Adamant 07 A1 Stock 116mm Dropouts. Update--

ben_travis

So I decided i wanted to try a bodge on my bike. I have the 116mm dropout spacing on my bike. i have had no real problem with chain tension at all, but had a sudden idea that i thought would work.

AND IT DID...

awesome.....

[attachmentid=7824]

[attachmentid=7825]

[attachmentid=7826]

[attachmentid=7827]

[attachmentid=7828]

lol, whats the point?

SO.......if i ride the bike with the tightest tension possible it puts stress on the pawls and axle twisting it (I would imagine) thus f**king bearings etc etc.....

but if i dont have it tight tension (without a mech) the engagements dont work as quick. Which could lead to ben travis death (unwanted)

this bodge eliminates the need for perfect tension because the mech does the job, and the snail cams mean if i get a buckle in wheel and DONT have a spoke key i can still move the wheel and ride my bike.

there are reasons for it, also the 116mm stays are stiffer than the 135mm, with the 116mm hub being stiffer as well because of less leverage on the axle

(this is all done on the basis of my own opinion, and i feel that 116mm hubs are the way forward :P because of it.)

ALSO yer its a bb5. cos i put the bb7 ont mod

we shall see

*awaits ali C to slate my bikes again : haha*

Edited by ben_travis

SO.......if i ride the bike with the tightest tension possible it puts stress on the pawls and axle twisting it (I would imagine) thus f**king bearings etc etc.....

but if i dont have it tight tension (without a mech) the engagements dont work as quick. Which could lead to ben travis death (unwanted)

Sounds like a clever bodge then (Y)

Yea, your bike is really nice aswell :)

looks swish i like that bodge idea im guesnig it would work on a mod to, how does the bb5 work?

eddie

it would indeed work on a mod ;)

bb5 is easily as good as my bb7 perfect for the job, and just as easy to set up.....

although id never have a v-brake or anything cable operated on the rear :P

*awaits alic c*

Nice bodge you've got there. BUT, where is the point of the horizontal dropouts and wierdly spaced rear hub now?(yep, I know it is the standard hub spacing for bmx/mod frames, but for a 26" frame it still is wierd) You still use a derailleur, and I don't think you saved much weight by having a 20mm shorter axle and no hanger (which you could also do on every 26" bike, couldn't you?)

You mentioned something about it being stiffer etc, but it can't imagine it being THAT much stiffer that you were willing to go through all this hastle just because it feels slightly stiffer?

Nice bodge you've got there. BUT, where is the point of the horizontal dropouts and wierdly spaced rear hub now?(yep, I know it is the standard hub spacing for bmx/mod frames, but for a 26" frame it still is wierd) You still use a derailleur, and I don't think you saved much weight by having a 20mm shorter axle and no hanger (which you could also do on every 26" bike, couldn't you?)

You mentioned something about it being stiffer etc, but it can't imagine it being THAT much stiffer that you were willing to go through all this hastle just because it feels slightly stiffer?

and i quote from what i wrote before.....

SO.......if i ride the bike with the tightest tension possible it puts stress on the pawls and axle twisting it (I would imagine) thus f**king bearings etc etc but if i dont have it tight tension (without a mech) the engagements dont work as quick. Which could lead to ben travis death (unwanted)

this is the most important thing with horizontal dropouts that i dont want to f**k the bearings etc by having too much tension.

ALSO mike, yer it bolts straight into the hub....using a standard mech bolt. no drilling no nothing, just some slight taking apart (the same thing you would do to remove mech spring)

:)

ALSO im not a weight weenie. who gives a damn about the frames weight. its about making it work........ :D

Edited by ben_travis

fab looking bike but; i dont see the point in the modification. just buy a vertical droput frame?

im sponsored by adamant :huh: deng sent the 116mm frame, and to combat the issues i mentioned before this is the modification.

also this means i dont have any mech hanger to snap!!!!!!!!

;)

looks really cool, and im always up for a bit of bodging..... so good work i say.

iv always thought that it'd be cool to have a mech mounted that way, 'because it seems loke a nice simple, logical idea.

BUT... (theres always one) ... 'sidehops to mech might be a problem for your hub or axel, instead of just snapping or bending a hanger.' That said, if you never sidehop theat way then its not so much of a problem.

AND... (one of these too) ... 'wouldent a 116mm hub build up into a less "stiffer" wheel than a 135mm would?

only my thoughts.

Still think it looks real good though. (Y)

ahhhhhhhhhhhh what is with people an arguments!! :turned:

how did you bolt the mech on? it looks like its using the origional mech bolt or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Oh, your bars look really low too!!

MR C, this is correct, it has same thread as the adamant hub im using on the rear, or you could swap the adamant hub bolt out for the mech bolt is you so wish as its suitably long enough....low bars for the win ali. you know it :D

BUT... (theres always one) ... 'sidehops to mech might be a problem for your hub or axel, instead of just snapping or bending a hanger.' That said, if you never sidehop theat way then its not so much of a problem.

AND... (one of these too) ... 'wouldent a 116mm hub build up into a less "stiffer" wheel than a 135mm would?

i sidehop to the left (right foot forward), and i dont think a a 135mm wheel would be stiffer. because of the shorter axle there is less leverage, hus being stiffer. I would say anyway. also means there is less stress on the frame i would think....

tell me if im wrong, but im sure im right.. :)

i sidehop to the left (right foot forward), and i dont think a a 135mm wheel would be stiffer. because of the shorter axle there is less leverage, hus being stiffer. I would say anyway. also means there is less stress on the frame i would think....

tell me if im wrong, but im sure im right.. :)