What Camera To Get?

joetrials06

Hi,

I have decided to buy a decent camera to take pictures on me on my bike but i don't really know what to get. The only thing i have really looked at is the Canon EOS 350D. Basically what i want is something that can take around 3fps and has decent zoom. Also i need it to be around the £450 mark. So any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks, Joe

Edited by joetrials06

Hi,

I have decided to buy a decent camera to take pictures on me on my bike but i don't really know what to get. The only thing i have really looked at is the Canon EOS 350D. Basically what i want is something that can take around 3fps and has decent zoom. Also i need it to be around the £450 mark. So any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks, Joe

the new 400D is out, i my self have a nikon d50 and i f**king love it, the ONLY ONLY ONLY thing that made me get a nikon was the fact i didnt likehow small the cannon was, for som reason i like massive cameras (part of the reason i baught a veritcal shutter)

i got the 350, it`s pretty sweet, takes about 2.5 fps if i remember it correctly.

You just have to see the pros and cons.

According to some testes made on some sites i`ve seen that the 400s sensor is a bit worse when it comes to light.

Ex. you get a bit darker photos with 400 at 400 iso than 400 iso on the 350.

Whatever you do, don't buy the lower end Canon models. The lenses are absolutely terrible. Get a Nikon D50, or D40. If you can find a decent price second hand, get a D70s. Seriously, avoid the 350d and 400d.

the kit lens arent that bad. the D80 is the cheapest Nikon that id consider. the 400d and 350 are both great cameras. better than both d40, d50 and d70. the d80 is great though but picture quality is virtually identical to the 400d.

Whatever you do, don't buy the lower end Canon models. The lenses are absolutely terrible. Seriously, avoid the 350d and 400d.

Sorry? All cheap Canon lenses are terrible? I don't think so! For one you could use any Tamron or Sigma lens that is so great on a Nikon, secondly you'd struggle to find people who'd say how bad the 50mm F1.8 is for example.

The 400D is an awesome camera for the money, but you really can't go wrong buying either. Try both, see which you find easier to use, and buy that. There is no real reason to buy one instead of the other.

Joe, £450? for a camera? :o

Buy a car, or a MOD to practice on, or put it in the bank until you need bits for your coust, just don't spend that much on a camera, at our level there really is no need.

Why would i want to buy a car Muel i'm only 14 and i don't want a MOD. Also i only have to pay for half of the camera my dad is paying the other half and we are going to share it.

I found a 400D for £440 and a 350D for £370 (both new) so i'll probably get one of those i'm just not sure which.

Joe

I think what he was trying to say is the kit lens on the Canon's are terrible, which they are.

Go to Jessops and try a few out, I personally prefered the feel of Nikon's, Canon's feel tiny, but if you do get Canon, see if it's viable to buy it body only then get a Sigma or Tamron lens with it.

Also, the 400d has 10 megapixels, which is nice if your planning on making big prints, if your not its not that useful at all, and a dust cleaner thing.

Personally I don't think its worth the extra money, but those features might be very handy for you if your shooting in dusty conditions and want more megapixels.

If you like the feel of the Canon then consider the Olympus E400. Not many people even consider the olympus system but trust me, it's fantastic. The E400 in paticular is the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market at present, and comes with a twin lens kit (14-42 + 40-150)

The only main differences (as far as I know) between the 350D and the 400D are that the 400 has 2 more MP, 11 AF points and a 'self cleaning sensor' which dosen't really work from what I've heard. Part of the 'cleaning' process is using software, which I guess is like cloning out the dust, which you can do in photoshop anyway.

If it's dust your worried about then go for the olympus, the sensor vibrates when you turn it on and really does work. They were the first ones to develope the system and it really is good, for example a mate has an older olympus DSLR and shoots loads of banger racing, changing lenses where theres loads of dust, and in 3 years hasn't had a dust problem at all.

If you wanna know more google "myfourthirds"

I prefur Nikon myself and would go for something like a D70 or D80. The D40 is pretty small and only takes certain lenses, either a D50 or upwards id say but like Dan said, go into shops and try them to see which you prefur.

Stating that you want an SLR with a good zoom is kinda not right, as the lens isnt obviously fixed so you can pretty much add as much zoom as you want.

Either Canon or Nikon are very good and you won't be disapointed with either, it's down to personal preference.

