New Frame- Zona Zip?

iAiN

hi, ive got an onza t-bird at the moment but am looking for a new frame soon when i get money. been thinking of the zona zip because it is cheaper than the python, does anyone know the geometry because i havent found anywhere which tells me yet?

Ko bikes KM1 is Good (Y)(Y)

its got the best geo on it :D

only 270quid (Y)

that does look a really nice bike but the reason why i was looking at the zona is because the python is probably going to be a bit expensive. it is tempting though

im not 100% either as i havent had many dealings with tbirds.. if i was you i would make a new topic with the heading 'Transfering tbird kit to zona? Will it work?' and im sure you will get an answer.. and try and post things like the BB size if you know them.. the things that might not fit is the BB and maybe headset or the forks might be to short.. but they will most probably know.. Squince seems to know everything about zonas so point it at him lol :P

You might need new cranks, front freewheel compatible since the chainline needs to be a bit lower to not his the stays (i think :S ) that was what happened when i went from t bird to a zoo pyhton, there efectively the same and maybe the headset? not sure though.

everything will be apart from the headset i think also if you have a 20" rear wheel then you will need a 19" one. (Y)

I don't know why everyone keeps saying this... I built up my T-Pro buying bits individually for it, and I started off with a cheapo back wheel 'cause I had no money. The idea was to save up for a 19" later on - whilst using the 20" untill I had enough money.

All you need is a half-link.

I ran an old 20" rim in my T-Pro (you supposedly NEED a 19" in the frame) with a half-link in the chain for about a month!

I never even noticed a hitch... So long as the rim is wide enough for the brake pads to reach it that is :P

eBay - cheap as chips ^_^

A half link is like, the fat part of a chain, and the thin part, jammed into half the space. It adds 1/4" to the active chain length (1/2" in total chain length, but you've got half of that on top, half on the bottom), and I found that was PERFECT running 22:18t.

Each tooth on a sprocket/freewheel adds 1/8" to the total chain length needed.

Some of the time, you'll find that a whole link extra is far too long, and a whole link under, makes it a bit too short, for the rim to line up with the brake pads - the half link will solve this.

If the chain is just too long, take one link out, and put the half link in it's place. If it's just too short, just add the half link as you would a normal link.

The half link makes the chain just long enough for the rim to be pushed back enough for the brake walls to be in line properly.

Bear in mind, the half link on the eBay site I put up is only for 1/8" chains - not 3/32"

I know it's slightly off topic but I thought I'd just let people know ^_^

Flipp

P.S. Should I make a topic out of this so people can search on it?

Edited by Flipp

Slightly random use of bold? :P

You can get by with a 20" wheel, but 19" wheels are stronger, have more dedicated, strong trials rims available, and have better tyres. They really are a better option, so it'd probably be better to just save the money and get a 19" rear wheel? Edit: Just realised that's basically what you said. My bad. Probably as well to bear in mind that running the 20" wheel with the half-link will make the bike ride a lot differently to if you had a 19" rear wheel, so don't be surprised if you don't have the same sorta awesome riding experience other people with 19" rear wheels in the same frame would have.

If you're rockin' a T-Bird you'll need to at least change the cranks over 'cos the 22:18 ratio that they have as standard (or used to unless they've been upgraded to front freewheel now) won't fly with the CNC'd sideplates of the Zip, but also a headset 'cos Onza frames use an internal headset and the Zona has a regular headtube.

The geometry is 365mm stays, +55mm BB and 1030-1040mm wheelbase, so it's basically what the '07 Python's going to be, pretty much. It's a dialled frame though, really nice to ride!

Slightly random use of bold? :P

Edit: Just realised that's basically what you said. My bad. Probably as well to bear in mind that running the 20" wheel with the half-link will make the bike ride a lot differently to if you had a 19" rear wheel, so don't be surprised if you don't have the same sorta awesome riding experience other people with 19" rear wheels in the same frame would have.

The bold is used on the important words in the post, so the lazy people (like I would) can just read the bold words and know what it's about :-Flashy aren't I ^_^lol

I've got a 19" rim now - have done for a few weeks, and I didn't notice that much of a difference? Maybe I've not been riding long enough to notice the subtle differences, but I do seem to adapt to different bikes very quickly - so maybe that's it :P

Flipp

(P.S. Question still stands: should I make a topic from that post so people can search it? Or is there already one?)