Imac

CurtisRider

righty, just bought an iMac to play with, and i havent a clue how to use it, i managed to play a cd (but cant work out how to play a dvd?), that was stressful enough, but id like to actually use it for more than that

firstly, can i upgrade the os 9 operating system? (my friend offered me a copy of os 10 from his g4) is it like with windows and they give you updates? or do you have to buy an upgraded version? whats the best version its capable of? (400mhz, 128ram)

i need to sort out a router so i can whack the internet onto it (i presume you can share the internet between a pc and a mac?), but whilst im waiting to do that, is it possible to download updates/programs via my pc, burn them onto cd, then install on the mac?

any tips on using it? or getting the most out of it?

sorry for my lack of knowledge, after ages of using pcs, im really confused with a mac :$

cheers, paul

EDIT: been looking on the apple site, and all the help is with os 10 and above :( euuurgh

Edited by pauloliver

What are you looking to do with it, I'm not sure about updating the operating system from 9 to 10 but as for the internet connection, you can share the connection from the pc to the mac, using network setting from both pc and mac. Also once you have an internet connection to it, the programs on it should update itself like once a month or when a newer version is out. Macs are pretty good for video editing and dvd creation. As standard i think macs come with Imovie which is a good beginner video editing program. Ps if your mac was straight out the shop it should be upto date anyway.

oh right

not immac

Haha, I made a disturbing immac discovery the other day, I'd always wondered what the smell reminded me of, then I read the ingredients...... second ingredient after water is....... urea... that's piss basically!!

Charming!

Davey

Edited by Small_Gear_Big_Style

righty, just bought an iMac to play with, and i havent a clue how to use it, i managed to play a cd (but cant work out how to play a dvd?), that was stressful enough, but id like to actually use it for more than that

firstly, can i upgrade the os 9 operating system? (my friend offered me a copy of os 10 from his g4) is it like with windows and they give you updates? or do you have to buy an upgraded version? whats the best version its capable of? (400mhz, 128ram)

i need to sort out a router so i can whack the internet onto it (i presume you can share the internet between a pc and a mac?), but whilst im waiting to do that, is it possible to download updates/programs via my pc, burn them onto cd, then install on the mac?

Might as-well answer your questions straight away..

400mhz and 128mb of Ram isn't sufficient to run OSX (Operating system 10) properly.

You need atleast 256mb of Ram and atleast 3gb of free hard disk space.

Go to Apple (top left hand corner) then About this Mac/Computer or something. Write all the spec up on here.

Does it have a DVD drive? It says that you need one for installation, and obviously playing DVD's. I don't reckon it will have, not if you've got the G3.

I had an old iMac running with 512mb of Ram and an external HDD linked up and it ran okay, but they're not the best computers, especially with a processor of 0.4ghz - even though Mac and PC processors can't really be compared.

Answer those first (Y)

What are you looking to do with it, I'm not sure about updating the operating system from 9 to 10 but as for the internet connection, you can share the connection from the pc to the mac, using network setting from both pc and mac. Also once you have an internet connection to it, the programs on it should update itself like once a month or when a newer version is out. Macs are pretty good for video editing and dvd creation. As standard i think macs come with Imovie which is a good beginner video editing program. Ps if your mac was straight out the shop it should be upto date anyway.

ive got a few camcorders and want to try a mac for video editing, i currently have a 3.2ghz pc with 2 gig ram and thats seeems okish for it, but macs are generally better it seems

so how would i go about networking them? ive still got the network cable from when me and my brother shared the internet-presumably i can use that?

not immac

im fine with hairy legs

400mhz and 128mb of Ram isn't sufficient to run OSX (Operating system 10) properly.

You need atleast 256mb of Ram and atleast 3gb of free hard disk space.

Go to Apple (top left hand corner) then About this Mac/Computer or something. Write all the spec up on here.

I had an old iMac running with 512mb of Ram and an external HDD linked up and it ran okay, but they're not the best computers, especially with a processor of 0.4ghz - even though Mac and PC processors can't really be compared.

Answer those first (Y)

the computer says: built in memory:384mb, and version:mac osz1-9.0

and nothing else? bit weird, i thought it had 128mb....really confused now

it does have a dvd drive (not a writer i presume)

soooo....am i best off giving up on it, and sticking with my pc/getting a newer mac?

cheers for the help so far :)

the computer says: built in memory:384mb, and version:mac osz1-9.0

and nothing else? bit weird, i thought it had 128mb....really confused now

it does have a dvd drive (not a writer i presume)

soooo....am i best off giving up on it, and sticking with my pc/getting a newer mac?

cheers for the help so far :)

Get a newer Mac. They're the way forwards :)