Cones...

aener

Hey, I thought it was just a couple of off chances, but every time I ride, my rear cones come loose.

I had to do them up about every two rides, so I took it in to be serviced. (Popped my maggie open aswell so that needed fixing... (N) )

It came back yesterday, just been out riding, and the back wheel's wobbling all over the place! >_<

Any help please? I've gotta keep this hub alive for a fortnight or so.

Also, if you can link me up - or explain how to tighten the cones, much appriceated. I did know, but i've forgotten and am a bit unsure...

Cheers,

Flipp

get a cone spanner, hold the cone down, while you loosed the nut (17mm one) then do up the cone finger tight, then spin th axle a bit in your fingers, if it feels nice, then hold the cone down with the cone spanner, then do up the 17mm nut. (Y)

Just do them by hand, don;t over do them (like i did) 'casue they overtighten by themselves and lock up. try to get a sealed hub asap! (even something like the bog standard onza sealed one!)

There is the cone and the lock-nut. In order for the cones to stay put where you tighten them, you need to tighten the cone against the lock-nut. So basically tighten the cone finger tight, then tighten it just a little bit more (because it will come a bit looser when you tighten it together with the lock-nut). Now, while holding the cone, tighten down on the nut. When the nut and cone are touching, Tighten the lock-nut, and loosen the cone, so that they are tight together. This SHOULD stop the cone from coming loose. If it doesn't you can always use lock-tight, since you said you don't need this hub after a couple of weeks.

Edited by carnagr

you need 2 17mm spanners.basically there are two nuts on the axel(not the ones you tighten the wheel up with) hold one of the nuts with one spanner and tighten the other.not too tight though!otherwise yur wheell won't spin. (Y)