Avid Bb7 / Bb Road

Alun Goch

Ones intended for mountain bike and off raod use, the other is intended for touring bikes mainly. I'm not sure if they have different mounts or anything though but do yourself a favor and don't consider buying one.

Road levers pull a different amount of cable. If you were to try using avid road brakes, then you would be pulling a lot more cable than your levers were designed for, and your levers would be coming right back to the bar before the brake bit.

now there my kids, is a experienced rider

swot

LOL xx

Just been thinking, on a road bike you want more modulation because you have less traction and are travelling at a higher speed, therefore surely you would want a slightly less grabby brake?

So maybe the road comes with slightly harder pads to provide more modulation.

P.S. This is a hypothesis, I'm just speculating, it may or may not be true.

Just been thinking, on a road bike you want more modulation because you have less traction and are travelling at a higher speed, therefore surely you would want a slightly less grabby brake?

So maybe the road comes with slightly harder pads to provide more modulation.

Same pads, same discs, just a different lever arm to pull the correct amount of cable for road levers.

If you can find them, canti levers may work, twiddling the speed dial almost certainly would not.

But doesn't that mean that as soon as some poor roady grabs the brake a little hard he's going to go over the bars?

Yep, but I imagine they'll be for cyclocross as road bikes don't come with disc mounts, therefore they'll need stronger brakes and won't be going as fast anyway.

But doesn't that mean that as soon as some poor roady grabs the brake a little hard he's going to go over the bars?

The same way you did the first time you rode with Maguras or discs? Of course not. I'm sure any rider using disc brakes for the first time, be it trials, road, mountain bikes or whatever, will always be a little cautious at first. Do you honestly think that people other than trials riders have no sense of braking feel?

A roadie has every bit the same chance of going over the bars on a bike with disc brakes as you and I.

Some roadies choose disc brakes if they're touring and carrying a lot of luggage, some because they're doing steep downhill sections in the Alps, and if they drag a rim brake then the heat can cause the tyre to heat up and either pop off the rim, or roll off if it's a tub which is glued on. Also Cyclo-cross riders because of mud, and because they want good stoppers. Certainly if I ever had a road bike, I'd be keen on discs.