Baby Oil

BIGA1

your mums bottom ja :P

Sticking up for Jason here, Alex, i doubt you're much taller than a baby :P

On topic, it's got better uses. (yes that, you dirty sod) :ermm::lol:

I think it might be unsuitable due to the fact it might corrode the workings of the magura.

There's only one way to find out, and it's gonna have to be tested.

Keep us updated as to wether it works? How it feels?

Baby oil is mineral oil, so it's ok to use in Maguras. I think it's a bit thinner than Magura blood, but not much. It won't make as much different as running water, but then water will do more damage to the Magura internals.

DON'T use DoT brake fluid! It has various things in it like seal swelling agents which will destroy the seals on your Maguras. Plus it's just nasty, nasty stuff.

I don't know why some people recomend Baby oil, It's shit my mate bleed his brake with it and it was awfull. It had a Slow return and felt all sluggish, Magura blood would be loads better than it. Just bleed your brake with water to be honist it's what feels the best it has a lot more snappier feel and alot more solid feel compared to Baby oil and Magura bood.

And it's free of course :)

Its more like something you use for lubrication for foreplay or something like that :D it'd just use water because so many people recommend it

shockingly enough baby oil is for oiling babies. it says so on the packet.

it will work (as f-stop says) because it's a mineral oil.

Baby oil *** (Y) It's a mineral oil just like Magura oils, so immediately it's looking promising as you won't have any issues with seal damage/swelling, it won't degrade like vegetable oils, and has a lubricating effect better than water.

I was meaning to measure the viscosity of a variety of similar oils, but didn't have time. If Baby oil is thinner (less viscous) than the mineral oil magura use (and have dyed a colour), then a careful bleed should give you that quicker feeling at the lever.

Why not give it a try? It's dirt cheap, possibily thinner than magura oil (same basic mineral oil stuff), and bypasses the occasional issues associated with water bleeds (rare reports of longterm seal damage/corrosion, winter freezing). Since there are a variety of factors that can lead to a poor feeling brake lever aside from the fluid, I think a bigger sample of riders is needed to start to come to a definative judgement on it!

Strangely, I've never used the baby oil for my wee baby Callum since it's too greasy!

BTW, if you fancy finding out definitively if Baby oil (or any other fluid) is less viscous that Magura oil, the way to do it is to find a clear plastic tube and a ball bearing which is just a little bit smaller. Fill the column (plug the bottom) with each oil in turn and time the drop of the ball bearing from top to bottom. Do a few runs to find an average time. The quicker descent indicates the thinner fluid, and if you have a search around on the internet you can find the formulas to put real numbers on this rather than just compare two fluids.

Steve

no offence to any of you guys trying out new ideas and the like but have you ever heard of car brake fluid or magura brake fluid why don't you stop wasting your' time in the garage and get some riding done, come on guys????

Waisting our time trying to improve braking efficency, what are you running, road calipers?