Chain/ring/sprocket Setup

TomR

Right, i recently bought a 2nd hand ashton but it was running 22:13 which was way too high for me so i stuck on an 18 tooth at the back and now im having problems with the chain tension. Due to the larger sprocket the chain that came with the bike isnt long enough. Its got a fresh products tensioner and im using an old sram chain now. The chains not too old and i don't think's stretched that much, but its too long for the tensioner to take all the slack up, and taking a link out means its too short. Anyone else has these problems? I'll probably get a new chain anyway, but will that fix it? Or am i better off running a different ratio with a 20 tooth ring up front?

Edited by planetxpimp

I had a similar problem when fitting my bike up with new stuff, I put the chain on quite tight even though its stretched in now and all good if its really tight don't do it. You might find that you could use a different tensioner, fixed ones arent all that good for adjustment, failing that find yourself a half link or if your buying a new chain get yourself a half link chain.

Get yourself a half-link... Make sure it's the right size, most half-links are for BMX sized chains, so you might have to change your whole chain if you don't want a "weakest link". While your'e a at it, you might want to change your sproket to, so everything streches together...

I thought the idea of a tensioner was that you didn't have to worry about tension so much, the adjusment on the FP one must be shite if removing one link can't be accomodated????

Well most tensionners theoriticly have a link to a link and a half of tensionning, so it can happen that your'e screwed and need a half link, you'd either have to much tension or to little [mind you in most case it's not extreme], so you need a half link, probably temporarely until it streches.