Broadband

munkee

due to a fat housemate with a very worrying addiction to downloading child cartoons such as tale spin, he-man and the borrowers

i'm not helping or adding to this thread, but i am laughing my f**king tits off at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha... there has to be one broadband provider out there good enough for us. Wonder how hard it is to make our own company :lol: ?

To run your own ISP, pretty simple the bigger picture. If however you want to get like BT/NTL with your own lines, exchanges etc, its a million times harder. :)

To run your own ISP, pretty simple the bigger picture. If however you want to get like BT/NTL with your own lines, exchanges etc, its a million times harder. :)

it's so hard, nobody has done it!!! Not their own exchanges anyway. Only BT has exchanges, in which, telewest, talk talk, Bulldog, pipex, tiscali, orange, Sky, telewest, NTL, AOL, and every other ISP uses and pays BT for. Thats why they can pay me when they are so disorganised, half the time they haven't sorted me any work out!

Slightly off topic, does anybody have any experience with the virgin fair usage policy?

I've had virgin as my isp for about 6 months and about 2 months ago my internet speed suddenly went rubbish at peak times. I assume they've put me on their fair usage policy.

At the moment im on 6GB per month which isn't really supposed to cater for things like CSS etc.

I was wondering whether upgrading my line to their 'unlimited usage' package might do the trick.

Edited by ted

what do you work as bongo?

I'm a BT engineer mate. I'm supervising contractors that are installing provision equipment for almost every ISP in the country,in BT exchanges. So basically, when you apply for your sky BB or Tiscali or whatever, BT gets a job off that company to provide the linking cables and software between their equipment, and the BT network, so this is what the contractors are installing, and what i do when i'm not supervising, along with all sorts of faults on Broadband, normal lines, ISDN, Private lines, alarm lines etc.

It's a really enjoyable job (Y) different everyday.

I'm with Plus.NET best I could find:
  • Up to 8Mb speeds nationwide †
  • Free setup available
  • Fixed cost payments
  • Flexible usage options
  • No fixed download limits
  • Priority service on our network
  • Advanced web features - CGI & MySQL

Extras: Extras:

• Free online support
  • Spam blocking and anti-virus
  • Email addresses (unlimited)
  • Webspace (100MB)
  • Domain hosting (1)
  • Free online support
  • Spam blocking and anti-virus
  • Email addresses (unlimited)
  • Webspace (250MB)
  • Domain hosting (5)
  • Static IP

30:1 contention ratio, instead of that rubbish AOL/BT 50:1

costs 22.99 a month. Seems alright for me, hope thats ^^^ some use to you.

Oh god no, dont go anywhere near Plus.NET if you live in the midlands. We had it at uni and it was an absolute joke. The line was so unstable and used to be down for 12 hrs at a time every month or so. Oh and they dont have a "download limit" but a fair usage policy. If you do download over a certain amount during peak times (6am til Midnight or something) then they basically reduce your line speed by 75% through peak hours. Its not supposed to affect http/msn etc but it does, and it also means online games are laggy as fooooo

I'd never go anywhere near them again. Ive heard great things about Pipex and Nildram, Im on my dad's AOL 2meg line at home, and although I dont download massive amounts the line is VERY stable and I dont have a single complaint!

If you can get NTL they're great for heavy downloaders, a mate at uni who lived over the road used to DL 20gb+ a day at all times and although was politely asked not to use it quite so much (which he obviously ignored) there's nothing in the policy which stopped him doing it!

M@

So it looks like ntl arent too bad then really? One thing that could be gay is that ntl dont assign you your own ip address do they? so some download sites wont work due to "you have reached your maximum limit for the day" etc thing? we have our cable through ntl, since sky are a bunch of pricks and the guy couldnt be arsed to climb up his ladder any higher to get a signal. So would be easy to sort out wouldnt it? do i have to change from my bt phoneline if i go with ntl?