Old Giant Team

robster

Might sound like a daft question, :blink:

But what can i do to my bike to help me get the front end up, as in the bunny hop stakes.? It just seems really heavy on the front end. The bike is very very light. It has Azonic riser bars on it. I don't know witch stem it has or the rise rate of the bars :$ Sos if I am a little vague but I just ride the damn thing I am not to arsed about bike widgets and all that. I am sure that you mr AliC will have some view on this subject, and no doubt that mr Waynio will have his say come on lads help an old git out :(

But if anyone has any advise for me it would be apreciated(sp).

It might well be me that is just crap and it brobably is. I might just be a little old and a little heavy :huh:

Cheers lads and lasses.

John

a longer stem will make it easier on the rear wheel, but will make the front hard to pull up to start with.

for bunnyhops, a short high front end is best. I dont know what stem you have on now, but if you can pop a few spacers under it, get those bars as high as poss. Also, rear sweep on bars is a godsend for bunnyhops.

Also, having your brake lever set correctly can help too.

Have fun :D

The biggest weight to be saved is in the forks and tyres, but as people have said, it's more likely the positioning of your handlebars which is causing the difficulty.

The higher the handlebars are, (within limits!) the easier it is to do the bunnyhops. I certainly notice this when going from a 26 bike with flat bars, no head spacers to a 24" bike with risers (+2.5 inchs), headset spacers (+1.5 inches). The 4 extra inches (10cm) seems to make all the difference!

Steve

take a photo of your bike and post it up, most of us will be able to tell the sizes by eye (Y) then we may be able to help more :)

If you can find a picture of Hawsie(Martin) you will see it. It is his old bike.

I will try and get a piccy up on here.

John

I hope you did try what i posted last time. Some other people have the same problem however but they're on high bb bikes so i'm not quite sure what your doing wrong.

I think your best bet is to go riding with someone who could help. Most people on here would be happy to help.

At a guess I'd say that's a 100/110mm stem with about an 8deg rise, and a 1/1.5" riser bar. and with 10mm stacker's at most. So you could put a 2" riser bar on it, or you could get a 70/80mm stem, either would definitely make a difference. It just depends how bothered you are about it, and how much you don't mind the compromise it would make on the bike for more pure trials stuff.

Here is the picture that somebody asked for earlier.[attachmentid=8470]

I thought it better to show me and not mr Hawes, as it's me that has the problem. :angry:

It might just be that I am starting out to late and try to do what the kids are doing.

Being old(er) is real BAB (N)

Thanks again.

John

post-8069-1164988151_thumb.jpg

yeh, that front end can get much higher, the length look's ok, but there doesn't seem to be too much rise on 'er.

You'll really have to play about with a few differant set-up's but tarty's picture's of the stem's are very handy as they let you compare one to another I would try getting a stem much the same length but maybe 10-15 degree more rise personally, maybe try scoping the FS board's for a bit and pick up a few cheapies before splashing out......

come on you golden oldie!!!! the ledgend himself. nice thread BTW john (Y):)

all you need is a bit of "good ol pasty!!!!" dont try "lift it up" you need to move your legs and arms dont be too wooden (Y) you sometimes can be a bit like an old stiff (i know your not though!!!) your top of the order for being so enthusiastic about it.

il help you on sunday OR if you fancy a blast in keighley for an hour or 2 tonight il show you???? im off out after work, 30mins and counting. meet me in morrisons car park, where weve met before, bring that lil whizz kid of a son of yours, he can teach me some tricks.

its all in the Freeing of your mind, dont try/concentrate too hard. lean back, pull on bars hard, (jump as if you were jumping on the spot) jump with an up motion, tuck your BUM over your tyre (yep i know its big but it will still tuck ;) )

You'll get it!!!! come on be my inspiration tonight, and make me go out and ride to help you do it. keighley 28minutes now ;)

Waynio....................................

come on you golden oldie!!!! the ledgend himself. nice thread BTW john (Y):)

all you need is a bit of "good ol pasty!!!!" dont try "lift it up" you need to move your legs and arms dont be too wooden (Y) you sometimes can be a bit like an old stiff (i know your not though!!!) your top of the order for being so enthusiastic about it.

il help you on sunday OR if you fancy a blast in keighley for an hour or 2 tonight il show you???? im off out after work, 30mins and counting. meet me in morrisons car park, where weve met before, bring that lil whizz kid of a son of yours, he can teach me some tricks.

its all in the Freeing of your mind, dont try/concentrate too hard. lean back, pull on bars hard, (jump as if you were jumping on the spot) jump with an up motion, tuck your BUM over your tyre (yep i know its big but it will still tuck ;) )

You'll get it!!!! come on be my inspiration tonight, and make me go out and ride to help you do it. keighley 28minutes now ;)

Waynio....................................

Sos buddy I'm on the wine now. long week and all that.

We will defo be out this weekend for sure.

I will beat this thing if it kills me (and it usually does) :(

JP

Been out today with Ali and Waynio and young mr Boyes.

It was me after all. I have been oficially shown, bolloked and bullied. But i can now say I can GET IT UP.

Cheers to you both (Y)

I am as stiff as fooook and can hardly walk to the fridge for another ale. :$ you rotten gits youv'e pushed me to hard :angry:

John and Robbie

(its good having you own trainer) :P