Poor Hope Pro 2 Hub

Tall_Rob

Chances are it was just the tension caused between the drive force placed on the ratchet ring, and the spokes that were transfering most of that force to the rim, stressing the hub body. Due to this drive force the spokes pulling the other way would not have been under tension, meaning that it wasn't ripped apart by the spokes tension from the build, but by the drive force through the spokes.

Seems fairly reasonable doesn't it? Half the spokes will be under more tension and half will be under less tension. So (a theory) if the wheel is tighter to start with would the tension difference be less when you kick as you'd have to kick harder on a tightly built wheel to get the same tension difference. Am I right or is it too early? :ermm:

And to qualify my earlier statement, I've build dozens of hope hubs (and others) into wheels some of which may have been a little on the tight side for some people's liking....but....none of which have ever had the hub split down the middle. I know...famous last words.

Anyway, I'm with Tim and prefer my wheels to be tight. Although, I'll admit there is probably an optimum tension to build wheels to - we just don't know what it is yet.

As for Pro 2s, I love mine.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie_Neal

have to say that these debates about hope pro2ts get blown out of all proportion!!

ash has put his arguement across in a rather odd way but what he says is correct. over tightened spokes are being blamed by the designer of the pro 2t. think about it, if everything is as tight as it can be then something has to give. its an art to building a wheel well, thats why i never attempt to build my trials wheels, i can make a good stab at my XC builds but only trust a few select wheel builders for my trials wheels.

i've used a pro2 since before pretty much anyone here, i have smashed the same bearing as ali c (doing tyre taps and dropping into fakie), and the ratchet wore away on one of the lighterweight ptototypes i had.

onzaboymark, the bearings are being developed to move away from the standard bearing to something better, more suitable, but again i cant say any more and hope will only release when ready.

ok its a pain breaking stuff, but hope will replace you hub no doubt, just dont start saying they are ultimately the worst product you ever bought. as for hope in this case, they have branched out from XC/DH to trials, their first attempt, surely every company only refines things over time from their first venture (eg MS windows always has bugs that then get rectified as these things come to light) now hooe know of all problems, they are working to change things

everyone just get down of their high horses and accept things break, problems occur, and companies will do all they can to get something sorted for you and future customers. if you have a problem discuss with the company in question (via phone of email), numerous supercycles threads spring to mind, dont simply come on here and shout off, it helps no one.

then again a forum is meant for debate and we live in a democracy where free speech is protected, you would be shot for slaggin off companies in north korea

Ermm...

Seems to me 99% of the posts on here are opinion not fact.

Yes it is Hopes fault and I'd bet my last penny that they'd admit that no questions asked.

The people writing 'I know that such and such is stonger than whatever' is utter bollocks, how can you possibly KNOW that? Say if you've snapped 1 Hope but your King survived, doesnt mean to say the Hope is weaker...theres a million factors that could alter this.

Lastly, I've heard of only a FEW hope hubs cracking, these are a FEW of the god knows how many sold and still going stong today?

We all knwo they SHOULD survive, but at least Hope are one company who will put there bollocks on the line and replace whatever part for free...Try squeezing a new frame from Koxx for example.

I don't do big..... I try to keep things smooth (sometimes).

I was just a faulty hub.

These things happen and it's being dealt with so poo pants to all those that think they know the answers cos they don't, HA!

I'm god and your not!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to say it was built too tight, have Hope released guidance on how tight the spokes should be as otherwise, surely you can't say that.

Sorry to stir.

Jamie

If hope had released guidelines as to how tight to tension the spokes would any of you have a tensiometer to check this? They retail at £200, doubt it some how! Anybody who builds wheels for a living (me A Cytech NVQ Level 1,2 and 3 qualified technician) knows that tension is paramount, too tight and this is what happens, too slack and the wheel falls apart. In trials its a lot more important because the wheel is under a LOT more stress! To think that a lot of you build your own wheels worries me, building a wheel is classed more as an artform as oppossed to a skill. (quote the builder of hopes team wheels, and the builder of the set of pro2s on DT rims that scored 10/10 in MBUK 2 months ago)

If you want to know how to build a wheel properly read "The art of wheel building - Gerd Schraner" (Buonpane Publications)

I suggest most of you wannabees do this!!!

The hub/wheel in question has split like this due to it being the weakest part. A wheel is built to take a small amount of stress from riding. Spokes (even cheap plain guage spokes) are extremely strong! Where the nipples sit in the eyelets of the rim, the force there is spread over a greater surface area than on the hub flange, where all the spoke heads meet. Logically think about how much more stress there will be in such a small area, (on the flange) in comparrison to how much room there is around the nipple for the forces to be spread.

