Is It Possible?

Tylerlovesalex

Genraly 24" bikes just use 26" forks with either a disc, or with the break mounts cut off and re-welded lower down. So if you want rim-breaks you're limited to steel forks, but run a disc and you can use whatever forks you want.

As for rims, theres loads availible, but a few are 36 hole only, I've got a BMF on the back, which are dam good and a Sun Rhino Light on the front, which kick ass. There are a few out there.

You need to think about whether you want suspension or go rigid, and how high a front end you want.

You can use any forks for 26" bikes if you're running discs or no brake at all, but with a higher front and longer wheelbase than using one designed for 24".

Really the only 24" specific suspension fork around is the Marzocchi D-Street, but this won't suit everyone because it is 20mm through-axle and weighs something like 7 pounds. It will run 24" rim brakes though.

You can use rim brakes on 24" wheels in some 26" suspension forks by using older Pace brake-mounts that clamp on to the lower legs, but you need to make sure the legs are the right diameter. This is probably not recommended by the manufacturers of most forks!

If you want to go rigid with discs or with no brakes there is a fair selection of 26" forks that you can choose on the basis of front end height - look in specifications for the axle to crown distance. If you want to run rim brakes there's a bit less choice. If you're buying new/recent forks, Identiti Rebates have clamp-on mounts (for an extra £25!), these might fit other rigids too - check the diameter of the legs. The current Pace RC-31 clamp-on mounts (£35!!) will fit some rigids too. The Charge Nozzle has screw-in mounts to let you run brakes on either 24" or 26" rims at no extra cost.

If you want an especially low front end you could try a BMX race/cruiser forks in 24" size - S&M Pitchforks for example have a very short axle to crown height.

To show what can be done here's my bike rigid with 24" Rhynolites and Charge Nozzle forks with rim brakes

IPB Image

and springy with 24" Sun SingleTracks, 26" Fox forks and discs

IPB Image

Hope this is helpful!

Edited by himikey

Stuff

First up, this is a trials forum, and although Tyler didn't specify in this thread, I think another said he was getting a Zoot.

Suspension, and most of your post therefore, are ruled straight out. :-

Tyler, I run the old Ashton forks with the 24" mounts on (alloy) with no real problems, however I think you will have some difficulty finding a set of these. If you can, go for it. I love them!

Althernatively, you could run a disc like people have said, in which case you can run any old 26" forks, or if you want to run a maggie you will probably need to get the mounts moved on a set of forks. Pashleys are a popular choice.

The Zoot does come with Onza Fly Guys, with 24" mounts, so you shouldn't need to worry about changing forks for a while really.

Rimwise, most go for DX32s, Tiogas* or Rhyno Lites really, so look into these, although as Ali said, the Spanks seem rather nice...

*The ones I'm running, if you remember

When are you going to be getting it sorted mate?

Luke

First up, this is a trials forum, and although Tyler didn't specify in this thread, I think another said he was getting a Zoot.

Suspension, and most of your post therefore, are ruled straight out. :-

Tyler, I run the old Ashton forks with the 24" mounts on (alloy) with no real problems, however I think you will have some difficulty finding a set of these. If you can, go for it. I love them!

Althernatively, you could run a disc like people have said, in which case you can run any old 26" forks, or if you want to run a maggie you will probably need to get the mounts moved on a set of forks. Pashleys are a popular choice.

The Zoot does come with Onza Fly Guys, with 24" mounts, so you shouldn't need to worry about changing forks for a while really.

Rimwise, most go for DX32s, Tiogas* or Rhyno Lites really, so look into these, although as Ali said, the Spanks seem rather nice...

*The ones I'm running, if you remember

When are you going to be getting it sorted mate?

Luke

hi mate i am getting the zoot in the next couple days deffo! but running 26" forks is that ok to do?? i have my hope mini mono in the shed(brand new) so i will not be running a maggie ha ha you going to have compition in the 24" section lol!!!! but you will still be on top ! cheers dude tyler.

hi mate i am getting the zoot in the next couple days deffo! but running 26" forks is that ok to do?? i have my hope mini mono in the shed(brand new) so i will not be running a maggie ha ha you going to have compition in the 24" section lol!!!! but you will still be on top ! cheers dude tyler.

As I said, it'll change the geometry a bit - making your front end a bit higher and give you a longer wheelbase, the actual amount depending on the axle to crown height - I put up the pic of a long suspension fork to show the difference in principle!

It's OK to run a 24" wheel in a rigid fork for 26" wheels in terms of whether it's likely to break or not.

As I said, it'll change the geometry a bit - making your front end a bit higher and give you a longer wheelbase, the actual amount depending on the axle to crown height - I put up the pic of a long suspension fork to show the difference in principle!

It's OK to run a 24" wheel in a rigid fork for 26" wheels in terms of whether it's likely to break or not.

naa i just thought it would mess up the geo any way thank you mate very informative.

Aren't the forks that come with the zoot 24" specific ?

The mounts are 24" specific, although I don't know about the difference in fork length.

The Ashton 24" was designed around a stock fork, as are a few others. If Onza designed the Zoot around that fork there is a chance that it may be a little shorter perhaps.

Mind you, my Ashton forks come in at 391mm Dropout to Crown, so I doubt there will be much difference

EDIT: Looking at the pics on Tarty, the forks don't seem any shorter than mine, if anything I'd say they were edging on longer!

Edited by rideside