Stuck In The Desert

duane

Hi, I am stuck out in the desert in Dubai and just like the other poster with a 'wobbly freewheel' mine is about to die. The difference is I am out in Dubai where there are no trials specific parts available and given the unique conditions I ride in - 50 degrees, 85% humiditiy and sand, dust and more sand, I don't want to spend 100+ quid on a hub that is not designed to cope with a constant onslaught of fine dust, sand and incredible heat. So what are my options, is there anything is the Shimano range that will work for at least 6 months ?

Or, for some reason ("the kids like them" - I asked) there seem to be a lot of dirt jump bikes for sale in flat sandy totaly jump free Dubai, will a dirt jump hub work for very long ?

Or lastly, would a BMX hub fit and would it be any good for trials - I dont really want to go this route, I need my gears to get around.

Thanks for any help,

Duane.

Hi, I am stuck out in the desert in Dubai and just like the other poster with a 'wobbly freewheel' mine is about to die. The difference is I am out in Dubai where there are no trials specific parts available and given the unique conditions I ride in - 50 degrees, 85% humiditiy and sand, dust and more sand, I don't want to spend 100+ quid on a hub that is not designed to cope with a constant onslaught of fine dust, sand and incredible heat. So what are my options, is there anything is the Shimano range that will work for at least 6 months ?

Or, for some reason ("the kids like them" - I asked) there seem to be a lot of dirt jump bikes for sale in flat sandy totaly jump free Dubai, will a dirt jump hub work for very long ?

Or lastly, would a BMX hub fit and would it be any good for trials - I dont really want to go this route, I need my gears to get around.

Thanks for any help,

Duane.

If its for a stock.. hope mono id say. Bog standard piss easy to service hub.

If you ride 26" as your profile suggests, then a BMX hub will be too narrow.

Dirt jump hubs aren't any different to hubs on other bikes, I'd be surprised if they had anything better than a bog-standard Shimano Deore or something.

To be honest I have no idea if there are any hubs that are good for sand, but like SpaceMunkee said, Hope Mono (Or XC if you want the disc mount) are nice hubs and you can service them yourself. Plus most of the parts are replaceable (If you can get hold of the parts in Dubai). They'll certainly last longer than a few Shimanos I'd imagine. Plus Shimano hubs are notorious for the ratchet mechanism destroying itself. Unless something has changed in the last few years in the world of Shimano hubs, I think you'll find that pretty much all Shimano hubs are the same. Maybe if you go XTR they'll have better sealing, but at that point you might as well just get a Hope and you won't lose your teeth.

In conclusion: Get a Hope XC or Mono (Y)

Hes in the desert, and his username almost spells dune... :) man i love irony

Anyway as someone posted above, if you can get hold of a hope XC they're damn good. And they're not trials specific either so they should be readily available (Y)

In all honesty though try not to be too much of a tight git and spend very little on a hub. I've found that its usally better to spend more money than have drivetrain skip and hurt yourself :(