Noisy Brakes

Thom

I recently just put some heatsink reds on the front V for my bike and performance has been excellent but it makes a heck of a noise. I've got a really worn out grind on the front and I used to use koolstops which made no noise what so ever besides the shhh sound. The heatsink whites (which are the same as the red) I'm using at the back make no noise either, although I don't have a grind on the rear. Is there any way to eliminate this sound as its starting to annoy me? Any help would be great. Thanks.

make sure that a) your pads hit the rim at a parallel and are not 'toe'd in' and B ) that your brake pivot bolts are tight- any play in the brake will promote squuekyness through vibration and c) your not gay, brake noise is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat (Y)

Edited by MrSuave

Grease the v-brake posts up a bit. There'll be a bit of play there, and with grippier pads it's going to jar it more when you brake, so it'll generate more vibration = more noise, so get some thick grease on the go. Should make it even smoother too ;)

Wait about 3 weeks until plenty of ali dust from your rim has accumulated.

'course your brake will be poo then.

Seriously, find any loose/wobbly bits and pieces in and around the arms and tighten up/grease/use cable ties creatively to get rid of it all, should then be pretty silent.

Not sure why you want it like that though. My heatsinks always seem to be at their best when they're obnoxiously loud.

EDIT: oh and incidentally, tightening up the canti bolts does NOT make your brake any better. It eliminates any play, granted, but a little play is actually BETTER for the brake. One of the reasons that maggies are so good is that there is a bit of play in the pad assembly, which means that it always hits the rim square, even if the brake is just slightly misaligned. Same goes for Vs; allow a small amount of play and the pads will always be square onto the rim when most of the power is applied (as long as your pads aren't MILES out of line).

Edited by Jez

Learn to live with it. I have crms, and there squeek lets me no there still there and working!@

thats cos you run a ceramic rim ;) and you have spanish flies not crms (crms are the magura version anyway, you mean crvs :P )

blah blah

yeah, that generally keeps the noise down :) try that

One of the reasons that maggies are so good is that there is a bit of play in the pad assembly, which means that it always hits the rim square, even if the brake is just slightly misaligned. Same goes for Vs; allow a small amount of play and the pads will always be square onto the rim when most of the power is applied (as long as your pads aren't MILES out of line).

my ultimate doesnt have any play.........they still pish over any other v brake? i can see what you mean though, however, just setting up the pads properly is enough

anyway, ive always found front rim brakes to be noisy, dunno why, whatever i've had has done it, including my old magura and front ultimate i used to run

my ultimate doesnt have any play.........they still pish over any other v brake? i can see what you mean though, however, just setting up the pads properly is enough

mine does :rolleyes:

anyone I found mine front red heatsinks to be very loud and very grabby (also a mate ran them on the front for while, with the same result) and basically I took them off because I didn't like them.

Wait about 3 weeks until plenty of ali dust from your rim has accumulated.

'course your brake will be poo then.

Seriously, find any loose/wobbly bits and pieces in and around the arms and tighten up/grease/use cable ties creatively to get rid of it all, should then be pretty silent.

Not sure why you want it like that though. My heatsinks always seem to be at their best when they're obnoxiously loud.

EDIT: oh and incidentally, tightening up the canti bolts does NOT make your brake any better. It eliminates any play, granted, but a little play is actually BETTER for the brake. One of the reasons that maggies are so good is that there is a bit of play in the pad assembly, which means that it always hits the rim square, even if the brake is just slightly misaligned. Same goes for Vs; allow a small amount of play and the pads will always be square onto the rim when most of the power is applied (as long as your pads aren't MILES out of line).

im sorry im going to have to completely dissagree with you here on the whole "play will make your brakes better"

Maguras would be so much better if they DIDN'T have any play in them! Any movement/play (other than the pistons or arms pushing the pads towards that rim) in your brakes is inneficient! and makes your brakes less powerful AND noisy! Which is why IMO Ultimate brakes = the best brakes ever when setup well, they have no play in them and i run my pads with no spacers in them so 1. the arms dont sick out as much. 2. it makes the brake even more solid!

Maguras a good when setup well but are generally f**king noisy which doesnt mean "ooo my brake is noisy, its working well!" It means "im making noise because im inneficient and magura cant be f**ked improving my design"

thanks for the replies....would using a smooth rim make a difference ?

A smooth rim would be even louder! Unfortunately your not really gonna be able to get rid of noise while using a polyurethane type of pad, unless you run a super harsh grind... which in turn will wear your pads down to the backing in a few minutes... If you had forks that have the canti posts on the other side of the fork (point towards your frame) i think it would be a lot quieter because the canti posts would want to flex outwards as much...

Are you running a good booster?

Peace

im sorry im going to have to completely dissagree with you here on the whole "play will make your brakes better"

Maguras would be so much better if they DIDN'T have any play in them! Any movement/play (other than the pistons or arms pushing the pads towards that rim) in your brakes is inneficient! and makes your brakes less powerful AND noisy! Which is why IMO Ultimate brakes = the best brakes ever when setup well, they have no play in them and i run my pads with no spacers in them so 1. the arms dont sick out as much. 2. it makes the brake even more solid!

Maguras a good when setup well but are generally f**king noisy which doesnt mean "ooo my brake is noisy, its working well!" It means "im making noise because im inneficient and magura cant be f**ked improving my design"

By the time enough power has been applied to the pad to bring the pad fully into contact with the rim, any 'inefficency' becomes negligible (unless the play in the pad is along the axis of the pad's thread). The power is still being transmitted through the pad just as well - better, in fact because instead of your pad being a gnat's bollock out of alignment (because everything in the brake is tight as fook), it's hitting squarely, hence more pad material in contact with the rim = faster deceleration.

Yes, you will lose some energy through the sound that it makes, but that's the whole point of braking - to lose kinetic energy. The more ways you can get rid of that energy (i.e. convert it into other forms, as you remember from Physics class, you can't DESTROY energy, only convert it), the better for braking.

The brake might not *feel* as solid - there will be a tiny bit of backwards/forwards play (the canti arms wobbling in the case of V's, but probably nothing noticeable on Maggies), but the actual stopping power of the brake will be higher.

My brakes certainly improved since I loosened the canti bolts a lil' bit. Not massively, but noticeably.

I'd like to hear the theory behind why a noisy brake is inefficient...please enlighten me.

Ok people we have gone off the subject now ok , I hope this helps you but u could sand your front rim down and try and make it purfectly smoth by changing grades of snadpaper until it looks brandnew.Or i found that a brake booster reduces noise i hope this helped.

Right guys maggies or v's will allways egist if you like maggies just use them and dont bitch about it if u like v's run them you cant point out the good point of a brake and expect a revolution , sure both types of brakes have menny faults and i ahve feelings for both brakes.

BOTH CAN BE GOOD ! BOTH CAN BE POO ! BUT LETS ALL LIVE IN HARMONY (EXCEPT FOR DISK BANDITS :lol: ) .