Martin Hawyes? Where Is He Now?

bEavoLa

(apologies in advance if this has been raised, but i couldn't see anything using the search option)

i was just wondering where Martin Hawyes is these days? last i heard, he'd left Giant and gone to DiamondBack (as everyone knows) but the Diamondback site makes no reference to any Trials bikes nor Hawzie!

so - any ideas?

cheers

Hahaha :lol:

Sounds like a crappy deal for him with DB. At least he got to ride that Belaey for a bit I guess. Probably nicer to ride than his old Giant, I'd have thought...

To be honest though, it's about time he got onboard with Ashtonbikes, what with him 'n' Martyn being friends 'n' stuffs.

I think you guys are missing the point, being given a big corporate deal and relative financial security, then having it taken away somehow is out of order. Even though the ashton is an excellent there is no way Martyn can provide the sort of financial support a big company does for Martin. I don't know what happened, but if James says he was screwed over then I'll take his word on it.

Wasn't he an ambassador for the british trials thing? I think i remember reading it somewhere.

The rep from the UK committee on the world body, wasn't it? Didn't Brian Matthews take over again though, or am I full-bore wrong about that?

old man savage :lol: hes going to get yo for that one mick. Fred is only a mere 36 years old i was informed :-:lol:

ye what Portaaaaaaaaaaaaaay has said is about right.

Hawzee though is now marketing manager/director or summit down @ fishers doing the SHIZWAK!!!! (Y) he does a bit ont bike when he can. but hes quite busy with work commitments etc etc.

Waynio.....................

He was up our way at the weekend popped into the shop and had a good old catch up for a good couple of hours. Still the same sound hawzee and character he was when i met him like 4 1/2 years ago!!! still has the up most respect from me. was/is and will still be an idol of mine for a long time. hes always cracking jokes aswell. :D

Sounds like a crappy deal for him with DB. At least he got to ride that Belaey for a bit I guess. Probably nicer to ride than his old Giant, I'd have thought...

It wasn't that crap... 5 figures I'd heard through the rumour mill anyway, and who else is going to provide that for riding a trials bike?

Hawzee will always be one of my favourite riders. Tricks & Stunts had me in stitches, and was the biggest inspiration when I decided to spend two months Tesco pay on a small hardtail bike (GT Arrowhead!) to try and do trials on. Total legend, and a cool character with it. Couldn't resist buying one of his old frames (cheers Wayne) to stick in the loft, despite him telling me at Addingham once that it not having four-bolt mounts was 'the stupidest thing you've ever heard'...

IPB Image

P.S. Is anything happening with Feebal? They put together a kick-ass site a while back, but then it disappeared.

Edited by snappel

P.S. Is anything happening with Feebal? They put together a kick-ass site a while back, but then it disappeared.

was talking to the marts about that a while ago... hawzie is really good at artistic shizwack and that... did art at college or summat.

he said that feebal was just summat they did as a bit of fun... apparently they got a few emails from parents asking why they couldnt get hold of the stuff... but they just didnt get the time to make the stuff. he said he would like to do summat with it again... but you know, we can hope.

IPB Image

(how much do i like that frame? LOADS, mate....loads) (Y)

damn shame about Hawzies deal with Diamondback going pear shaped! :(

just because he doesn't get the public attention as much as Martyn A people tend to forget him, but it'd be great to see him back in action with a decent sponsorship deal under his belt - if only for being a part of trials history with "Dirty Tricks" waaaaaaay back in June 1998. i bet you can't count the number of people that THAT video/dvd has gotten into trials! he's an ambassador for the sport and deserves some of the spotlight

Plus the countless show, demo, comp and MBUK appearances. He's one half of 'The Martins' for f**ks sake!! As I said, a true legend, and very under-rated by some of today's younger riders. In fact, he'd be in my top 5 list of people I'd like to go on a chilled out ride with.

I've got his autograph :P

The bike show used to be so beast :)

i was just watching my copy of "Contact" and forgot that it shows the Speed Trials from a VERY old Bike show where Hawziee is pitted against Ryan Leech (no less) and takes the win after Leech loses it on top of a spine obstacle.

typical Hawziee - cool as hell and kept his composure till the end (which, if yer racing Ryan Leech cannot be easy to do!)

(Y)