Martin Ashtons New Deal

Hi

I have heard that Martin Ashton is striking a deal with orange bikes on new frames. He said that this is because the money for developing his frames was becoming short in supply, so he had a talk with Orange bikes and they are going to begin to make the frames together(Martins brains and skill and Orange Bikes money). If you look at his bike he is riding at the moment you will also notice the Orange Bikes logo on the frame.

I will try and find out any more information on it,

thanks

Will

Edited by willwithashton

Cool! sounds like a good idea, i really liked the old orange zero frames, very streety and i can see the resemblance (sp) between them and Ashton what with all his streety spins and manuals + god knows what else he does :P . I cant wait to see the outcome of this, should prove to be a really good street riding frame.

Will be interesting!

judging on the magazine pictures etc, it is an Orange Ashton, exactly the same but with an orange logo on the headtube, i hope they would go into developemtn and do components etc

from MBUK's bit on martyn. 'joined up to create a strong distribution of Ashton products and to widen the Ashton range' - new bits woo hoo

'Orange have given me an amazing opportunity to expand' (Y)

well then, thats what he supposedly said. sorted

It'd be good to see how this goes, the frame price might be given a boost under the Orange name, although they may become cheaper due to the reduction of import and manufacture costs.

With Orange's manfacturing experience and Martins trials experience they can boost his already decent frame...I can see the frame being developed further, if not bringing out a range of models.

Ashton with a monocoque downtube :wub:

Would be lush...

Maybe they will continue the taiwanese ones and make some special

"handmade in halifax" special models that are different and amazing?

Who knows, maybe the zero will be back with new geo B)

Orange said that they kept all the jigs etc for the zero in case they wanted to bring it back.

whats wrong with the ashton frame?

it seems that everyone that has one thinks they are great. the brand also recently brought out the et frame and looked as if they were going to carry on getting bigger. with the amount of people buying the frames why does he need this deal?

more money for him i guess

I think its to help ashton bikes expand, presumable if its going to stay

under the ashtonbikes name just making trials bikes then its not going to be competing with orange,

and it means more money for development of new frames, which is not a cheap job at all.

And i should imagine it means more security for him too, what with him having a wife and kid(s?)

I think it's a shame.

I liked the idea that Ashton had his own bike company, better than a big company out to sell as many bikes as they want. I realise it will still be designed by Ashton so pretty much the same geo and all that. I have no problem with orange though, i think they make great products and all the extra stuff. I used to love the Zero when it was out, and i always wanted one until they stopped being put into production

It's just a shame that Ashton bikes will be trading under Orange instead, i liked the idea that one of the most iconic trials riders of the last decade had his own individual trials specific company.

Also i understand that he may be lacking in funds and things which may cause him to join with Orange.

It may even be better for the trials community due to cheaper(maybe) frames and other parts. But it sort of looses the individuality and becomes more of a signature frame/range.

I'm sure i'll change my mind when they come out.

whats wrong with the ashton frame?

it seems that everyone that has one thinks they are great. the brand also recently brought out the et frame and looked as if they were going to carry on getting bigger. with the amount of people buying the frames why does he need this deal?

more money for him i guess

The ET frame has been and gone :S

It's already been said that A: the frame is *probably* just gonna be re-badged, and B : The development money for the frame has been getting short, so thats where Orange step in - Orange get arguably the best known trials rider in the UK riding a bike wiht their name written all over it, and Martyn gets money to carry on development.

Greedy? What? Welcome to the world of business :S

Maybe Orange should get Petr Kraus back. Would be an awesome duo if he's still around.

Sadly Petr is now a street rider for Author.

I say bring back the old days and get Martyn back on an old Cannondale :D

I cant see anything too bad about this whole thing, one of the main men

behind trials being so big in the UK teaming up with probably the uk's

best bike manafacturer. Best of british...

Who knows, maybe the zero will be back with new geo B)

Yeah, a Zero with the same monocoque downtube and front end, with a chainstay yoke (so they didn't ALL snap) and up-to-date geometry would be awesome. Although the price would have to be right, I seem to remember the Zero going for around £500 back in the day. At that price I don't think they would compete with the likes of Onza, Zoo, Echo etc.

I can't see why a lot of you arecomplaining about ashton (possibly or w.e) joining orange, it's business, and it can only help lower prices etc (which can't be a bad thing :rolleyes: ). maybe this time we'll have an ashton mod that rides well... :P or maybe some ashton/orange brand bits and bobs to pimp out our bikes (deng stylie)...

Heres an interesting quote from the man himself...

For any one who is interested, the evolution of the Ashton ET will be released later in 2006 as a complete bike. We are currently looking for a man/woman to sit on it (other than ET himself).

Martyn.

Oooh...

This was in february though so things may have changed.