Web Hosting

Tony Harrison

Right, I'm fed up with Lycos' hosting. They keep messing me about, and despite my account settings being set so that I can't exceed my bandwidth limit, somehow it's 8 times over it's limit. This is the last straw, so I'm looking for something better.

My requirements are... a couple of gig disk space, 20Gb/month bandwidth, PHP, MySQL, reliable secure server. I'm prepared to pay up to £10 a month including VAT.

So, what do people recommend? Is Ageis any good?

Thanks.

Edited by snappel

10 quid a month. :o

I'd be un-happy if i was paying anything over 4. :P

I use hosting-unlimited.net for my spare hosting account, and i can't fault them. I pay 30 a year too, although that was an eBay deal. You could also try sniffhost.net or something, saw someone recommend them on here.

As i said, my hosting is from an eBay deal, have you looked there? Theres often some awesome deals going on there.

I did get an eBay one, but it was shite (£4 a year!!). I couldn't configure my domain name - they only provided one nameserver IP, and my DNS manager for my domain name wouldn't let me put in the same details for NS1 and NS2. So I gave up.

But I'll check the links you mentioned and try eBay again, cheers.

ebay item no. 6055852355 , brlliant hosting, was with them for two years, amazing value. Only moved as they wouldn't renew my hosting for some reason, but may go back as my new host is crap.

I probably don't need anywhere near that much space. I think my current account is filled up with crap, like old versions of websites, files and junk I've hosted for other people. So about 500Mb would probably do...

hostgator.co.uk looks pretty good to me.

Yeah, it is a bit suspect... £4 a year, unlimited webspace, unlimited bandwidth.

What's the deal? Surely you'll rinse it out in a few days. Or perhaps they expect you'll have given them good feedback by then...

Actually it's £12 and I haven't got a bad word to say about them, There's no deal, it's just a good offer on shared servers. I think the cPanel is something special; everything is where it should be and with Fantastico they have loads of scripts with automated installation. Anyway, i'll shut up now, just a recommedation, and alot cheaper than the £120 a year you are prepared to pay.

http://www.sniffhost.net/x/hosting/home/

Simon's already said them but yeah, i was palnning on ordering either the £24.95 pa or the £39.99 per annum plan from here. Both have got what you are looking for and are well below budget. They're in England, Linux servers, all the features and i've pinged them and it was reasonably quick (do it yourself for the exact figure). Although i'm fairly new to searching for hosting this is what i've been reccomended and it seems good.

Max