Argument over!

P.S. I'm glad your sorted now Rob.

posting for work mate

building wheels takes skill but its not rocket science anyone with common sence can build a wheel granted some will be better than others but its well worth having a go yourself. I've built my own wheels for a few years now and they have all been fine.

Personally I think people are too much up hopes arse. I'll be the first person to admit they are a great company and i've never had a problem with them at all. I must say though its clear that although expensive Chris King are above hope in terms of quality. I'm not saying they are perfect but they are closer to it than hope with the pro 2t l k y z er bmw etc.

what made me laugh the most was people selling their king hubs to buy hopes.

Overall i'd have to say the pro 2 is still too much in development from what I can see its not hopes fault but rather the testers being too far up the arse and scard to tell them faults. Its like heatsink pads he's brought out about 10 different compounds and colours and everytime a new one comes out its "the best brake ever never slips etc" its never they are pretty good like but they slip a bit its always bum bum bum bum bum.

Who gives a shit what I think anyway?

If hope had released guidelines as to how tight to tension the spokes would any of you have a tensiometer to check this? They retail at £200, doubt it some how! Anybody who builds wheels for a living (me A Cytech NVQ Level 1,2 and 3 qualified technician) knows that tension is paramount, too tight and this is what happens, too slack and the wheel falls apart. In trials its a lot more important because the wheel is under a LOT more stress! To think that a lot of you build your own wheels worries me, building a wheel is classed more as an artform as oppossed to a skill. (quote the builder of hopes team wheels, and the builder of the set of pro2s on DT rims that scored 10/10 in MBUK 2 months ago)

If you want to know how to build a wheel properly read "The art of wheel building - Gerd Schraner" (Buonpane Publications)

I suggest most of you wannabees do this!!!

The hub/wheel in question has split like this due to it being the weakest part. A wheel is built to take a small amount of stress from riding. Spokes (even cheap plain guage spokes) are extremely strong! Where the nipples sit in the eyelets of the rim, the force there is spread over a greater surface area than on the hub flange, where all the spoke heads meet. Logically think about how much more stress there will be in such a small area, (on the flange) in comparrison to how much room there is around the nipple for the forces to be spread.

Argument over!

P.S. I'm glad your sorted now Rob.

posting for work mate

Just a hint, old chap. But you're starting to sound like Brant II. Back off a bit, you're not gonna singlehandedly save Hope by convincing a few 15-year-olds that new hubs with teething problems are fine.

Joe x

To think that a lot of you build your own wheels worries me, building a wheel is classed more as an artform as oppossed to a skill. (quote the builder of hopes team wheels, and the builder of the set of pro2s on DT rims that scored 10/10 in MBUK 2 months ago)

i dont think you should worry,im pretty sure that most of the people on here that build there own wheels dont worry about yours.i've built my own wheel,only the one,didnt have a bloomin clue how tight do do the spokes so i did what i thought felt right,and its fine.and i get a mate to build my other wheels.he didnt read up,he just laced it and messed about till it felt right,and,shock horror,its fine!

and anal,that wheel i got off you 2-3 years ago is still dead straight and never been fiddled with once,even after the 7ft drop to front wheel i did at nass,and all the other various front wheel drops. (Y)

Carl

Overall i'd have to say the pro 2 is still too much in development from what I can see its not hopes fault but rather the testers being too far up the arse and scard to tell them faults. Its like heatsink pads he's brought out about 10 different compounds and colours and everytime a new one comes out its "the best brake ever never slips etc" its never they are pretty good like but they slip a bit its always bum bum bum bum bum.

Oh my dear god.. we have the same opinion on two things.

and anal,that wheel i got off you 2-3 years ago is still dead straight and never been fiddled with once,even after the 7ft drop to front wheel i did at nass,and all the other various front wheel drops. (Y)

Carl

I can't take credit for that one Clive Leeson built that badboy.

Wheel building really isn't that hard to do. Equally, when I first built a wheel and put way too much tension on I snapped the spokes (that were way too long and way too old :P), not tore the arse out of my hub.

I still don't get how you can say "It's definitely because the spokes were too tight" when not all the wheels were built by the same person (unless they all happened to torque them up the same amount, which is fairly unlikely?), and when the hub has broken like that? It just seems like a load of shit to me, but there we go.