Market Research

Right then guys,

after a business class today i thought up a devious plan to make an online trials store (ooh how original i hear you cry) but to make purely custom parts.

i know that many people on here are looking for a bit less "mainstream" parts so that was where the idea came from.

my dad works as an engineer and toolmaker so that would be the source of production. i can use the design stuff quite well and have some good ideas for stuff and am in the process of designing things.

my plan is to produce components, and via e-mail, custom parts can be made up. the original components will be starting points for your designs, so they can be seen as they are and what possibilities they have for changes.

these parts would also be able to be bought as standard parts if like them the way they are.

components will be availible in a variety or finishes (anodised different colours, made of different materials etc..)they would also be relatively cheap for what the are. obviously a titanium part will be more than an aluminium one.

i just want to hear your opinions on what you would want to see up for sale and how they should look.

thanks for your time, please reply so i can get ideas

it probably wont happen for a while as parts would need to be tested and designs tried to make sure they are ok.

matt

( i have made this topic in nmc so all people can reply to it )

Edited by 20inchsuperstar

thats a good idea mate, i wouldve thought your best bet is to start small making things like brake boosters and other things like this as they will be inexpensive to produce so you arnt going to loose lots of money if it dont work anyway, i would be interested in buying something like a booster if it was custom (Y)

Edited by oliyoungman14

Well let me be the first to wish you the best of luck. And offer you some helpfull advice. Now im sure your alot more educated than me in business, but youve got to think slowly. I know its all exciting starting out a business, but dont plan too far ahead. Like you was saying about how your going to finsh the product.

What you really want to do is sit down and have a good long think about what sort of products you want to be making. A company name/Logo will also help alot. And you say about emailing in. Think of your competitors such as heatsink and fresh products, how are you going to show your products. Need a website? Also theres the cost of the company, TAX? (which im sure you all know about).

But you see where im going here, alot more thought needs to be put in before you even think of starting the company and designing testing. But good luck with it all and i wish you the best of luck.

yeah the plan was to start small with brake boosters etc. so then to see how it goes with those as it wont be the end of the world if it goes tits up.

its just an idea at the moment so im just trying things. My dad was going to make some things for me a while back but never got round to it.

Im waiting for my dad to get back at the moment so we can have a talk through it all. The plan so far is to keep things small in numbers, fairly cheap and eye catching.

all comments are welcome so keep em coming.

matt

sounds like a great idea as things that other people don't have on their bike appeal to me as it would make my bike unique. I think if you go about it the right way you could have a very good idea on your hands here, just make sure no one else steals it!! :- only kidding. hope it all goes to plan (Y)(Y)

A 13 year old with his own bussiness? I don't think so...

Only joking Matthew, if you do make boosters i'd happily test them out for you (i need one sharpish!)

All the best Matt, i'm on MSN all the time as you can tell so i can help with anything such as questionaires, testing and all that lark...

Realy good idea mate, it sounds like you know what you will be doing and you have all the tools and equiptment so give it ago. I have been thinking about making my own booster for a while now but never got round the getting the stuff. I wish you all the best in getting it set up and hope you do well mate.

Adam.

Best of luck (Y) .

As Robwalker said, a brand name and website is very important because you need a face for your company. When you've finished some products give a couple of freebees out to well-known riders and see if they'll give your product good reviews.

I know that i'm more likely to buy a product if it's recommended by other riders and so that would be a good way to gain peoples trust.

EDIT: Nice design by the way, reminds me of the Hope stems.

Edited by ted

Best of luck (Y) .

As Robwalker said, a brand name and website is very important because you need a face for your company. When you've finished some products give a couple of freebees out to well-known riders (such as Fat Pants) and see if they'll give your product good reviews.

I know that i'm more likely to buy a product if it's recommended by other riders and so that would be a good way to gain peoples trust.

EDIT: Nice design by the way, reminds me of the Hope stems.

Good advice!

Boosters looking tight.

Matts saying it's probably going to be made out of stainless steel, it'll be strong, thin and light!

I'll have 1 matt custom made titanium frame and a set of your home made rims please. Nah good luck with it and is it for a school or just a general thing. And produce some cool stuff to start like bar ends and ill buy some. (at a discount you know :P ). You could start a team as well cough cough ;)

cool stuff here guys ta very much

matt, its just a general thing

cheers for the comments on my drawing skills

competition time!!!!

right we need a name!!

this is gonna be a company for riders by riders so i need some rider input

winner gets a fiver and twenty brownie points!! (im serious)

keep em coming, cheers

matt

when i was watching the simpsons i decided to make a start so heres design 1

hope you like, comments needed

matt

I copyrighted the trangle designer design stealer!!!! :P JOKES

urm...... yea i mean you need to make it longer more RB-ish for the tyre clearance

particularly on a mod...... for us lil boys :P

but yea looking good!!! you can sponser us all :P free custom shizzle *cough cough*

free custom shizzle *cough cough*

not-quite-so-free-but-still-cheaper-than-usual custom shizzle :P

ill try a longer one for the mod boys

i stole a design program from school ttoday which looks quite promising...(ill give it back dw)

seat? is winning at the moment but is closely followed by "homeslice" it just makes me giggle

the fiver still stands and so do the brownie points :P

thanks again, matt

Edited by 20inchsuperstar

Hhmmm

First off, good idea.. if it went in the right direction, you never know..Might have a little enterprise on your hands, and before you know..

BooomOKMM)SODMSODFMSOJFo fJNADOIFJDiom

£1,000,000
- Yeah ok, a little over the top.. but ..it would be nice : D

Im not good with the names, But a few suggests maybe

Creati1ve. ( Or cr3at1ve.)

Insp1ration Cycles.

Something like that.

By the way, i kinda like the idea of the use of numbers in words, i think it looks better.. - but thats my personal opinion,

Rich-fat-stuck-up-cu|\|ts may think otherwise.

But, maybe if you get passed the design and actually start to make stuff.. I'll sure try them out,

Have a Review from a Pro and have a review from some newb ;D

And if it goes any futher, i can proberly provide you with some hosting.

So, Good luck

xxxxx

You gotcha self a good idea going here Matt (Y)

there are a lot of factors to consider, but they come in stages so it's not like a huge mountain of everything at once.

Few names I thought of:

Sprent parts co. (all below in creative but readable graffit or stylish logo which i can help with aswell ;) )

Distilled

Kustom co.

Burn-time

*STK* parts

That's just a few but i've got a load more !

Get in touch if you want to take me up on anything - onzadude@yahoo.co.uk (ma MSN)

P.S I love designing and got a good mind for business spending my work experience at an architect's so if you fancy another person on board im open :D

Joel ;)

Edited by JsyJoel93

wow im going the same way when i leave school (architect and all that jazz ***)

im ok for graff styles, i got plenty in my head, sketchbook etc...........and all the gear for it in my room :P

ill add you to msn so we can talk about shizz

i may ask neil t very nicely to have one for abusive purposes if ever hes online, or ill just e-mail him

good names too

cheers for the replies

il post up a few more designs when i can get the scanner to work again hehe

matt