New Frame(leeson)

bob87

Ever since i saw Kris Leeson riding his bike at the Birmingham bike show, I've always wanted one.

I was just going to buy one of their standard build frames but now that i have read their website i'm intrested in getting a custom build.

Does anybody know if Clive Leeson would build me a frame with a 12mm through axel?

Your best bet as has been said is to phone up clive and ask him personally. He may not want to do it due to his 360 dropout design. But its worth a phonecall to see. Out of interest why exactly do you want a 12mm bolt through axle?

He may not want to do it due to his 360 dropout design. Out of interest why exactly do you want a 12mm bolt through axle?

Yes, the 360 dropout design is superb. Probably the most original design on a frame that i've seen.

Some of my friends ride downhill bikes with 12mm through axles on the rear.

They've said that the strength and stiffness you get from this is unheard of from a standard 10mm quick release hub.

I was going to get either a Hadey or a Chris King as both these companies have had these types of hubs tried and tested on the downhill circuit.

I'll still buy a Leeson frame, i was just trying to be inventive and original when it comes to getting a custom built frame.

He will make whatever you want pretty much, its a bespoke frame.

But dont email him, phone (Y)

I hope so, not much of the frame has to be changed to accomadate this type of axle.

The only pboblem i can see with building the frame is that it will be quite hard to work out the angle to run the chainstays at. The axle is actualy 15mm wider than a standard hub so there might be difficulty there.

I'll phone him anyway and see what he says.

Has anybody had this done to trials frame before?

12mm bolt through is on DH bikes mind mucka

How ever Cliver did do this on the Chris King HD axle on the 24'' thing he built for his son, he spoke to me lots about.

Does his son still use this frame? Were there any problems with the frame?

This is good news, maybe i might be able to get this built after all.

Are you in direct contact with Clive himself?

Don't some riders use Surly hubs with bolt through axles for trials, combined with free-wheels. Should be decent I would have thought if you're not wanting to remove your wheel very frequently. Not just the preserve of DH riders!

http://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/singlespeed_stuff.html

^ Hubs

Does his son still use this frame? Were there any problems with the frame?

This is good news, maybe i might be able to get this built after all.

Are you in direct contact with Clive himself?

Don't some riders use Surly hubs with bolt through axles for trials, combined with free-wheels.

http://www.brixtoncycles.co.uk/singlespeed_stuff.html

Checked the Surly single speed hubs out, not really the sort of thing I'm looking for though.

These are only suitable for standard dropouts(horizontal or vertical 1mm).

where as for the frame i want made i would need a hub that has a 12mm axle that slots through the frame and the hub at the same time(like 20mm through axle forks).

You can ask him and I'm sure he'd try and accomodate you. But I wouldn't recommend it. You're limiting your choice of hubs lots, and you'll have absolutely no resale value if you try and sell the frame. The 360 dropouts are kind of the same idea as through-axles. They're supposed to hold the wheel in place better, and they do very well. You don't need a stiffer rear axle at all.

But I wouldn't recommend it. You're limiting your choice of hubs lots, and you'll have absolutely no resale value if you try and sell the frame.

Not realy limiting my choices of hubs, there are tons of companys that make 12mm through hubs.

Gusset, Hadley, Chris King, Ringle, DT swiss, Atom Lab, Hope and Burgtec aswell as many others, so not limiting my choice, just expanding it.

As for selling the frame. If i actualy get this frame built for me theres no chance in hell i'll sell it because Leeson frames are a work of art.

If however i was to sell the frame i'd sell it as a frame kit including the hub and anything else needed to run this type of hub.

Think f**king logicly please. Think he ment a hub thats worthy of trials use.

Gusset, Hadley, Ringle, DT swiss, Atom Lab, Burgtec

^ they are 12mm bolt through 150mm spacing, not 135mm spacing so they a no go

Chris King

^ hd axle only and then it'll need boring out to 12mm

^ these haven;t been used for trials as they are no good for trials

Hope

^ Hope do a 12mm bolt through but i am unsure if you could get a 135mm spacing. i can ask for you but you had have to be a good customer to Hope a sin a shop basis to get it. Your personly wont be able too. Th

Whos the samrt ass no eh

how would you know hope on a shop basis?

maybe the 12mm bolt through is a benefit for dh, but for trials its just overkill. you dont need the stiff rear end because you dont have a swingarm and you arnt riding fast, turning quickley over rough ground.

just get regular spacing and axle size. noone else has problems.

Get a burgtec and be different, I and some others have been wondering for a while if they are any good for trials (Y)

Pete, Burgtec are available in 150/12mm, 135/12mm and 135/QR...

cba to look at what the others are available in...

Edited by adamtrials

Did someone say that hope dont do 135mm x 12mm? I might have misread..... but anyhow, ive got one here with me now, its a bulb, and hadley do them as well, ive run them before....

mike

Looks like Pete's just been mildly pwned 3 times...

Think f**king logicly please. Think he ment a hub thats worthy of trials use.

^ they are 12mm bolt through 150mm spacing, not 135mm spacing so they a no go

Whos the samrt ass no eh

I already said at the start of this post that i wanted the frame built around a 150mm wide hub not 135mm.

As for the hubs that i've named, these are all suitable trials hubs, nobody ever said it has to be a Hope hub.

Dont realy know why your complaining about me wanting to do something original with my frame choice, start thinking outside the box.

I'm going to be using this frame for street and saying using a 12mm through axel is overkill is a bit extreme, most 26 inch trials frames flex quite a lot at the rear end and usualy snap on the chainstays.

Not trying to say Leesons are week, i'm just trying to safeguard my frame and do something original.