Koxx Try-all Freewheel....

Danny Kearns

Hi there, I was just browsing tartybikes for a new freewheel and came across the "Koxx Try-all 108 EP" freewheel.

I would just like to know abit about it and a few reviews of riders who have ridden one.

So:

Does this freewheel ever loosen ?

Is this freewheel as loud as say a profile, hope pro 2, chris king ?

Has yours skipped on you yet and how long have you run it for ?

Have any of them exploded yet ?

On top of all this, I read something a while ago about people having trouble getting these onto there crank arm ? Did i read correctly ? If so what was the problem and how did you resolve it ?

Cheers.

Dan.

Check the news forum, theres a huge topic on it in there.

I had the problems getting it on, an extension bar on the spanner sorted it out, havn't had it off yet so I don't know what state the threads underneath are in, but it was a really strange one as all other freewheel's fitted fine...

Since having mine it's skipped a few times but it's negligable because the next EP is so close it's more of a small click than a skip. Brilliant engagement, really precise, tiniest movemet bring you to the next ep if needed, I just really like it and wouldn't ever go back to using an ACS, they are not as loud as a Tensile, but they make a differant type of noise, very hard to explain, im getting an ENO soon so should be able to compare the two soon enough........

Check the news forum, theres a huge topic on it in there.

I had the problems getting it on, an extension bar on the spanner sorted it out, havn't had it off yet so I don't know what state the threads underneath are in, but it was a really strange one as all other freewheel's fitted fine...

Since having mine it's skipped a few times but it's negligable because the next EP is so close it's more of a small click than a skip. Brilliant engagement, really precise, tiniest movemet bring you to the next ep if needed, I just really like it and wouldn't ever go back to using an ACS, they are not as loud as a Tensile, but they make a differant type of noise, very hard to explain, im getting an ENO soon so should be able to compare the two soon enough........

So would you not reccomend one ?

Dan.

ummm, I would. what gave you that idea?

Im the only person who has had problems fitting it, and it hardly ever skips, when it does it's not even noticable, Will never come loose as the lockring is against the crank arm, and i think only TRA has blown one up, but Vincent has been running them for ages.

I'd say go for it, I really dont know if the differance between 60/72/108 engagements is noticable, but obviously the Try-all has the most. I see the try-all as a pimp piece of kit, tensile and monty freewheel's as general trials use freewheel, and then the ENO as a hardcore proper job, mainly because it is user servicable, if the try-all was servicable it'd definately be top in my books, but then it'd probobly be twice the price too.........

ummm, I would. what gave you that idea?

Im the only person who has had problems fitting it, and it hardly ever skips, when it does it's not even noticable, Will never come loose as the lockring is against the crank arm, and i think only TRA has blown one up, but Vincent has been running them for ages.

I'd say go for it, I really dont know if the differance between 60/72/108 engagements is noticable, but obviously the Try-all has the most. I see the try-all as a pimp piece of kit, tensile and monty freewheel's as general trials use freewheel, and then the ENO as a hardcore proper job, mainly because it is user servicable, if the try-all was servicable it'd definately be top in my books, but then it'd probobly be twice the price too.........

Well what cranks are you running ?

Dan.

I've been running mine for ages now, never skipped once and mine went on like a dream (i'm using echo fogged cranks). It is quite loud but not as loud as a profile. Runs super smooth, i would recommend it (Y) .

Edited by bhups

got mine yesterday, first ride on it tonyt and all i can say is .... THEY ROCK they run really smooth, has a good loud click, you can feel the strength in the build, if that makes sense,

ull never have problems with it loosing, the lockring is against a washer up against your cranks

i put my on my tensiles and it went straight on no problem,

i used to run an Eno, but after this ill never go back

cheers

Wether or not you can run a bashring is dictated by the cranks. The try-all has no removal tab, they are set into the freewheel, so it technically is thinner than any other type of freewheel (equal to monty) I know that Monty cranks will not accomodate a front freewheel and a bash ring.

Try-all freewheel is 29mm wide including the spacer between the crank arm and freewheel, there are 11mm of thread on the Monty cranks, so, decide what bash you want, add it's width at the centre onto 29mm, and see if you have that space between the outside of your existing freewheel/bash ring and bb shell........

EDIT: i'll send you the bill for all this advice in the post yeh? :P

Edited by jake1516

Wether or not you can run a bashring is dictated by the cranks. The try-all has no removal tab, they are set into the freewheel, so it technically is thinner than any other type of freewheel (equal to monty) I know that Monty cranks will not accomodate a front freewheel and a bash ring.

Try-all freewheel is 29mm wide including the spacer between the crank arm and freewheel, there are 11mm of thread on the Monty cranks, so, decide what bash you want, add it's width at the centre onto 29mm, and see if you have that space between the outside of your existing freewheel/bash ring and bb shell........

EDIT: i'll send you the bill for all this advice in the post yeh? :P

Yes please :ermm: .

I have e-mailed the tarty boys about my enquiry they shall be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers jake for your help.

Dan.

i have a try-all on my tensiles fitted fine works a beast :)

me too!

i used a bit of grease when fitting it so i didnt screw up the threads.

works brilliantly, dont even notice if ever it skips an EP

sounds good and not too WAAAH IM A NOISY FREEWHEEL LOOK AT ME WOOOOO

doesn't cost you the world like an eno either...

go forth and by my friend,

matt

Oh yes they are, pawls, bearings and shims all available ex stock, cheap as chips.

Methinks the supercycles and onza site need to be redone and upgraded. Alot of onza related stuff is going unnoticed and you get all sorts of unreliable information about onza products just becuase there's no real source of information.

To get back to the point of the topic;

So far Koxx U.K. have sold hundreds of 108.9 freewheels. One person, from all those supplied, complained about fitting problems. This was almost certainly due to deformed threads on a used crank arm.

I have run a 108.9 since the end of June, in practice, National comps and the Worlds. I used to run Eno and would go back if I thought it would be an advantage.

Ben.

Argh i wrote out a long winded post and closed it for f**k sake.

The jist of it was that my crank thread were not 'deformed' not trying to blow my own trumpet but i've been studying engineering for 4 years now, I know when threads are buggered or not, not to mention taking them to a bike shop to see if they could help, and the guy screwed on both an acs and dicta easily. I cleaned the threads with a wire brush on the cranks, the freewheels threads were clean also.

I still don't know what the problem was/is, but seeing as I have that ENO on it's way rom you and a spare set of monty crank's, depending on how the eno performs I may take the Try-all freewheel off the cranks to see just what's happened to the threads inside, they very well may be 'deformed' now!

If it was as easy as having had deformed threads i'd be happy as then i'd have an answer!