Some Newbie Questions

trials_noob

First of all, I put some Zoo pads on my rear magura on a smooth clean rim and they really don't have the bite and hold i was told they have. There is still a lot of black dust coming from the pads as if they haven't worn enough yet and still bedding in? Is there anything i can do to fix it or will it just take time? I have put water on them and dragged them quite a few times.

And the next question is about pedal kicking up to the rear wheel. I was just wondering if you guys hold the back brake lean back, then let it off and kick then brake again once your up? I tried without holding back brake intially and can't do it. It doesn't say on trashzen so was just unsure.

And also is there anything i'm doing wrong to get sore hands when hopping on the backwheel?

If i'm getting sore hands, not blisters, just like muscularly sore if you get me, when i'm riding should i try and get fatter grips or thinner ones? I'm going to go for foam ones, from halfords, which i found when searching.

Thanks

To be honest i think it will just take time for the pads, They are good brakes, definitely worth it, what i did after i cleaned my Alex rims i rode for a while with the brakes slightly on so the rubbed while i was riding. Dunno if itll help.

Dont really know about pedal kicking :-

and as for grips, fatter ones will give you more grip, but thinner ones wont make your hands as sore :D

I personally think trying some inbetween are quite good :turned:

The foam Halfords grips were really, really shit for me. They just felt like they were moving all the time 'cos the foam was so soft. Not ideal.

It could be just that you're running thicker grips, so maybe trying something thin like the Brahma grips from Supercycles would be an idea. £5 for 2 pairs is pretty nice, as is the width - nice and thin :) Could just try tweaking the bar angle. Having said all that, if you're a "trials n00b", it could just be your body's using muscles it previously hasn't, so it's just straining to deal with the new loads you're asking of it.

EDIT: Just seen Grizzly's post - could argue thinner grips give more grip 'cos you're able to wrap your hands around more? If someone's trying to pull your fingers open, they'll find it harder if your hand's nearer a fist shape (with the fingers tight in) rather than with your fingers further out (like if you're running thick grips :))?

About the Zoo pads - everyone uses tar with them on a smooth rim, which would probably explain the lack of hold. If they're giving off some black crap though, clean your rim thoroughly and maybe rub the pads on a rough brick wall to take the top waxy glaze off. Should do the trick :) Getting a little bit of tar on the go would probably be the best bet though.

to learn to kickhop...

Kick>hop>brake, simply half kick on your strong foot then hop when the bikes at the correct again and then brake on landing, or to start with just to get the balance point or used to it kick>brake>kick brake so its like a wheelie but controlled using half kicks and braking...

Once you have learnt the kickhop you will more than likely need to practice the accuracy of it.. so i suggest aiming for a mark on the floor or placing a coin on the floor (Y)

And the pads should bed in if not you may want to reset them up to make sure they are hitting the rim flat, or clean your rim with a toothbrush and soapy warm water?

Jeza

In-case i am rushing my learning, how comfortable on the backwheel should you be before leanring pedal kicks?

And when getting up to back wheel from ground, do you guys hold the rear brake, just until front wheel comes up then kick? That's what i do and it seems to work!

That would work because its creating more tension on the chain to make the bike rise, but i or most probably hold the front if anything or nothing and use your weight, its hard to describe because most of us do it without thinking now, try and talk to some people that are newer to trials.

When i'm about to get on the bqack whel i let go of both brakes, and use a small pedal stroke motion at the same time as pulling up on the bars, then pull the rear brake on when you get into the pedal hop position. For a point of reference you should try to focus on doing it in a smooth action rather than stamping on the peddles... try doing it slowly, but controlled and you will find it much easier to learn.

Then proceed to peddle-hop as normal.

I think what a lot of people are failing to mention is that you sort of preload the pedals with a brake (for me it's usually front) on, then pull up and kick at the same time, when yer pedals get level (or what feels like level, anyway) then you hop. Same goes when you're already on the back wheel, except it's back brake obviously.

Not entirely sure what I do with my weight to be honest, it's automatic now. I *think* I lean back a little bit (but not a lot really, just enough to get the front off the floor), then quickly push into the bike to make the back wheel move to where the front was.

After a while you'll stop needing the brake and just be able to kick from a slow roll or from a no-brake trackstand or whatever. Or even from a fakie, without touching the brakes at all - in which instance you sort of get used to using your pedals as a brake. Hard to explain.

I'm sure everyone does it slightly differently. I've seen videos of guys on high BB bikes who pull up more than back or forward to get onto the back wheel, and similarly I've seen videos of people who lean right off the back and pretty much stay there, using the weight shift more than the pedal kick to get the front wheel up.

Whatever's easiest for you i think...

(the disclaimer in my sig applies here)

First of all, I put some Zoo pads on my rear magura on a smooth clean rim and they really don't have the bite and hold i was told they have. There is still a lot of black dust coming from the pads as if they haven't worn enough yet and still bedding in?

If your rim is anodized, that's probably what's coming off. After all rims are not hard anodized (or whatever this process is called in English) so the coat will gradually come off. I am currently running a new smooth rim with Zoo pads, and they were quite alright the first few hours I used them. However, as OBM says, you should use tar or other stuff. If on a clean rim, all will be well until water gets on the pads. A kind of grayish goo settles on the rim giving no brake power at all - and I mean it, it doesn't even slow you down! I guess you need to remove the anodized coat if you don't want that to happen. Instead of tar, I use rosin mixed with alcohol and it's great. Spreading it takes just about 1 second and the power is comparable to a grind. It also works when it's wet.

Edited by Inur

I think what a lot of people are failing to mention is that you sort of preload the pedals with a brake (for me it's usually front) on, then pull up and kick at the same time, when yer pedals get level (or what feels like level, anyway) then you hop. Same goes when you're already on the back wheel, except it's back brake obviously.

Yeah... what he said! And..... I come to a rolling stop using my front brake, weight goes over the front a little, then I kinda lean back a bit (move weight to the rear etc), stomp on pedal to a standing position (pedals kinda level), then jam on the rear. God it is hard to explain..... Wow, I must have progressed then?

I use CRM's on a smooth rim and my brakes where pretty sharp, but after 30min the pads got a little dirty and lost their amazing power. Added a `little` bit of tar and oh my god! :o Killer brake all the time!

I'm sure this would be the same for Zoo's?