Weight Saving!

Davey

I met a kid the other day, and he had really gone nuts on drilling out components on his bike, it was like swiss cheese! But got me thinking about saving weight, because you can spend all day spending ££££ on lighter parts and drilling bits out, but it's not just the bike you're hauling around.... it's you too!!!!

So, does anyone here watch what they eat to save weight? Is there a "Trials Diet"? Do you find yourself buying Aero's because they're full of bubbles?

Also, on a similar topic, does any one else take a large dump before goin out for a ride? I mean, that's gotta save a bit of weight right? ..... it's all relative!!!

xSxEx

Even if you become lighter a lighter bike will theoretically be an advantage. I think muscle is more of an

advantage than being lightweight yourself.

This is just sad i think making your bike less heavy yer but not you because there is really know point to it imo.

:huh:

drilling out my inner tubes was probably the best way of losing some weight

some people are silly on here :P

i havent even tried to save weight on my zoot yet(well not intentionally) and its sub 25lbs, i expect thatll change once i dump the front disc for a v and build a lighter front wheel :) need to get a slimmer rear tyre as well, 2.5 is overkill :P

i dont see the point in losing weight, why not just get fit? theres a few large riders on here who are fecking good *cough prawn and bigman*, it doesnt seem to hold them back

im all for keeping healthy, but losing weight to help you with trials? sod that :P

Well yeah, I kinda agree, but obviously there is a point to losing weight because we're all spending money to do it to our bikes, and lets face it it aint cheap and sometimes the weight saving is only very slight! Just wondered if a few sit ups each night might be cheaper than buying those pricey lightweight components or compromising strength by drilling great big holes in everything!!!

xSxEx

Become a kidney donor (Y) It saves lives and you lose weight :) Everyones a winner

haha good one :lol: but true

Personally i think i eat loadsss myself, i have around 3-4 bowls of cereal every morning and night normally, as well as all meals and alot of snacks.But i think it's down to metabolism (sp)....as i think i eat alot, but when i go on my bike, and do other sports it burns these calories i've taken in into fats and helps develop muscles :P .Some people can eat alot and stay fit,whereas others have different metabolisms meaning they have to eat more healthily etc.

I would never go on a diet, sod that, but if i find myself becomming a fattie, i would then consider watching what i eat (Y)

Well yeah, I kinda agree, but obviously there is a point to losing weight because we're all spending money to do it to our bikes, and lets face it it aint cheap and sometimes the weight saving is only very slight! Just wondered if a few sit ups each night might be cheaper than buying those pricey lightweight components or compromising strength by drilling great big holes in everything!!!

xSxEx

muscle weighs more than fat, so by toning up you will weigh more, not a problem though as you will have the extra strength to compensate :)

having a lighter bike doesnt make *that* much difference, i can ride my 32lb jump bike just as easily as my trials bike :)

Drilling all your parts is pants (N)

I'm nervous of doing this anyway, unless it comes drilled I figure leave it alone, if it was meant to be drilled they'd have made it that way!!! I know you can get away with it on things like front rims and maybe insides of crank arms, but it doesn't make a massive difference and if it goes wrong or you drill too much and the part fails then more than likely you're gonna break something else.... maybe your neck!!!

xSxEx

inside of crank arms!! rather you than me.

I like to have a light bike, it may not help much for street where you do a move then rest etc, but for comps where you are forever throwing the bike around without much stopping it really helps!

I havnt drilled much (rims only I think) but I have got light parts like titanium bb and axles, lighter innertubes and a few alloy bolts, not a lot, but it all adds up.

If your going to drill parts, make sure you try it on something old 1st because if you think its shit, just put the new one back on.

If it isnt drilled to start with, why bother trying to save 4 grams.

If you want lightness, tyres, frame, fork are the things you want light.

Don't go all out and buy Ti products either because it weighs more than Al, it just has better strength properties than Al that's all (Y)

12lbs sounds abit tooooo light ;)

Especially for a stock (if it was that is (Y) )

inside of crank arms!! rather you than me.

I like to have a light bike, it may not help much for street where you do a move then rest etc, but for comps where you are forever throwing the bike around without much stopping it really helps!

I havnt drilled much (rims only I think) but I have got light parts like titanium bb and axles, lighter innertubes and a few alloy bolts, not a lot, but it all adds up.

Exactly, it all adds up. What about clothing? I bet if you got all the metal you'd drilled out of your rims and a pair of jeans and weighed them the jeans would weigh many times more, guaranteed! So is it lycra all the way?!?!?

xSxEx