(Y)

Edited by Rob_P

If you like the feel of the Canon then consider the Olympus E400. Not many people even consider the olympus system but trust me, it's fantastic. The E400 in paticular is the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market at present, and comes with a twin lens kit (14-42 + 40-150)

The only main differences (as far as I know) between the 350D and the 400D are that the 400 has 2 more MP, 11 AF points and a 'self cleaning sensor' which dosen't really work from what I've heard. Part of the 'cleaning' process is using software, which I guess is like cloning out the dust, which you can do in photoshop anyway.

If it's dust your worried about then go for the olympus, the sensor vibrates when you turn it on and really does work. They were the first ones to develope the system and it really is good, for example a mate has an older olympus DSLR and shoots loads of banger racing, changing lenses where theres loads of dust, and in 3 years hasn't had a dust problem at all.

If you wanna know more google "myfourthirds"

I prefur Nikon myself and would go for something like a D70 or D80. The D40 is pretty small and only takes certain lenses, either a D50 or upwards id say but like Dan said, go into shops and try them to see which you prefur.

Stating that you want an SLR with a good zoom is kinda not right, as the lens isnt obviously fixed so you can pretty much add as much zoom as you want.

Either Canon or Nikon are very good and you won't be disapointed with either, it's down to personal preference.

(Y)

the olympus is tiny. and the grip is non existant. i wouldnt consider it really. its too small and has poor handling. also image quality is nowhere near that of the canon. the pentax k10 is reletivly nice as something that isnt canon or nikon.

you cant go wrong with a d80 or a 350 or 400d. i chose the 400d and really love it. I did a lot of research into it so i feel i have a good opinion on what to choose now. the d40 is basically a beginners slr, which is great but youd be quickly wanting to upgrade. The D80 is a great camera. great handling and features. good price and fantastic kit lenses. the 400d body is just as good and if you buy body only and say a sigma 18-200 you get similar lens quality for the same money. if you can cope with the kit lens on the 400d ( which isnt as bad as people have made out) then the canon with 18-55 is the best deal by far.

400d is a great piece of kit. If you are buying a "lens kit", then it's true the Canon lenses aren't QUITE as good as the Nikon. But if you go for body only, you have a massive amount of choice with the Canon.

400d imo is a superior camera to the Nikon's until you get to the D80.

The sensor cleaning DOES work! It is exactly the same as the Olympus system, there is a pizo-electric system which shakes the sensor every time the camera is powered up and shut down, but does not interfere with the start-up time which is still 0.2 seconds.

10mp doesn't really make a difference until you are really blowing up, or cropping to a massive degree.

9 frame auto focus, 3fps, LOTS of lens and accessory choice (battery grip with shutter release for example, giving you extra battery power AND another shutter for portrait shots if you need).

400d wins for me, yes it is smaller than the Nikon, so obviously get a feel for them, but in performance terms I think it pips it :)

Why would i want to buy a car Muel i'm only 14 and i don't want a MOD. Also i only have to pay for half of the camera my dad is paying the other half and we are going to share it.

I found a 400D for £440 and a 350D for £370 (both new) so i'll probably get one of those i'm just not sure which.

Joe

Well I didn't know that...

Actually £200 sounds pretty good to me now, especially when you see some of the pictures taken with them, My camera is a bit slow for stuff like this, it was the fastest reacting one in its class, but still isn't quick enough.

Get one if you want its up to you, I am going to get a vido cam once my bikes is sorted, so we will be able to have a mint site sorted out, Sorry for having a go Joe.

On the other hand, I heard you are getting a fluro yellow rim on the front of your bike? When you have red on the back, for some reason, I think it will look quite nice, do you want me to build it or is it getting built by a shop? I'll be doing Lukes soon he's probably buying a blue front hub.

Edited by KuelMuel

Well I didn't know that...

Actually £200 sounds pretty good to me now, especially when you see some of the pictures taken with them, My camera is a bit slow for stuff like this, it was the fastest reacting one in its class, but still isn't quick enough.

Get one if you want its up to you, I am going to get a vido cam once my bikes is sorted, so we will be able to have a mint site sorted out, Sorry for having a go Joe.

On the other hand, I heard you are getting a fluro yellow rim on the front of your bike? When you have red on the back, or some reason, I think it will look quite nice, do you want me to build it or is it getting built by a shop? I'll be doing Lukes soon he's probably buying a blue front hub.

It is being built by Tarty but it hasn't arrived yet, once i need a new rear it will be yellow to so it should look quite good. Are you riding tommorow?