Quick Releases

nathan4

Having one on the front with a disc is very very handy. I've had a QR on my front wheel for ages now.

Don't know about having one on the rear though. Don't think there's much point what with the chain, maguras and chain tuggs all needing tools.

Front yes, but not for the rear, to add to the points above, its alot weaker isn't it? the skewers are only about 3mm in diameter, whereas normal spindles are about 14mm (on trials bikes)

Kind of.

A 'normal' trials bike will have 10mm hollow axles, with M6 bolts screwed into these with a large washer, so the part of the wheel that you are referring to is normally an M6 bolt on a 'normal' trials bike. But the Actual axle of the bike that all the force of landings etc goes through is actually the 10mm axle that sits in the dropouts. Some wheels on more budget mods use 14mm BMX hubs, which are strong, but arguably unnecessary.

A quick release would replace the M6 bolts with a solid rod about 4mm diameter, which wont reduce the strength of the wheel/axle at all, but because of using the action of a quick release instead of screwing in the bolts, you can't clamp the wheel in place as tightly, which is fine for front wheels, but with a mod having horizontal dropouts the wheel would slip a lot with just a quick release holding it in place.

hi i have quick release on both front and rear but is not very handy because you have to let tires down or remove a maggie to get the wheel out have wondered how strong they are not done anything silly yet so i'm not sure only my third week on trials

cheers

Dan

dont think having a quick release on the rear of a mod would be unviable. used to run them on a horizontal drop out street/trials bike never used to get slippage when done up correctly.

as for the length, well you got the choice of using rear QR's out of a stock bike, and spacing them out. which is arguably not the best wat and probably wont provide a sure clamp.

or just take a stock QR to an engineering place, and ask them to thread it down an extra 25mm or so. which they should be able to do with a die, for a few quid. can then use it as normal, and cut down the excess skewer if needed.

Hey mate. I want a QR on the front with my new wheel/disc but maybe ile get a allen key for the back so you can just carry a allen key tool and that will fit many of your parts without having to take your tool kill out like I do now because off my freewheel keeps comming loose :-

~Matty (Y)

hello yes on the front and yes on the bak i think it would be a bit shit though might work better it u have tugs

but any way if you just want a holow axle i can get yo one made as i snaped mi one and hva ehade one made add me on msn for more details or email me koxx.xtp@hotmail.com / conorxtp@aol.com