Computer/internet Buffs

Walleee

Ok folks, over 2 weeks ago I realised I had been getting reamed, seriously reamed, to a very fine tolerance.

£22.99 a month for 512k Broadband.

Upon realising the tiscali could offer me 4.5mb for £17.99 I proceded to call freeserve/wanadoo/orange for a MAC code. They asked why we were leaving, and I told them that I was unhappy with both the speed and price and would only stay if they could offer me what tiscali did.

I was told that this was do-able, and that I would recieve a new router and such in 7-10 days when my internet connection would also have been upgraded.

Called on friday to ask what the f**k was going on and was told that the order for the router hadn't gone through, however the speed should have increased. 'andrew scott' said that he was performing a quick test and said that the higher speed should be activated within 10 minutes of the call.

Still 512k here.

Im using a netgear dg834g wireless router at the moment which has been set up using the details I have allways used.

I was told that my connection detaisl would not change.....

Do I have to wait for the livebox to come through from orange before I can use the higher speeds? I allways imagined that as soon as my line had been activated the connection speed increased automatically without me having to make any adjustments.

I've rebooted the router, turned it off re-started the pc.

I'm at a loss here, anyone got any advice?

]

Also, during the second call I was told that there was no way even tiscali could offer me the 4.5mb, how the f**k did wise guy offer me it in the first instance? I've been told im now on 2mb.....

The speed of your internet depends on the cables in the ground - Bulldog offer up to 18MB broadband which I could try and purchase, but Ryde is only wired for 2MB at the moment. The dude on the phone automatically said he'd match Tiscali's offer to try and keep a customer without knowing what you're capable of receiving. What probably happened is someone along the line figured it out but they're too chickenshit to tell you. At least you got a speed increase though.

The things is, the speed hasn't increased, im still running at 512k but was under the impression that whatever the fella was diong on the phone would have increased my speed within an hour or so....

I know that it's all dependant on the line's but the tiscali web check said the max I could get here was 4.5MB, anyway, that's not really the issue....

Spode, am I right in assuming that the speed upgrade should have happened automatically?

Prehaps its cos I called on friday, does it have to be done physically at the exchange or can it be done using computers?

the only thing you would need to do if you line has been upgraded is to go into the router firmware and disconnect the connection wait a minute and re-connect, no fireware upgrade for your netgear router will make a difference as all the fireware upgrades for that model actually affect to connection settings. i would login into your router check the speed you have connected at, then disconnect wait a minute reconnect and if that down stream speed hasn't grown then ring them up and cancel your account with them as the price you are paying and speeds your are recieving are terrible!

if your need any help with your router add me on msn = stav_13@hotmail.co.uk

Stav

With big companies you'll go back and forth before any dipshit sorts the problem out.

Get on the phone, cancel it and go with someone else - i've found through experience they can take ages to sort problems and it's sometimes quicker to just move company.

o2 took 5 phone calls and 3 days to reconnect my phone after paying my bill late. Surely once I pay the bars should be removed? not so.

Every time I got - "thank you sir, turn off your phone and wait 1 hour then turn it on and full service will resume"

5 calls over 3 days to the premium rate number and I get my phone back on.

I'd just switch mate.

The thing is though, that then i'd have to send the livebox back to them, no doubt at my expense.

I'll leave it for a few days I guess and see if the livebox itself makes any differance, my router status page still says it's at 576kbps.

Really, what I want to know is if the speed increase can normally be done in a matter of minute's, or wether it takes a technician to physically go to the exchange, and upgrade my speed.

If it's the first of the two, and my router should automatically work with the speed increase, im f**ked off.

Really, what I want to know is if the speed increase can normally be done in a matter of minute's, or wether it takes a technician to physically go to the exchange, and upgrade my speed.

If it's the first of the two, and my router should automatically work with the speed increase, im f**ked off.

I believe it's the first, although I guess they might do them in batches - so when you phone up they put you on a list to get the line upgraded by a different person (a technician or whatever). So technically it could take no time at all, but realistically it might take a while.

Just phoned them as I was getting f**ked off. Im told it should be completed by the 28th, which is friday, if not i'll just leave.

BT were supposed to be given some sort of code, which orange hadn't given them :rolleyes:

They're on their last chance for this round.

Edited by jake1516

i was connection at 64kbs on a 8mb line they hadto go to the exchange and sort it out but with your situation i would doubt they would need to go there, they would just up your bandwidth via computer at the exchange.

Stav

Yeh, that's kinda the impression I got. Orange can't do it directly themselves, they put the request in, and then BT do it on their behalf.

The problem being that in the first instance, about 3 weeks ago, the guy obviously did f**k all, as the regrade request was only submitted on the 21st, when I called for a second time.

It can be just as much hassle to switch. I've switched from Bulldog and they are STILL trying to bill me...

Bulldog are still trying to bill me for a house i havent lived in in over 14 months.

As for service providers go with Telewest if its available in your area and totally cut out bt's nonsence.

Bulldog are still trying to bill me for a house i havent lived in in over 14 months.

As for service providers go with Telewest if its available in your area and totally cut out bt's nonsence.

Oh, I'm just telling half the story. I've been billed for other people, other phone numbers, contracts I never had. The list goes on. It angers me so much I don't want to even remember the full details.

But I spent on several occasions in a queue for an HOUR waiting for customer service. Yet you can get straight though to sales every time.

I'm glad they've pulled out of the retail segment, but I wish they'd compensate me.