Ouch! What Shin Pads?

Phil H

I completely destroyed my shins today...they are a brutal mess.

So, I thought to myself it might be a good plan to invest in some Shin pads.

I've been looking at the 661 range which seem preety standard as my friend has some. Or possibly the 'brand x' pads. But then again they are like DH/DJ pads so I might look like a pillock riding trials with them on!

What would you reccomend?

:)

Cheers

Phil

Take it like a man, rip your shins to shreads. ;)

Nah, I had some 661 Veggie's a while ago, and they did the job nicely.

Got a bit sweaty in summer though... :sick:

haha yeh cheers for the advice man. Thing is, if I shin myself in the next week I will probably die!

(Y)

Phil

I've not used the veggies but have heard they are good.

I use the Planet X plain black ones (they also come in camo which look anything but - be ok if you wear jeans). I rate them and they are good value for money but the only problem is the hard plastic insert is flat so it doesnt exactly fit around your shin. Solution: unstitch the top of the pocket where the insert slides in, put it in a tray if hot/boiling water for a few seconds, whip it out and bend it around to shape. Do this a few times, and stick it back in.

5 velcro straps so pretty comfy.

B)-->

QUOTE(danny B @ Nov 13 2006, 10:03 PM)

c'mon dude it is just a shinny whe i was younger i used to wear shin pads but to be honest i am sooo much more comfortable not wearing them :S the decision is ures lol

haha :) Yeh I know everyone shins themselves - But this was savage and until it heals anyway Im definetly wearing pads. I managed to blag some beefy 661 pads off my mate tonite so should do the trick until I get some of my own.

Phil

I've not used the veggies but have heard they are good.

I use the Planet X plain black ones (they also come in camo which look anything but - be ok if you wear jeans). I rate them and they are good value for money but the only problem is the hard plastic insert is flat so it doesnt exactly fit around your shin. Solution: unstitch the top of the pocket where the insert slides in, put it in a tray if hot/boiling water for a few seconds, whip it out and bend it around to shape. Do this a few times, and stick it back in.

5 velcro straps so pretty comfy.

Cheers for the advice man - I was looking at the Planet X's on CRC abit earlier. Look preety allright and abit of a bargain. Don't look too beefy either so might be the way to go.

Cheers :)

Phil

Aye, I gave myself a pretty brutal shindig way back when, stitches were required and everything. It's worth considering pads for confidence for a while, but i'm gonna agree with others and say you're better off without, you'll learn to stick to the pedals in time and shinnies are desperately uncomfortable and unbelievably sweaty in the summer.

You're better off without (Y)

Joe x

After having to get stitches on both shins this summer, I decided to get some TSG bmx shin pads. It's turned out to be a great investment. They've already saved me once (definitely would have been another trip to the hospital) and in all honesty I rarely even notice I have them on. I'd be lying if I said they weren't a bit hot in the summer, but the confidence they give me is WELL worth a little sweat.

First of all I know I look like a of a bell, but I feel alot more confident with my pads on. Best thing about them is that they really dont affect the movement of my leg and I dont even notice I've got them on when I'm riding.

wear trousers over them an your sorted (Y) nobody will notice your a pansy.

p.s they're dainese and definitely worth the $$$

Edited by Scopse

If your going to get shinnys don't get the armoured versions there just overkill for our sport.

B)-->

c'mon dude it is just a shinny whe i was younger i used to wear shin pads but to be honest i am sooo much more comfortable not wearing them :S the decision is ures lol

And your legs are still pretty sexy Dan :-

First of all I know I look like a of a bell, but I feel alot more confident with my pads on. Best thing about them is that they really dont affect the movement of my leg and I dont even notice I've got them on when I'm riding.

wear trousers over them an your sorted (Y) nobody will notice your a pansy.

p.s they're dainese and definitely worth the $$$

I wear dainese knee/shin pads whenever I ride, I don't notice them, they seem to fit really well and allow full leg movement.

I've had some painfull knee and shin injuries before and now I just don't dare ride without shin pads at least.

(Y)

Nike football shin pad's is were it's at. ;)

haha fair call - cost effective!

Right I just went for a 30 min ride wearing my mates DH 661 pads. They actually werren't that bad and I forgot I had them on after a while. But where my leg is mullered it stung so much - as I got sweaty under the thick pads the sweat hit the wounds. But anywho I really like the feel of having pads on as I feel safe now im more aware of killing my legs. And its a relief when you take them off :P

Phil

My shins are a mess of scars, and these days if I cut open one of them the rest will probably open up too, which isn't a nice thought. I just use old football shin pads I used to have for PE at school. fairly light and don't restrict any movement at all. Of course, I'd look like a dick if I was wearing shorts, but I'm the kind of person that wears jeans all year round anyway, so it works for me!

My shins are a mess of scars, and these days if I cut open one of them the rest will probably open up too, which isn't a nice thought. I just use old football shin pads I used to have for PE at school. fairly light and don't restrict any movement at all. Of course, I'd look like a dick if I was wearing shorts, but I'm the kind of person that wears jeans all year round anyway, so it works for me!

Ha yeh that is a fair idea but wearing jeans in summer! suicide! Its got to be shorts in summer - or I end up with like a lake of sweat in my jeans! Especially as I only wear black jeans which absorbs the light.

Phil

B)-->

Thats your choice too, he does want to get a shin dig sooo....

yeah go for the 661's ;)