Editing

aener

Right, I KNOW it's know trials, I KNOW this is a trials forum.

Now that's settled, I figured I want to start making videos, but I have no trials footage.

I, however, did have a bit of skating footage of me and my friend Luke.

Anywho... This is just an experiment to see what you lot reckon of my first attempt.

It's done in Windows Movie Maker - which apparently you lot hate - lol. But it's all I've got.

Sorry if you don't like the music, but I do - It's The Endless Feed, by Dark Tranquillity.

I intend using it in my first trials movie so please don't steal it :P

Between 20 and 31 seconds, I just had to put some duff clips because I don't have that much to play with :angry:

Eengoedidee link

As I say, it's my first attempt ever at video editting, so try not to completely crush me if you think it's pants please :lol:

It's supposed to follow the rhythm of the music with the landings (also my idea for trials vid... don't steal please... :P ) after the weird noise bit... it's close, a couple bits are slightly out though.

Is it any good?

Tips on improvements if not please...

Cheers

Flipp

(P.S. - I'm the one with long hair - there's not much footage of me :P )

Edited by Flipp

It's hard to judge really. Mainly becuase you haven't actually made an actual video. You made a little test vid. That's why (i asume) the ending just cuts off.

It's quite impossible to give any constructive comments untill you've actually produced a full video. The few second clip isn't really enough. You obviously got to grips with WMM. Adpobe premier (i think that's what it's called) would be worth a look, it gives you a lot more contol over the editting and make WMM look like paint does to photoshop.

So i'd suggest making a full vid, then you'll get much more acurate advice. (Y)

Edited by JT!

Who's Waynio? (not been here all that long if he's famous)

The bold words, I just put in as an afterthought. It's the words that are like, more important, so you could just read those words and you'd get the idea of the whole post - it's for the lazy people :P

(ie, me)

I swear i saw some video editing software in WHASmiths for £40 :S

Not sure what it was though but came with a firewire card etc

That'd more than likely be pinncale studio, absolutely shocking software... crashes all the time and the majority of the effects were locked until you bought them seperately.

if you want to buy adobe premiere your looking at £700ish depending where you get it but dabs is generally pretty cheap (but check kelkoo).

adobe premiere

but if you wanna spend a lot of money its probably worth getting adobe production studio as it has photoshop CS, After Effects which is pretty useful and some other software, but does come in at just under 1K

adobe production studio

KNOW KNOW VIDEOS SKATING EXPERIMENT FIRST MUSIC IT'S THE ENDLESS FEED DARK TRANQUILLITY.

Ohh well, I understand its a video, a skateboard or skate video. First music?

Ok, sorry - I missed "video" out.

The "KNOW"s should have been in italics, got it the wrong way 'round.

Should have read:

"VIDEOS - SKATING - EXPERIMENT - FIRST VIDEO - MUSIC, THE ENDLESS FEED, DARK TRANQUILLITY"

My mistake.

And no, I don't have that much money for Adobe Premiere.

I'll stick with WMM.

Flipp

Firstly didn't like the music so that put me off but not to say it was a bad video.

When filming try to keep the camera still cheap solution rest it on a wall or something similar or buy a tri pod get a half decent one off www.7dayshop.co.uk for around 15 quid.

The editing was alright to say you used wmm which is all i have to use cause my pc is rubbish. So i no how hard it is to get good results with.

I liked the switch from black and white to full coulor. What i also like was the the fact you didn't use any of the gash transitions in wmm just try to keep it simple with staight cuts or fades.

Just keep trying different things be creative.

Thanks joe

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h83/jimy...onforumedit.flv

^^

that was made in wmm

Thanks Joe

However, I did say "old skating footage" :P . I thought that would have implied the whole crappy-quality-shaky-hands-all-in-all-not-very-goodness... lol

I'm going out in a couple of weeks with a friend who's got a good camera and a tripod, so I'll have a PROPER vid soon enough hopefully...

Flipp

Suppose it wasn't a bad attempt for a first go. I have seen many worse videos, usually down to over editing though.

I'm not sure which way round you edited it, by this i mean fit the footage to the music or music to the footage. I always find i get a better result if i get the footage i want together, and them put them all in the story board (in the order of which you want them), then drag a few songs you think might work, and put them in the story board and watch the video with each song one by one, then pick the song that you think fits your video the best. After i have done this, i start to trim bits of the clips that i don't want, so the footage fits the rhythm of the music much better. It might seem a little back to front, but i got the best results from fiddling around with premiere pro doing this.

I would say for the music, don't always go with your favourite band or song of the moment just because you like it, as the chances are it either won't fit the video or others won't like the song. Try and find more songs that you wouldn't usually listen to or are a bit different, and see how it turns out. And when you are searching for a song try and get one that suits the mood of the video. So for example if it's a video filmed in the night then something more melodic might work, or if it's a nice sunny day more of a feel good song might work, and if there is a lot of slow motion in it then try one with a slower tempo.

By saying this i'm not having a dig by no means, i'm just trying to tell you what works best for me when i edit things. (Y)

Thanks Joe

However, I did say "old skating footage" :P . I thought that would have implied the whole crappy-quality-shaky-hands-all-in-all-not-very-goodness... lol

I'm going out in a couple of weeks with a friend who's got a good camera and a tripod, so I'll have a PROPER vid soon enough hopefully...

Flipp

I get you man (Y)

Ok vid. :)

Well download LIMEWIRE - free from www.limewire.com then go to www.adobe.co.uk or .com and download the trial version then.. when asked if u have a serial number and or activation code search on lime wire for

eg - adobe premiaire serial codes and download them and try a few out..

works 99.9% of the time and beats paying £400 which is the price for it if u do it "proply"

ryan (Y)