed>

So yes, keep up the good work.

Couldn't agree more. The great thing about digital photography is that there is no per shot expense compared to film. Best thing in the world is to go out, try things, and see what works! Those that don't, don't, and nothing is lost...

I've been looking at a lot that you've taken, and people at koxx days, and they generally seem extremely similar. Perhaps theres not much you can do with trials riding, in terms of composition anyway. I shall experiment tomorrow hopefully, and post up if i get any good results.

Remember that a lot of my work doesn't get posted in those galleries. I've had to keep some held back for copyright reasons because I've submitted it to magazines or photo libraries. I also have a lot of non-trials stuff I've not posted, heck, I've got three ring binders full of slides covering 99-03, most of which have never seen the light of day.

Often the most creative or different stuff of mine doesn't get posted on Photobox or on here because it's used elsewhere. The stuff on Photobox may not be amazing, but it's there for riders to purchase if they wish. I don't just put up my 10 best shots of the day.