Complete Disk Brake

Sam Ward

what is the best mechenical complete disk set to buy for under £50. i am wandering as i need it for my dirt bike. as i said could it be a complete like cable lever rotor and the caliber as i'm finding ithard to find all this.

samuel ;)

what is the best mechenical complete disk set to buy for under £50. i am wandering as i need it for my dirt bike. as i said could it be a complete like cable lever rotor and the caliber as i'm finding ithard to find all this.

samuel ;)

hayes brakes are meant to be pretty good e-bay £35 front or rear

id go with hydraulic though e-bay it hopes are going £50 and have loads of bite i have monos on my dirt bike got em for £140 f&r new style

If you can stretch you buget a little more to say £60-70 you can get a full Avid Mechanincal BB7, look on www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk All you have to do is buy the caliper and rotor which is in the link above and then buy some xt or avid straight jacket brake cables and then buy a speed dial 7 lever.

Hope I Helped :D

Edited by Monkey_style

hi if you re wanting a good disc brake for £50 you will have to get a second hand one off forsale/wanted section or ebay, but i dont think that you will be able to get a good disc new for that amount of money, i mite be wrong hope i helped thanks aff1e

thesehayes mx-2 are absolutly mint cable disc brakes , you can pick up cable from lbs for about £1 and use any lever you want or depending what side lever you want i may be able to give you a hayes lever ( only got left hand side ). (Y) Edited by watto

I know you said a cable disc brake but i would strongly suggest you think about a hydrolic one. The hayes range are great and you should be able to pick up a complete brake for around £45 (ebay it up). I would recommend either the hfx-9 or hfx-mag if you find one on there because of the shear power and performance you get with them. I am running one of the older hfx-9's on my jump bike and its great.. nice big 8" rotor and it has to be one of the strongest discs i've ever used. Mine was second hand as well and set me back a whopping £30.

The reason behind me advising the hydrolic is because it's generally a fit and forget job with them as apposed to cable brakes where the cable often needs adjusting and they have more moving parts on them so are more prone to either cloging up with mud and jamming or being damaged due to bailing, i know this can happen with any brake but i've seen more broken cable discs due to bailing on jumps than hydraulic ones.

The recommendation of the avid bb7 is not advised, these brakes are said to have issues with brake fade as they get warm which isn't something that really concerns trials as its usually on or off with some slight modulation when appropriate. With dirt/downhill the brake is used to gradually slow and to help with cornering and with this it heats up a lot more so you would more than likely find the power of your brake fading as you ripped up the dirt.

I would recommend either keeping an eye on either this one Link or this one Link.

If you can stretch you buget a little more to say £60-70 you can get a full Avid Mechanincal BB7, look on www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk All you have to do is buy the caliper and rotor which is in the link above and then buy some xt or avid straight jacket brake cables and then buy a speed dial 7 lever.

Hope I Helped :D

Gavin from United Kingdom asks

Question Does this come pre-bled and ready to use?

CRC Replies

Yes, the brake is complete, fully bled and ready to fit to the bike.

What a tit

Edited by terror-error

I managed to pick up a deore hydro disc for £50 last year for the front of my jump bike. It's been excellent, good power and modulation, with a comfy lever, and has put up with the neglect of not being touched since fitting, so all good.