Lock On Or Not

good god don't get lock ons unless you actually want to die :o they come loose when you put alot of pressure on them i.e. gapping, drops, trials in general. also because the screws use 2.5mm alan keys you cant tighten them up at all without rounding off your alan keys or the actual screw

" I dont mean to sound special but im kind of new so What are lock ons? wacko.gif"

lock ons are grips that bolt to your bars they just slip on with a plastic tube that the grips are mounted on they are way easyer to fit.

hope that cleared things up

joe

sorry screwd quote up

Edited by Onza Joe

lock ons are grips with a little collar ever end and you tighten them up so it is easy to put on and take off

and adjust them for comfort so u don't have to worry of your grips slipping and u just replace the grip when it

wears down so they are easyier and quicker. here you go have a look at some http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=399

here are the ones i have got and they haven't gone wrong with me yet and they have last over a year and a half and a really comfortable some of the best you can get :D

good god don't get lock ons unless you actually want to die :o they come loose when you put alot of pressure on them i.e. gapping, drops, trials in general. also because the screws use 2.5mm alan keys you cant tighten them up at all without rounding off your alan keys or the actual screw

Well your the only person so far thats managed to round the bolts, your allenkey and to have the grips come loose. That might not be the grips fault, but maybe a bad mechanic blaming his tools?

I have used the odi ruffian lock ons with no problem at all and am currently using some lizard skins ones on my jump bike, there is no real difference in quality between the 2 and i would have to say i preferred the lizard skins ones. My original ODI ruffian lock ons wore out ages ago but i'm currently using the same lock on clamp collars to hold my current grips in place a mere 2 years later.. and my bolts still aren't rounded.

Positives:

• Clamp well and are easy to remove/fit
  • Bolts are strong and clamps can take a beating
  • youre grips wont move in the wet like other non-lock ons i've had.

Negatives:

• Feel very thick, which some people dont like about grips in trials
  • mine used to creak if they were loose, but you know what to do if they creak... tighten them up

I dont rate odi style lock-ons, they are too fat, they wobble even when done up, there is a metal collor on the outside of the grip, just where I like to put my hand and the bolts arn't the strongest ever.

The best lock-on grips I have used are Massi ones off ebay (virsion 1) they are just held with two grub screws on one end, leaving the other free of any uncomfy bolts.....They dont spin either and the grub screws are super hard to round off.

Take a look at the new dmr Lock-ons, I think they are prtty much the same.

Ill just agree with everybody else.

The lock-ons I've used are too thick - I've tried lizardskins and ODI and didn't get on with either. Also when you stack the bolts get mashed up and you cant get the buggers off or on properly anymore.

Cheap, long, thin grips fixed on with hairspray are the way to go. Make sure your bars are clean before you put them on and they'll never move.

I don't like the locks on grips either. I personally find that grips stay on really well with WD40 (Use copiously and scrunch in around in the grip before pushing grips onto bar and leaving over night). I can't see why I'd need to spend so much more, and live with the metal collar thingy which is in completely the wrong place.

For keeping the grips on I tried hairspray too, but it wasn't as reliable for me as WD40. MBUK's idea of using clear spray paint sounds expensive and unnecessary.

Steve

I dont rate odi style lock-ons, they are too fat, they wobble even when done up, there is a metal collor on the outside of the grip, just where I like to put my hand and the bolts arn't the strongest ever.

The best lock-on grips I have used are Massi ones off ebay (virsion 1) they are just held with two grub screws on one end, leaving the other free of any uncomfy bolts.....They dont spin either and the grub screws are super hard to round off.

Take a look at the new dmr Lock-ons, I think they are prtty much the same.

By far the best thing i have used for getting grips on/off is anti persperant (not deoderant like Lynx, that doesnt really work) generally the kind of stuff that goes white after spraying. Right Guard seemed to work the best.

Just spray on the inside of the grip and wnag it on the bar, then leave it a good couple of hours. It might feel a bit looses at first, but that soon wears off and the grip is solid as. For removing, just prise up the ends of the grips with a screwdriver (taking care not to scratch the bars) and spray a little underneath.

Taa daaaaa!

Hope this was of use.

Rob

• 5 weeks later...

man youve got balls :cool2: all i can say is :helmet:

I had lockons for over a year, nothin happened to them...

They dont come loose unless you hardly tighten them which is stupid

Best bet is to cut groves in the heads of the bolts when you 1st get them so you can use a screwdriver to tighten them, work ace then

ok cheers not lock ons then what should I put on the bars to keep them on but not wd40 doesnt work for me

Zip ties, give enough clearence for hands, put them tight enough, and they shouldn't budge.

i just use any standard good grips except "dmr zip grips (N) " how i get my grips on and off i just spray the old wd40 or tf2 just stab a screwdriver under the grip pull the grip with the screw driver then spray tf2 take the screwdriver out then the liquid gets to the grip then you just yank em off and it makes that pop sound lol