Does Anyone Else Find This Odd/frustrating?!?

Davey

Does it strike anyone else as a little odd that 4-bolt magura mounts (presumably designed for stronger breaking) are manufactured with such crappy threads. They strip so easilly, especially with the bolts that magura supply which are barely long enough!!

I bought some longer bolts and have had to tighten them just enough to hold the breaks, but the slave units do twist in the mounts if forced a little.

I can't risk stripping the threads because that's my frame totalled.... am I wrong?

I'd appreciate other peoples thoughts on this, perhaps it's just me, lol!

xSTR8xEDGEx

I can't risk stripping the threads because that's my frame totalled.... am I wrong?

Wrong, if you strip the threads in your frame you can buy a helicoiling kit to sort it out, or pop down your local engineers and see if they can do it.

helicoiled threads are a hell of a lot stronger than just the tapped frame.

....its all through trials and error...

Class!

Anyway, you shouldn't not tighten the bolts just because the threads could strip in my opinion. As long as the bolt is in correctly, and the threads are clean, theres no reason to risk injury with the bolts not done up tightly. As long as you dont go crazy with them they should be fine.

Alun

I think they have gone down hill over time

My Crescent was built like it was made form diamonds, really nice.

Coust just slapped togther, along with an Onza i had and few other things. Nothing bar the Crescent got a stripped thread and with each new frame came new bolts which i greased.

No i drill em out and fit an M5 helicoil in there with threadlock 601 and greas the bolt still. never had anymore problems

I even think Halfords do it.

Wouldn't trust my halfords though. Went in one time to look at jump bikes.

Whilst looking at a Kona jump bike.

Ah, i see your looking for a trials bike.

I was like ok i'm leaving now. Would hate to think what they'd to if i asked them to helicoil my threads

well depending on how you screw them in, as my mate does he tightens one side up first then the other, which is silly, think about it, you screw in the bolt with it going in at an angle being raped with stress. there he then stripped the threads :P

No i drill em out and fit an M5 helicoil in there with threadlock 601

Can i ask why threadlock? As far as I know there is some sort of bonding process between the steel helicoil and the aluminium (catalysed through water? :S ) so the helicoil doesn't need securing further

Just what I've heard, could be compleltly wrong. Also wont the threadlock seep through the spring onto the bolt threads?

Cheers for the advice guys!!!

Looks like I'd better get my ass down to the local bike shop for some helicoiling then, although I still say manufacturers should make them strong enough to begin with, but at least I don't have to worry about totallying my frame!!

xSxEx

The tip is to DO IT GENTLY! Surely, you must realise that when you put a bolt into any thread, if its not going smoothly, STOP!

A good bolt and thread can be inserted with very little force. I honestly cant understand how you could manage to strip it. Get yourself a tap and die kit, you can pick up a crappy one for about 5 quid or so, and every few months just tap it out. It wont' remove any thread, but it'll renew slightly bend threads aswell as clear out any shit you may have lurking about in there and then blast it through with a airline.

Never put a f**ked bolt in a good thread, and vice versa.

The tip is to DO IT GENTLY! Surely, you must realise that when you put a bolt into any thread, if its not going smoothly, STOP!

A good bolt and thread can be inserted with very little force. I honestly cant understand how you could manage to strip it. Get yourself a tap and die kit, you can pick up a crappy one for about 5 quid or so, and every few months just tap it out. It wont' remove any thread, but it'll renew slightly bend threads aswell as clear out any shit you may have lurking about in there and then blast it through with a airline.

Never put a f**ked bolt in a good thread, and vice versa.

I'm not completely void of inteligence, it's not like they're grinding away and I keep on merrilly screwing them in or anything. The bolts go in smooth enough and everything is brand new so no f**ked bolts! I had the shorter magura bolts, the went in smooth and then bang, suddenly everything was very loose and there was half a thread wrapped around the end of me bolt. So I bought longer bolts and they seem to hold ok.

Perhaps I just have a dodgy frame, but I've seen a few comments on here about this so assumed I wasn't the only person having this trouble!!

xSxEx