Mbuk

Ash-Kennard

I first picked up MBUK because it was the only mag with trials in. That issue had a group a lads being taught by martyn ashtona couple of hints and I remember "blimey, if I get a bit better maybe mbuk will come and visit us!" the photo comps as well, i remember having numerous photos which could have beaten some of the ones that one, yet where was the entry address? e-mail address? I didn't even get feedback to see if it had been posted to the correct address.

When you look at how big DH + XC is in MBUK compared to trials then you start to realise that they just don't want trials in it anymore. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I don't recall koxx days having a couple of pages to itself (maybe i neglected to purchase that issue) but surely thats a big thing?

I always thought that Martyn's column is just his thoughts, usually relating to trials :P although he is a god, he doesn't tell you what to do, so theres no need to take him word for word.

I don't think MBUK is going downhill as such, its just pushing trials further and further out of the mag.....towards the back lol

the good thing about that partz is you pick the mag up and know exactly where to go ;) iv done it a few times, then after reading hip hop browse through the rest of the mag looking at the other bits in. including XC,DH,Freeride. owt it makes for good reading.

Waynio.......................

Looked through it earlier and i don't see why people are moaning so much at Martyn. It's his opinion, from reading what people said, i thought he'd be having a full on tantrum about them, but he's not. He even accepts the fact that they are needed for comps.

And personally i agree with what he says about the whole chav trials. If you don't like it just ignore it. If your comfortable with wearing these clothes then it shouldn't bother you that much.

Image means a lot when it comes to pictures. So the trackies and boots may be linked with the lack of pictures in mbuk. Look at bmx'ers, they have a 'cool' image with their skate shoes, jeans and tee's. People like to see theses pictures, whereas i'm sure they didn't like the whole lycra ordeal and expect they don't agree with the chav image. Especially seeing how people view chavs these days.

Also notice it isn't called hip-hop any more. Give it a year and trials will be out of MBUK. You mark my words. :P

the good thing about that partz is you pick the mag up and know exactly where to go ;)

haha true. Then again is that a good thing or a bad thing? cos if you can't find the page you're looking for and on the next double spread you see Nathan rennie's massive gap you might be slightly tempted to read :o

EDIT: Ill edit that last bit actually....might be a bit rude :$

Edited by PaRtZ

theres alot of talk about how there used to be 25% trials in MBUK, but the point is there isn't anymore even though the sport has exploded suddenly. MBUK should get in touch with a photogarapher and get them sent out to one of the big rides organised on the forum. i'm sure it would make for good interesting reading.

and MBUK got me into the sport, hell i've got photos me with ashton and hawzie form the bikeshow years ago :D

hope they do make a bit more effort into getting trials back into the MBUK spotlight :turned:

Edited by trialsking 55

I think that mbuk is awsome and id like to take this opportunity to thank, Ashton, Hawzee and all the guys at mbuk. like it says on the cover its britains best selling bike magazine so the fact that trials is even in there is someting to be proud of! I dont think people realise how busy mart is, what with demos pretty much every day of the week, he still manages to write articles and put the trials stuff together for the mag. so much respect to you mart! Ive done a few shoots now and all the lads and ladesses at mbuk are te nicest people, so welcomeing and professional. I think all you guys slateing the mag should take a look back and realise wat they have all done for trials. many thanks again!

Chris Doney

peter haydon i was going to say that about top gear!!!!! its a perfect example, look where it got the young lad. in hospital BUT the poeple or personalities in the program defy everything and anything that we as the public can do, just like the pro's from the mag. they get to do things that if we asked to do would have no chance!!!!

the problem is, if people arent buying MBUK like alot of people on here saying:

"the magazine is shit and i dont buy it cos of that"

then why would that person buy a trials specific mag? they may say "yes" initially but thats just saying it, doing it is a different matter. im more getting to the people that say they would love a trials specific mag and then not buying it. trials could NEVER fill a 50 odd page mag. you would run out of news or things to put in, i know how hard it is to find news for Hip Hop sometimes!!!!

Kenny you know i love you!!!! and you missed go karting sat ;) it was the nutts!!!

Tomm your 4 points are good (Y) in the past i have been out and dressed like most others for comfort of riding, but now i go out, and i could physically turn into weatherspoons after for a few beers. i took the advise off probably 2/3 people that have helped me get into trials and all 3 really have had alot to do with getting the sport where it is today (Ashton, Hawzee, Akrigg)

the idea in life is to learn from mistakes, you can also make it "learn from the more respected and the more knowledgable"

i sometimes have the urge to ask my boss who is an EX PRO road racer, questions about "how to be better?" "what i can do to improve?" even though he raced a differenct disipline you have to have the right attitude, a good personality and get along with people.

Waynio.................................

LMFAO! chris nailed you so much for you dressage when ridingage HAHAHAHAHA in his normal jokey *im being f**king serious* way LMAO!

I'd like to see more on competitions (not the british championship)

I agree, but you need people writing reports, taking photos and you need space to print it. All three things are at a premium.

Given the limitless size of the Internet, how come people don't post reports on here along with the results?

I agree, but you need people writing reports, taking photos and you need space to print it. All three things are at a premium.

Given the limitless size of the Internet, how come people don't post reports on here along with the results?

Maybe room for another section of the TF, moderated like the news, but only about covering comps (taking and encouraging inputs from all the people who turn out to comps, even as spectators)

Though, that'd have to be an inter-forum thing, talking to other forum moderators from spain, japan, france, germany, czech republic etc... an interesting concept, sharing ressources...

Edited by TrashZen

i dont think mbuk is a great magazine on a whole, the main reason i have a sub to dirt is because i prefer the articles and photography/layout, but what mbuk does is with each of its small articles and photos is bring trials to an audience which wouldnt normally ride trials, it makes it accessable. i like what mbuk are doing, yes they have a smaller section now, less articles, but whats in the hiphop section is a lot more detailed and informative. i mean look at the old hiphop section, it was tiny. (Y) to em

craig